How to capture reflections?

What do you think is/are the most important for shooting photo with reflection?

• Camera

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lighting

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Shutter speed

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Aperture

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • ISO

• White balance

• Other techniques

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

tony_1242

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I am a beginner in photography. Recently I am obsessed by those photos with clear reflections (not shadows). I find that it is easier to shoot photos like this outdoor with prefect sunlight and views. However, it is a totally different story indoor.

I read some article about this and bought a pure black and a pure transparent acrylic sheets for shooting. Without enough experience in lighting and photography, the reflections were hard to see. Or even worse, the pictures ended up with wrong exposure.

It is a big challenge for the beginners, so it will be great if anyone can share the valuable experience with us,thanks!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi 480sparky, I had just previewed this book online, and I believe it would be really helpful. Thank you for your good suggestion.

Hi all, I am a beginner in photography. Recently I am obsessed by those photos with clear reflections (not shadows). I find that it is easier to shoot photos like this outdoor with prefect sunlight and views. However, it is a totally different story indoor.

I read some article about this and bought a pure black and a pure transparent acrylic sheets for shooting. Without enough experience in lighting and photography, the reflections were hard to see. Or even worse, the pictures ended up with wrong exposure.

It is a big challenge for the beginners, so it will be great if anyone can share the valuable experience with us,thanks!
Okay, a bunch of comments.

1. Yes, read "Light: Science and Magic"....great book and it will help you immensely. One of the things you'll find out in it is that the material you're shooting influences your ability to capture the reflection.

2. The angle is everything (well, almost everything). And LSM will cover the "family of angles" in great detail. Getting higher or lower can enhance (or hide) the reflection.

3. Do you have a circular polarizer on the end of your camera? If so, that has the ability to eliminate reflections. It can also enhance them (by removing or enhancing certain colors...like the blue of the sky) thus making the reflection appear stronger and more vividly.

4. When you're shooting on a transparent surface (like clear water or glass) you will also get refraction (i.e.: the surface works like a lens and alters the subject...I'd attach an example but it's NSFW).

5. If you increase contrast during post-processing, that will usually enhance reflections.

Though I don't know much about reflections, heres two shots I've taken with the specifications. Hope that helps

d7000
f/4.5
1/400 s
ISO 200
42mm

DET_0202 1 by heather.koch43, on Flickr

d7000
f/5
1/30 s
ISO 160
82mm

DET_1860 by heather.koch43, on Flickr

Last edited:
Until you get the book, experiment with the lighting and angles. By the way, your poll is missing the most important item: something shiny to make the reflection. ;)

Here's a couple of reflection shots I did of my watches using a single flash experimenting with bouncing the light from different angles. I used the top of my HP all in one printer as it has a nice reflective black finish.

My%2520Watch.jpg

Black%2520Citizen%2520Watch.jpg

Thank you for the advice from all you guys. Now I realize that lighting and angle are important for making the reflection shots. If the setup and settings are correct, it is possible to shoot clear reflections on a transparent acrylic sheet like Heather Koch and Mr.Photo did their photos?

Thank you for the advice from all you guys. Now I realize that lighting and angle are important for making the reflection shots. If the setup and settings are correct, it is possible to shoot clear reflections on a transparent acrylic sheet like Heather Koch and Mr.Photo did their photos?

Since I didn't know the answer to that, I just tried it myself. Though I used a piece of glass from a photo frame, and use the back of the photo for the white underneath, and set up a box to hold up a white envelope and found these game pieces to test it out... I assume glass would be more reflective than acrylic sheet, but I am not 100% sure on that...

Heres the results -

DSC_1799 by heather.koch43, on Flickr

Heres the setup as describe above (used overhead kitchen lights and my on-camera flash) -

DSC_1801 by heather.koch43, on Flickr

Depth of field is something you need to consider when photographing reflections. Precise camera height and camera angle are also big factors in reflection shooting. At closer distances, the reflection will often be a little bit out of focus if the lens aperture is wide (like say f/2.8 or f/4).

Depth of field is something you need to consider when photographing reflections............

Braineacks' kitty photo shows this well..... the reflection on the left is OOF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back