What's new

How Would You Fill Your Gearbag With $7000

Canon 5D MKII - $2000
Canon 24-70 f/2.8 - $1000
Canon 17-40 f/4L - $575
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS MK I - $1500
Canon 85 f/1.8 - $300
Canon 15 f/2.8 - $500
Canon 430EX x 3 - $540
Cyber Syncs for 3 flashes - $270
Air cushioned light stands x 3 - $90
Shoot through umbrellas x 3 - $60
Umbrella adapters x 3 - $45

$6880 and I have a flexible kit that could make me money. I'd budget the other $120 on a tripod. The price on most of all pf my gear is about the used price.
 
Wow, I'm a little suprised that nobody's trying 3rd party lenses or scouring craigslist for used. Have you guys had bad experiences with 3rd party lenses? Craigslist?

Maybe people just have had good experience with first party lenses and little to no experience with 3rd party lenses. The only 3rd party I've ever really used was the Sigma 10-20 and I thought it was a fantastic lens. I own all the lenses listed in the list of the items I would purchase and I love them all.
 
I would fill it with 2 dollard coins. its about 70 rolls. should be enough to fill up the bag :lmao:
 
Used and CL prices fluctuate much more than new. It's like you could put a ballpark for what 7k could do on CL, but it would be a pretty rough guesstimate. Retail prices are much more realistic.
 
+1 for the 300 f2.8 IS
 
Used and CL prices fluctuate much more than new. It's like you could put a ballpark for what 7k could do on CL, but it would be a pretty rough guesstimate. Retail prices are much more realistic.

Cameras generally fluctated down and lenses normally stay pretty steady.
 
Wow, I'm a little suprised that nobody's trying 3rd party lenses or scouring craigslist for used. Have you guys had bad experiences with 3rd party lenses? Craigslist?

No bad experiences with 3rd party - but you only gave me $7000 to spend -- and long really nice lenses are really really expensive :(
For what its worth if you gave me another $7000 or so you could add most of what is in my signature to the list (3 great 3rd party lenses in there already ;) :)
 
Wow, I'm a little suprised that nobody's trying 3rd party lenses or scouring craigslist for used. Have you guys had bad experiences with 3rd party lenses? Craigslist?

No bad experiences with 3rd party - but you only gave me $7000 to spend -- and long really nice lenses are really really expensive :(
For what its worth if you gave me another $7000 or so you could add most of what is in my signature to the list (3 great 3rd party lenses in there already ;) :)

So in your estimation, would you say that to have your completed professional kit, it would take about $14K?
 
Wow, I'm a little suprised that nobody's trying 3rd party lenses or scouring craigslist for used. Have you guys had bad experiences with 3rd party lenses? Craigslist?

No bad experiences with 3rd party - but you only gave me $7000 to spend -- and long really nice lenses are really really expensive :(
For what its worth if you gave me another $7000 or so you could add most of what is in my signature to the list (3 great 3rd party lenses in there already ;) :)

So in your estimation, would you say that to have your completed professional kit, it would take about $14K?

Nope - a 500mm f4 (MII would be ideal!) would also be on the cards as well as 1DMIV bodies - Gitzo tripod. Heck if I've no cash limits I'd take an 800mm L as well.

And I've not even touched on remotes - laptop - hides - camo - rucksacks - trail cameras - video cameras (proper ones not just the DSLR kind) - audio recording.

And I'm not being sarcastic either (ok maybe I am with the 800mm L....). Wildlife -- its expensive :(
 
D700, 24-70, 70-200vr, sb600, maybe some PW's
 
I did not have $7000 all at one time, but my bag comes very close to $7000 (perhaps a bit over) at this point.
I would rather have lots of glass than an expensive body I might not need. That being said, I would have bought the D300s over the D90.
I love the D90 except I need the weather sealing and the better AF.

D90 + 18-105 kit
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR1
Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8
Nikon 85mm f/1.4D
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Nikon SB600 flash
Manfroto tripod and ballhead
remotes shutter releases - wired and wireless

I'm thrilled with all items, but I would have bought the D300s instead had I the cash and knew how much I was going to get into photography.
D400 is my next body. TC-14E is in my future too, but the prices need to come back to earth before I get one.
 
Canon EOS 7D
Canon 24-105 f/4L IS USM
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon Speedlite 580 EX II
Giotoss Monopod
Benro Ball Head
 
Wow, I'm a little suprised that nobody's trying 3rd party lenses or scouring craigslist for used. Have you guys had bad experiences with 3rd party lenses? Craigslist?
I buy MOST of my gear through Craig's List and similar 'sites. To date:

-Nikon f5
-Nikkor 70-200 2.8
-Nikkor 35mm f2
-SB 600
-5 PWs
-1 Metz & 2 Sunpak 'Hammerheads'
-Mamiya 645 AFD
-Lenses for Mamiya
-Box load of filters...

To answer the OPs question: A good "pro-sumer" body, and a couple of fast zooms and speedlights, grip, spare batteries, memory cards and filters.
 
$7k almost equals my whole setup :) Since I'm happy with it, this will be my pick.

All at the prices I paid. Everything bought new.

Nikon D7000
MB-D11 Grip
Sencond Battery
Nikon SB-600
Flash Gel Kit
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G
Tokina 12-24mm f/4 II
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8G VR II
Lowpro D650
Manfrotto 190XPROB
Manfrotto 488RC2
BlackRapid RS-7 Strap
Westcott 750 Lightstand
Impact 45 inch. umbrella
Impact shoe mount
Memory Cards
Nikon 77mm Circular Polarizer
Nikon 77mm UV Filter
AA Battery Charger + NiMH Batteries
Total

[TD="align: right"]$1,200.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$50.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$50.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$225.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$38.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$200.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$500.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$1,700.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$1,750.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$105.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$150.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$110.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$65.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$22.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$15.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$15.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$75.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$145.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$70.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$70.00[/TD]

[TD="align: right"]$6,555.00[/TD]


I think that's everything!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom