I am a beginner with my new Nikon D500 ..

Nice start! I also use a d500. It will take a little getting used to. Take the advice from the others and try different settings. Practice, practices, practice

Nice start! I also use a d500. It will take a little getting used to. Take the advice from the others and try different settings. Practice, practices, practice
thank you

Nice first pics! Do some bracketing with each pic to learn what works. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can guess at the settings pretty well. I'm going outside to the pond right now to see what birds are hanging around.

The relatively new 200-500mm f/5.6 would make a great birthday gift...

Nice first pics! Do some bracketing with each pic to learn what works. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can guess at the settings pretty well. I'm going outside to the pond right now to see what birds are hanging around.
I would love to see a few of yours... if you put them up let me know... thanks

I put a few up awhile ago under "In And Around The Lake". I'm a newb myself.

I put a few up awhile ago under "In And Around The Lake". I'm a newb myself.
I will look thanks

i am still stuggling with all the different settings.. but it has been fun .. i will keep on trying my best.. looking into a new lens next month for birthday.. but in the meantime.. practice and constantly trying new settings. just learning all this is a challenge i enjoy.. wish i could do this all day..lol.. but in between i work around here.. this one i took yesterday.. I know theres so much room for improvement but i will get there.. thanks so much for all your help
1-birds 020-001.JPG

i am still struggling with all the different settings.. but it has been fun .. i will keep on trying my best.. looking into a new lens next month for birthday.. but in the meantime.. practice and constantly trying new settings. just learning all this is a challenge i enjoy.. wish i could do this all day..lol.. but in between i work around here.. this one i took yesterday.. I know theres so much room for improvement but i will get there.. thanks so much for all your helpView attachment 170303
He is looking down at all the new food..lol. calling all his friends..i hope

i am still struggling with all the different settings.. but it has been fun .. i will keep on trying my best.. looking into a new lens next month for birthday.. but in the meantime.. practice and constantly trying new settings. just learning all this is a challenge i enjoy.. wish i could do this all day..lol.. but in between i work around here.. this one i took yesterday.. I know theres so much room for improvement but i will get there.. thanks so much for all your helpView attachment 170303
Lord, I hope it isn't McDonalds french fries that he's looking at.

Lord, I hope it isn't McDonalds french fries that he's looking at.
no left over parrot...cockatiel and parakeet food..lol

Can you tell us what lens and settings you used for that last picture? That would give a point to adjust from. (if you want tips, that is)

Last edited:
Good exposure (although as mentioned above you can lower your ISO, get better quality files, without losing your shallow depth of field (if a choice) as your shutter speeds are really high (a monopod can be of service for slower shutter speeds). AS for composition I would try and go away for right in your face, right in the middle ready for a bird-seed packet illustration one. Try to move your bird(s) around the frame, make them play more with the environment (shapes and/or colors) to get a more complete "all-over" image which would also reveal the photographer from his/her choices (not just the subject unless it is all you are interested in, no harm in that either).

Most reactions

Back