I am a beginner with my new Nikon D500 ..

I was thinking of getting this lens..
Nikon Nikkor AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 G VR Lens and slowly start to build up a little collection of nikkor lenses and sell off my tamrons..thanks
Sounds like you have already done some reading about it. I see that B&H price is around $300 or $250 refurbished. It looks good to me.

From my perspective; Nikon didn't need to put VR on such a short lens, and why did they make it a zoom?

Incidentally, my wish list includes the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED, which is not a zoom. Would you consider the additional purchase of a 10.5mm f/2.8 G ED? Yes, this means two lenses, and changing lenses, but each of these are superb primes.
yes i would.. i do not mind changing the lens.. having two really good ones would make me happy... i will look into this one..thanks
That lens would be way to slow. 4.5/5.6 It's going to Hunt for focus. and why a 10/20MM your gonna get distortion. Pls send me a email telling me what you have Now and what subjects interest you going forward. Optics are Much More Important than any camera.
[email protected] Nikons 12/24 Is top Pro level Glass. I shoot Mostly with primes. One of the greatest that ever Lived Had One Lens for 45 years a 35. you want closer or wider?......walk he used to say.
okay thanks ... i will scratch that idea.. although it is probably better then my tamron.. i do not want to hunt for focus..anymore then i do now.. thanks so much..

heres a practice recipe for you. along with shutter speed Being as Fast as possible and Knowing when the Principles of DOF No Longer exist capturing Birds In Flight is quite easy. It does take Practice. go to where folks are Playing Basketball/Hoops and practice trying to follow the Ball. do this a few Hours and It's a piece of cake. shoot till your finger Bleeds. seriously. heres a shot. I was asked to come to Pensacola Florida to shoot the Blue Angels By the commander Of the Base as His Wife had organized a Portrait studio workshop In there Home. Heres a Jet going Past the Grandstand I was in, at Right under the speed of sound. Nikon D3 nikon 70-200 2.8 with a 1.7 TCE adapter. you can read the Pilots name On his Helmet. Both Images. also Im including a action shot called Trap Focus. the Bike was going 140/150 ish. You focus where hes going to be then Lock It and wait till he comes into to the area. really simple. Of course you need Lot Of Light. file #4394 a Rollover was a composite. I have about 4,000 Cloud Images In a folder Of every type Of cloud you can Image In every situation. It's called "Making Photographs" instead Of just Taking Pictures. Im not going to spend all that time and Money going anywhere without a great sky. especially Landscapes. Gone are the Days Of film and waiting For a sky.....LOL especially when I shot 11 x 14. at $72 a shot.Need any specific questions answered. Just ask. or write me at [email protected] Im here to share. Teaching is what I like more than anything at 76 years old.
you are a blessing an a great asset to this forum site... Just sharing here is helping alot and alot of people will come to know you and learn.. .. you have certainly impressed me so i am thrilled to meet you..I honestly do not need or want a career anymore.. {wish i had known years ago how much i would love photography.. but in this life and time i do enjoy it so much but in a casual non demanding way... I wish i could spend more time at it and like everyone else have more money to buy all the bells and whistles but i have many pets ..and love taking care of them etc.. .. i am totally satisfied with learning and getting a little better each and every shot with my camera.. love seeing all my pets and wild life in crisp photos by me.... inbetween i don't mind deleting the rest.. because i know they all cannot be great or my best.. you must have had a wonderful career and life creating such beautiful masterpieces.. it is art. You are a very special artist with talent so immense ... thank you for offering your help.. it is appreciated...we will all excel from your kind expertise..

heres a practice recipe for you. along with shutter speed Being as Fast as possible and Knowing when the Principles of DOF No Longer exist capturing Birds In Flight is quite easy. It does take Practice. go to where folks are Playing Basketball/Hoops and practice trying to follow the Ball. do this a few Hours and It's a piece of cake. shoot till your finger Bleeds. seriously. heres a shot. I was asked to come to Pensacola Florida to shoot the Blue Angels By the commander Of the Base as His Wife had organized a Portrait studio workshop In there Home. Heres a Jet going Past the Grandstand I was in, at Right under the speed of sound. Nikon D3 nikon 70-200 2.8 with a 1.7 TCE adapter. you can read the Pilots name On his Helmet. Both Images. also Im including a action shot called Trap Focus. the Bike was going 140/150 ish. You focus where hes going to be then Lock It and wait till he comes into to the area. really simple. Of course you need Lot Of Light. file #4394 a Rollover was a composite. I have about 4,000 Cloud Images In a folder Of every type Of cloud you can Image In every situation. It's called "Making Photographs" instead Of just Taking Pictures. Im not going to spend all that time and Money going anywhere without a great sky. especially Landscapes. Gone are the Days Of film and waiting For a sky.....LOL especially when I shot 11 x 14. at $72 a shot.Need any specific questions answered. Just ask. or write me at [email protected] Im here to share. Teaching is what I like more than anything at 76 years old.
you are a blessing an a great asset to this forum site... Just sharing here is helping alot and alot of people will come to know you and learn.. .. you have certainly impressed me so i am thrilled to meet you..I honestly do not need or want a career anymore.. {wish i had known years ago how much i would love photography.. but in this life and time i do enjoy it so much but in a casual non demanding way... I wish i could spend more time at it and like everyone else have more money to buy all the bells and whistles but i have many pets ..and love taking care of them etc.. .. i am totally satisfied with learning and getting a little better each and every shot with my camera.. love seeing all my pets and wild life in crisp photos by me.... inbetween i don't mind deleting the rest.. because i know they all cannot be great or my best.. you must have had a wonderful career and life creating such beautiful masterpieces.. it is art. You are a very special artist with talent so immense ... thank you for offering your help.. it is appreciated...we will all excel from your kind expertise..

All god advice there and I might add this. It's a little tricky but by practicing being quick at pushing the button down halfway for just a split second for the camera to adjust focus and then the rest of the way for the actual picture will help. it's not as easy as pre focusing but if you don't know where your subject is going to be you need to practice this. Also, try with your camera pre set to a AV and a fast shutter speed like 1/500th or 1/1000th to help stop blurring. Plus, "continuous burst" can be your friend. Your chances of getting one good pic increases when several are taken, vs. just one pic. E.G. 1 pic may equal 1 bad pic whereas 6 pics may produce 5 bad and 1 good pic. The one that matters. I know, a lot to remember but with time you'll be doing it more reflexively! Muscle memory is underrated.

Last edited:
yes good advice Kirk.. thanks

Already, your results are crisper,although the Buzzard shows a slight bit of either lens issue,or very slight shutter speed blurring, or possibly a very slightly missed focus
Seeing that it's a moving target my money would be on one you mentioned, the shutter speed. A 1/500th usually does a decent job for me if there isn't too much movement but for something like that I would personally go 1000th for peace of mind. Out Slightly out of focus could be the culprit as well. Of course we don't always know what opportunities will instantly pop up and we have to just accept what we get with the settings prior to, SUPRISE! SNAP ME NOW OR NEVER!" lol!
it happened suddenly .. i looked up and there he was.. next time i will remain calmer..
Ha, knew it! That's the case at times. It may help to practice turning your upper torso smoothly (as if on a gimble) to follow the subject with your arms fixed to hold the camera still, all the while keeping everything from the hips on down in place and feet planted. In a nutshell, follow with your body, not your hands or arms if that makes sense. it also helps in reducing any shake. That seems to help me, it feels smoother. Try it and see what you think.

Already, your results are crisper,although the Buzzard shows a slight bit of either lens issue,or very slight shutter speed blurring, or possibly a very slightly missed focus
Seeing that it's a moving target my money would be on one you mentioned, the shutter speed. A 1/500th usually does a decent job for me if there isn't too much movement but for something like that I would personally go 1000th for peace of mind. Out Slightly out of focus could be the culprit as well. Of course we don't always know what opportunities will instantly pop up and we have to just accept what we get with the settings prior to, SUPRISE! SNAP ME NOW OR NEVER!" lol!
it happened suddenly .. i looked up and there he was.. next time i will remain calmer..
Ha, knew it! That's the case at times. It may help to practice turning your upper torso smoothly (as if on a gimble) to follow the subject with your arms fixed to hold the camera still, all the while keeping everything from the hips on down in place and feet planted. In a nutshell, follow with your body, not your hands or arms if that makes sense. it also helps in reducing any shake. That seems to help me, it feels smoother. Try it and see what you think.
I will try it the next nice day.. i will be watching for Big Bird.. the most problem i remember is that the zoom did not go far enough..straining to focus.. he was pretty far up there and i had many opportunities with him flying over my head.. but later cropping and finding out the focus was out was a lost chance..i think it is a eagle.. actually there was a pair flying together but too far and wide to get it..

I will try it the next nice day.. i will be watching for Big Bird.. the most problem i remember is that the zoom did not go far enough..straining to focus.. he was pretty far up there and i had many opportunities with him flying over my head.. but later cropping and finding out the focus was out was a lost chance..i think it is a eagle.. actually there was a pair flying together but too far and wide to get it..

I feel the same way about my small tele, 70-200 mm lens and I'm contemplating getting the latest model Tamron, SP 150-600mm. $1000 isn't cheap, though.

Last edited:

I feel the same way about my small tele, 70-200 mm lens and I'm contemplating getting the latest model Tamron, 150-600mm. $1000 isn't cheap, though.
No it isn't but if you can swing it ..it will be worth it..i will check this one out.. haha..so confused with all the lens info but i don't want to make a mistake this time around

I feel the same way about my small tele, 70-200 mm lens and I'm contemplating getting the latest model Tamron, 150-600mm. $1000 isn't cheap, though.
No it isn't but if you can swing it ..it will be worth it..i will check this one out.. haha..so confused with all the lens info but i don't want to make a mistake this time around

I just found it on amazon for $899, new, a little less for "good used" and "used". I may just pop for a very good used one since it's mostly very minor cosmetic flaws with them which no one will ever see. GL!

I just found it on amazon for $899, new, a little less for "good used" and "used". I may just pop for a very good used one since it's mostly very minor cosmetic flaws with them which no one will ever see. GL!
I was just looking at it on line..i wanted to hear the video reviews of it but my sound on pc is down..only thing is it looked heavy.. it did have great reviews from what i read/

You're right, it is a little hefty at 4.25 lbs. but like with most everything, there's a trade off. I'll keep looking for something lighter but I think we're pretty limited on our "cheap" choices here. If you run across anything, please let me know, thanks!

You're right, it is a little hefty at 4.25 lbs. but like with most everything, there's a trade off. I'll keep looking for something lighter but I think we're pretty limited on our "cheap" choices here. If you run across anything, please let me know, thanks!
i don't mind the weight much when i get some nice photos..

A few years back, the 150-600 range was the "hot,new thing"...

A few years back, the 150-600 range was the "hot,new thing"...
So do you think they have improved it since then..

Most reactions

Back