I am a beginner with my new Nikon D500 ..

I went through all the settings including white balance..something is still off.. will work on it this afternoon.. for sure..thanks
Sometimes you just have to reset everything to factory settings.
i think thats what i will be doing..
READ your =manual all the way through 3 Times and keep it in your Bathroom. Have No idea why folks throw it in a deawer. I can Take apart My cameras.

Are you talking about the manual which comes with Nikon camera box.. I have to dig into my shelf to find the valuable manual!
I had a thought to go through it atleast once but never got time for it.. I know its an excuse or say enthusiasm to get started with clicking with new camera that I neglected going through the manual.

Thanks Rinderart!

In your opinion what is a good zoom lens for the d500 that is within a reasonable price..I believe you.. the tamron lens for was a great learning tool for me.. but it has its limits now..thank you
Define "good".

What is a "reasonable price"? (according to your budget)

Zoom lenses are all somewhat of a compromise, and frankly, many people like and even prefer zoom lenses. So what is acceptable among many photographers might not be for everyone.

I own two zooms; a 24-85 3.5-4.5, and a 70-300 4.5-5.6 G VR. The 24-85 resides on my camera for every day shooting. Both of those have been recommended by someone who is very knowledgeable about lenses, so I bought them. Most of my lenses are primes and they each have their uses.

I have heard very positive comments about one in particular that I do not own, but it is too expensive for me, as I am not able to expense it on my income taxes. This one: NikonAF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Lens If you can justify its price, get it. (note; I just saw two listings under $2,000, on the internet.) You probably will not find a used one, because they are new and nobody who owns one will be selling it anytime soon.

Another one if you really need reach is the venerable 200-500 5.6, which is very good for birding and other wildlife photography. Even a used one is out my budget for now.

In your opinion what is a good zoom lens for the d500 that is within a reasonable price..I believe you.. the tamron lens for was a great learning tool for me.. but it has its limits now..thank you
Define "good".

What is a "reasonable price"? (according to your budget)

Zoom lenses are all somewhat of a compromise, and frankly, many people like and even prefer zoom lenses. So what is acceptable among many photographers might not be for everyone.

I own two zooms; a 24-85 3.5-4.5, and a 70-300 4.5-5.6 G VR. The 24-85 resides on my camera for every day shooting. Both of those have been recommended by someone who is very knowledgeable about lenses, so I bought them. Most of my lenses are primes and they each have their uses.

I have heard very positive comments about one in particular that I do not own, but it is too expensive for me, as I am not able to expense it on my income taxes. This one: NikonAF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Lens If you can justify its price, get it. (note; I just saw two listings under $2,000, on the internet.) You probably will not find a used one, because they are new and nobody who owns one will be selling it anytime soon.

Another one if you really need reach is the venerable 200-500 5.6, which is very good for birding and other wildlife photography. Even a used one is out my budget for now.
I was thinking of getting this lens..
Nikon Nikkor AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 G VR Lens and slowly start to build up a little collection of nikkor lenses and sell off my tamrons.. I read that it was lightweight and reasonably priced for all it does..

Last edited:
Nikon Nikkor AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 G VR Lens and slowly start to build up a little collection of nikkor lenses and sell off my tamrons..thanks
Sounds like you have already done some reading about it. I see that B&H price is around $300 or $250 refurbished. It looks good to me.

From my perspective; Nikon didn't need to put VR on such a short lens, and why did they make it a zoom?

Incidentally, my wish list includes the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED, which is not a zoom. Would you consider the additional purchase of a 10.5mm f/2.8 G ED? Yes, this means two lenses, and changing lenses, but each of these are superb primes.

Nikon Nikkor AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 G VR Lens and slowly start to build up a little collection of nikkor lenses and sell off my tamrons..thanks
Sounds like you have already done some reading about it. I see that B&H price is around $300 or $250 refurbished. It looks good to me.

From my perspective; Nikon didn't need to put VR on such a short lens, and why did they make it a zoom?

Incidentally, my wish list includes the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED, which is not a zoom. Would you consider the additional purchase of a 10.5mm f/2.8 G ED? Yes, this means two lenses, and changing lenses, but each of these are superb primes.
yes i would.. i do not mind changing the lens.. having two really good ones would make me happy... i will look into this one..thanks

heres a practice recipe for you. along with shutter speed Being as Fast as possible and Knowing when the Principles of DOF No Longer exist capturing Birds In Flight is quite easy. It does take Practice. go to where folks are Playing Basketball/Hoops and practice trying to follow the Ball. do this a few Hours and It's a piece of cake. shoot till your finger Bleeds. seriously. heres a shot. I was asked to come to Pensacola Florida to shoot the Blue Angels By the commander Of the Base as His Wife had organized a Portrait studio workshop In there Home. Heres a Jet going Past the Grandstand I was in, at Right under the speed of sound. Nikon D3 nikon 70-200 2.8 with a 1.7 TCE adapter. you can read the Pilots name On his Helmet. Both Images. also Im including a action shot called Trap Focus. the Bike was going 140/150 ish. You focus where hes going to be then Lock It and wait till he comes into to the area. really simple. Of course you need Lot Of Light. file #4394 a Rollover was a composite. I have about 4,000 Cloud Images In a folder Of every type Of cloud you can Image In every situation. It's called "Making Photographs" instead Of just Taking Pictures. Im not going to spend all that time and Money going anywhere without a great sky. especially Landscapes. Gone are the Days Of film and waiting For a sky.....LOL especially when I shot 11 x 14. at $72 a shot.Need any specific questions answered. Just ask. or write me at [email protected] Im here to share. Teaching is what I like more than anything at 76 years old.

Attachments

• CAT 3362 CD133 RACING 4.jpg
    CAT 3362 CD133 RACING 4.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 74
  • CAT 4375 CD184  FLAT OUT SPEED.jpg
    CAT 4375 CD184 FLAT OUT SPEED.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 74
  • CAT 4394 CD184 DIVING.jpg
    CAT 4394 CD184 DIVING.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 93
  • CAT 7052 CD251 MONUMENT VALLEY.jpg
    CAT 7052 CD251 MONUMENT VALLEY.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 55
  • CAT 2539 D CD94  THE BIG CAMERA  0008.jpg
    CAT 2539 D CD94 THE BIG CAMERA 0008.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 78

yes i would.. i do not mind changing the lens.. having two really good ones would make me happy... i will look into this one..thanks
That lens would be way to slow. 4.5/5.6 It's going to Hunt for focus. and why a 10/20MM your gonna get distortion. Pls send me a email telling me what you have Now and what subjects interest you going forward. Optics are Much More Important than any camera.
[email protected] Nikons 12/24 Is top Pro level Glass. I shoot Mostly with primes. One of the greatest that ever Lived Had One Lens for 45 years a 35. you want closer or wider?......walk he used to say.

right now i am having a problem.. i seem to be getting very clear photos but sort of a yellow cast to them.. i must go through all the settings again and find out why i am experiencing this..
Could be a white balance issue. What is your WB setting?
I went through all the settings including white balance..something is still off.. will work on it this afternoon.. for sure..thanksView attachment 170361
I don't see what's off in this pic, it looks great to me but then again I have untrained, newbular, segmented fish eyes, heh! What do I know?!

muddy_mudskipper.jpg

(Not calling you a lousy bum.)

Already, your results are crisper,although the Buzzard shows a slight bit of either lens issue,or very slight shutter speed blurring, or possibly a very slightly missed focus
Seeing that it's a moving target my money would be on one you mentioned, the shutter speed. A 1/500th usually does a decent job for me if there isn't too much movement but for something like that I would personally go 1000th for peace of mind. Out Slightly out of focus could be the culprit as well. Of course we don't always know what opportunities will instantly pop up and we have to just accept what we get with the settings prior to, SUPRISE! SNAP ME NOW OR NEVER!" lol!

..i did something somewhere that i should have left alone..lol thanks
If you mean the WB setting, you can almost always set it to "auto" and the shot will be fine. You will then have to remember to change it when the lighting is weird, such as all tungsten, or all fluorescent, for instance. I will have my "default" settings as; auto WB, auto ISO, and either manual or aperture priority. This is pretty much how I leave the camera when I'm not using it so when I pick it up, I just have a couple of things to check and I'm ready to shoot. So depending on the subject, I may need to change to aperture or shutter priority, or leave it in manual. Make it easy on yourself.
your right.. why i had to go through each and every setting and change it all was dumb.... but i think i am okay now.. i took this photo moments ago.. i also saw some eagles.. and wished i had a better zoom lens.. View attachment 170370 View attachment 170371
Hey Lady, that rooster photo is kickin'!! (pun intended)

..i did something somewhere that i should have left alone..lol thanks
If you mean the WB setting, you can almost always set it to "auto" and the shot will be fine. You will then have to remember to change it when the lighting is weird, such as all tungsten, or all fluorescent, for instance. I will have my "default" settings as; auto WB, auto ISO, and either manual or aperture priority. This is pretty much how I leave the camera when I'm not using it so when I pick it up, I just have a couple of things to check and I'm ready to shoot. So depending on the subject, I may need to change to aperture or shutter priority, or leave it in manual. Make it easy on yourself.
your right.. why i had to go through each and every setting and change it all was dumb.... but i think i am okay now.. i took this photo moments ago.. i also saw some eagles.. and wished i had a better zoom lens.. View attachment 170370 View attachment 170371
Hey Lady, that rooster photo is kickin'!! (pun intended)
thanks but not a rooster.... lol this is my rooster .and she is one of his chicks..
1-1-1-1-horses and chickens 072.JPG

Already, your results are crisper,although the Buzzard shows a slight bit of either lens issue,or very slight shutter speed blurring, or possibly a very slightly missed focus
Seeing that it's a moving target my money would be on one you mentioned, the shutter speed. A 1/500th usually does a decent job for me if there isn't too much movement but for something like that I would personally go 1000th for peace of mind. Out Slightly out of focus could be the culprit as well. Of course we don't always know what opportunities will instantly pop up and we have to just accept what we get with the settings prior to, SUPRISE! SNAP ME NOW OR NEVER!" lol!
it happened suddenly .. i looked up and there he was.. next time i will remain calmer..

right now i am having a problem.. i seem to be getting very clear photos but sort of a yellow cast to them.. i must go through all the settings again and find out why i am experiencing this..
Could be a white balance issue. What is your WB setting?
I went through all the settings including white balance..something is still off.. will work on it this afternoon.. for sure..thanksView attachment 170361
I don't see what's off in this pic, it looks great to me but then again I have untrained, newbular, segmented fish eyes, heh! What do I know?!

View attachment 170408

(Not calling you a lousy bum.)
haha love these guys.. we had a couple for a few years.. mudskippers..

That lens would be way to slow. 4.5/5.6 It's going to Hunt for focus. and why a 10/20MM your gonna get distortion. Pls send me a email telling me what you have Now and what subjects interest you going forward. Optics are Much More Important than any camera.
[email protected] Nikons 12/24 Is top Pro level Glass. I shoot Mostly with primes. One of the greatest that ever Lived Had One Lens for 45 years a 35. you want closer or wider?......walk he used to say.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back