I dropped my 55-200VR lens...*tears*

Well i mean if your bought it from a photography specific store then id say don't do it because they will know. If its a store like best buy do it because those shoe makers have no clue what they're talking about anyways. This all depends if there visible damage to it

....I suggest taking it to where you bought it and try to exchange it and play stupid on what happened....
That would be dishonest, and it was ill-advised of you to advocate such an action as a permanent written record here at TPF.

I feel fro you, but don't give up on it. My son dropped miine in the toilet. It didn't work for over a year and then I tried to manual focus it and heard some clicking. It stated working and has worked fine ever since.

Luckily it was only a 55-200, not a 2000 dollar lens!

I did exacty this with the 18-55 kit lens. You won't be able to fix it, but it can be fixed. It may not come under warranty though, because it's been dropped. Call Nikon's service dept and ask them how much it will cost. It can be fixed, they fixed the one I broke.

does it focus manually?

....I suggest taking it to where you bought it and try to exchange it and play stupid on what happened....
That would be dishonest, and it was ill-advised of you to advocate such an action as a permanent written record here at TPF.

Completely understandable, but just trying to give a fellow TPF'er a break here. If it's that bad then i would like to withdraw my statement and apologize to the community, i mean no harm i just want to help.

Personally, such a cheap lens I wouldn't bother getting it repaired I would just take this as a lesson and buy another.

Personally, such a cheap lens I wouldn't bother getting it repaired I would just take this as a lesson and buy another.

Honestly, as harsh as it may seem, this was my first thought too.
Luckily it's a kit lens, and they are constantly available used and refurb'd for pretty good prices.

That being said, we can't assume the OP has an endless supply of $.

Sorry for your loss. Broken equipment suuuuuuucks. :(

For some people $200 or even $150 is a lot of money. I know I'd be devastated if I broke my 50mm 1.8 because I know I can't really afford to buy another one right now even at $100. Life is expensive. Maybe the OP is in a tight money situation?

Yep love my 55-200vr and been using it as a main walkaround last 6 months.
And yep has the least build quality compared to other consumer entry type lenses.

Being plastic and a tad fragile dropping many leads to parts broken or becoming loose.
Resulting in a unusable lens and not covered by warranty.

Sorry but unless you take it back and fain ignorance and hope for a replacement.
Then will have to eat the loss as not fixable in any normal sense by the user.

does it focus manually?

Try this.. ^^^

If it does, you can still use it. Besides being able to focus manually is a great skill to master, ans this would make for great practice.

Taking it back and trying to exchange it as if it was broken when you purchased it, IMHO is akin to theft........

My humble .02

55-200'S aren't even $200, just buy a new one, it would be alot faster than a 6 week repair and probably within $40 of the cost of repair.

I suggest taking it to where you bought it and try to exchange it and play stupid on what happened, if that doesn't go well ask if its fixable

Really? Come on... You screwed your lens up by not being as careful as you should have been. Send it in and pay to have it fixed like a responsible adult. People who do ^that^ kind of stuff are what's wrong with this world.

Happy Shooting,
~Jason

Completely understandable, but just trying to give a fellow TPF'er a break here. If it's that bad then i would like to withdraw my statement and apologize to the community, i mean no harm i just want to help.

Okay okay... But still a crappy comment.

Most reactions

Back