I have a problem with my Nikon D500.. please help

I have to agree with jcdeboever. It's a card issue.

The initial description was that the camera delete program asked Yes or No ... yes was chosen by the OP and it did not delete ... no was selected and the images were deleted.
How would this be caused by the Card ?

I know what she said. If I connect my camera to the PC to download images, it will ask if I want to delete the files upon download. NO! (I'm assuming this is what happened) Download them but, delete them and/or format the card within the camera.

Last edited:
I took about 100 shots in RAW using my Nikon D500 on a 4GB SD card. The pictures were fine on camera. But when I tried to see NRF files on my Mac after transfer some of them showed a blank screen. I can’t view the pictures in program.’ Then efficient photo repair software such as Stellar Repair for Photo is the best way to repair corrupt RAW camera files. However, you may try Apple’s Photo Repair tool or photo editing programs to fix certain types of corruption in photos.

Never format a card on a computer and stick it back into the camera. I would say just put another card in and remember to format it in camera only. Another thing, don't delete images off your card when in camera.
I always deleted photos both ways...

Not a good idea. Just as the PC will mess up the file allocation table (fat table), deleting files in the card from the camera can do the same. Think of it this way, if you formatted your card in camera, bits of the images are still allocated inside, hence you can actually perform a rescue and recover them even if you formatted. The camera literally will save the information of the images until you start shooting again and that info will be over written. Example: your on a shoot and take 20 images, downloaded them on a computer, put the card back in the camera, and format it...there is data from those 20 images still on it that you can recover using software on a computer. It will still be there until you have taken 20 more images.

When you format the card in a computer, it is much more sophisticated and handles that fat table differently. The camera handles that fat table in a much less sophisticated way. That's why your camera didn't know what to do.

I used to do data recovery and it is much more complex than I am stating, just trying to simplify it for you. I once had a woman bring me her computer, she wanted to find out what her husband was doing on the PC, she didn't think I could find out because he cleared his history and deleted files. Um, I recovered all of his history going 6 months back, plus recovered documents and images.

I recently recovered a micro sd card in a phone for a friend. She was deleting her images on her phone and it messed up the fat table on the card. She was devastated because all her images were on there and she didn't back it up on line. I recovered all her images ( well over 2000). We then put a new card in the phone, formatted it in phone, and set up a Google account to back it up moving forward. I also uploaded all her old images on Google photos. She will never have that issue again.
WOW>>>>> I have alot to learn...... and it just gets more and more complicated. So how exactly do you do this.
So do you think i created these two issues myself?

I took about 100 shots in RAW using my Nikon D500 on a 4GB SD card. The pictures were fine on camera. But when I tried to see NRF files on my Mac after transfer some of them showed a blank screen. I can’t view the pictures in program.’ Then efficient photo repair software such as Stellar Repair for Photo is the best way to repair corrupt RAW camera files. However, you may try Apple’s Photo Repair tool or photo editing programs to fix certain types of corruption in photos.
I have windows 10

I have to agree with jcdeboever. It's a card issue.

The initial description was that the camera delete program asked Yes or No ... yes was chosen by the OP and it did not delete ... no was selected and the images were deleted.
How would this be caused by the Card ?

I know what she said. If I connect my camera to the PC to download images, it will ask if I want to delete the files upon download. NO! (I'm assuming this is what happened) Download them but, delete them and/or format the card within the camera.
Yes this is exactly what happens

Sounds like a firmware issue with the camera it self.Haven you tried shooting with two cards second card to back everything you shoot so each shot is recorded on both cards then try deleting from card 1 and 2 if the yes or no to delete has the same issue then not likely two cards being the problem. I would reset the camera back to factory defaults then try again then update the latest firmware if you haven't already. Process of elimination.

Sounds like a firmware issue with the camera it self.Haven you tried shooting with two cards second card to back everything you shoot so each shot is recorded on both cards then try deleting from card 1 and 2 if the yes or no to delete has the same issue then not likely two cards being the problem. I would reset the camera back to factory defaults then try again then update the latest firmware if you haven't already. Process of elimination.
i can only use one card ,, just the SD card...never bought the XQD card... so i can only use one card at a time.. thanks

As other s have mentioned, NEVER format a memory card with your computer, ALWAYS do it in camera. Additionally, when you want to start with a fresh card format it in your camera, this writes file directory data to the root level of the card so the camera knows where to file images.

The next step is to reset the camera to factory defaults, format a card, take a few photos, transfer them via card reader or camera to your computer, make sure you EJECT the memory disk before yanking the cork or pulling the card out. If you use Nikon ViewNX-i for transferring, there is an option to eject the card after transfer in the preferences, I highly suggest using it to avoid pulling out a card while still mounted on your computers OS.

BTW, which brand of card are you using?

As other s have mentioned, NEVER format a memory card with your computer, ALWAYS do it in camera. Additionally, when you want to start with a fresh card format it in your camera, this writes file directory data to the root level of the card so the camera knows where to file images.

The next step is to reset the camera to factory defaults, format a card, take a few photos, transfer them via card reader or camera to your computer, make sure you EJECT the memory disk before yanking the cork or pulling the card out. If you use Nikon ViewNX-i for transferring, there is an option to eject the card after transfer in the preferences, I highly suggest using it to avoid pulling out a card while still mounted on your computers OS.

BTW, which brand of card are you using?
do you think it is the card... do you think i need to update firmware... i use sand disk cards.. mostly.. but a couple others as well.. which is the cards you use.. i will look up viewNX,, i have just been using windows 10 photo editing.. thank you

Your firmware looks like it is not up to date, see this page:
Nikon | Download center | D500

Sandisk are quality cards, I have used them exclusively since 2003.
thank you.. i am too scared to do this.. update.. i really would be very upset if i messed up my camera .. i will send to NIkon and have them tune it up and firmware the upload.. i read it is pretty easy to do.. but so scary too..

thank you.. i am too scared to do this.. update.. i really would be very upset if i messed up my camera .. i will send to NIkon and have them tune it up and firmware the upload.. i read it is pretty easy to do.. but so scary too..

That is your call but the instructions are pretty clear on the download site. Never the less, if you haven’t cleaned the sensor might as well have Nikon do that for you as well.

If i buy a new card and format it do you think it will solve this issue..going to order one now..thank you

I definitely think you should try a different card. Doesn't have to be a new one. Preferably one you haven't used in this camera and/or may have done the same thing to. (Make sure there isn't anything on it you want to keep because, it will be gone.) Format it in the camera right away and see what happens.

As far as the firmware update is concerned, I doubt that's the issue. I see nothing about memory issues.

Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.15 to 1.20
  • • The camera now also supports direct Wi-Fi connections to devices running SnapBridge. For more information, see the “Addendum to the User’s Manual” in which this feature is described. Before using this feature, upgrade to the following version of the app:
    • - SnapBridge version 2.5.4 or later
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - The camera sometimes had trouble focusing on subjects in the focus points at the edges of the frame.
    • - The camera would sometimes stop responding during shooting in continuous high-speed (CH) release mode.
    • - The camera would sometimes not turn off after the power switch was rotated to “OFF”.

As far as doing the update yourself, it can be a bit daunting. I was nervous at first. I won't lie. But, there are some great tutorials on Youtube. I strongly suggest watching it several times first, so there are no surprises. Then just follow along and pause it whenever necessary. Think I've done about 10 now.

That is your call but the instructions are pretty clear on the download site. Never the less, if you haven’t cleaned the sensor might as well have Nikon do that for you as well.
I have cleaned it on by way of camera.. is there another method involved too.. I read the instructions.. yes it does seem relatively easy.. although it says downloading and doing this could be a problem on your camera.. that made me hesitate..

If i buy a new card and format it do you think it will solve this issue..going to order one now..thank you

I definitely think you should try a different card. Doesn't have to be a new one. Preferably one you haven't used in this camera and/or may have done the same thing to. (Make sure there isn't anything on it you want to keep because, it will be gone.) Format it in the camera right away and see what happens.

As far as the firmware update is concerned, I doubt that's the issue. I see nothing about memory issues.

Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.15 to 1.20
  • • The camera now also supports direct Wi-Fi connections to devices running SnapBridge. For more information, see the “Addendum to the User’s Manual” in which this feature is described. Before using this feature, upgrade to the following version of the app:
    • - SnapBridge version 2.5.4 or later
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - The camera sometimes had trouble focusing on subjects in the focus points at the edges of the frame.
    • - The camera would sometimes stop responding during shooting in continuous high-speed (CH) release mode.
    • - The camera would sometimes not turn off after the power switch was rotated to “OFF”.

As far as doing the update yourself, it can be a bit daunting. I was nervous at first. I won't lie. But, there are some great tutorials on Youtube. I strongly suggest watching it several times first, so there are no surprises. Then just follow along and pause it whenever necessary. Think I've done about 10 now.
very good info.. yes i was watching on you tube..trouble is my speakers on pc are not working.. just ordered new ones.. very scary trying to read lips.. lol..thanks

Most reactions

Back