I have a problem with my Nikon D500.. please help

I just want to take time out here and thank all of you for extra ordinary help.. i know now that this is not a serious issue.. can most likely be fixed with updates.. i appreciate all your informative replies.. have so much more understanding of the issues now even though i am still working on a fix.. thank you all

If i buy a new card and format it do you think it will solve this issue..going to order one now..thank you

I definitely think you should try a different card. Doesn't have to be a new one. Preferably one you haven't used in this camera and/or may have done the same thing to. (Make sure there isn't anything on it you want to keep because, it will be gone.) Format it in the camera right away and see what happens.

As far as the firmware update is concerned, I doubt that's the issue. I see nothing about memory issues.

Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.15 to 1.20
  • • The camera now also supports direct Wi-Fi connections to devices running SnapBridge. For more information, see the “Addendum to the User’s Manual” in which this feature is described. Before using this feature, upgrade to the following version of the app:
    • - SnapBridge version 2.5.4 or later
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - The camera sometimes had trouble focusing on subjects in the focus points at the edges of the frame.
    • - The camera would sometimes stop responding during shooting in continuous high-speed (CH) release mode.
    • - The camera would sometimes not turn off after the power switch was rotated to “OFF”.

As far as doing the update yourself, it can be a bit daunting. I was nervous at first. I won't lie. But, there are some great tutorials on Youtube. I strongly suggest watching it several times first, so there are no surprises. Then just follow along and pause it whenever necessary. Think I've done about 10 now.
a few new cards are on the way.. i will definitely be following this specific guide when i get them... thanks!!!

Your firmware looks like it is not up to date, see this page:
Nikon | Download center | D500

Sandisk are quality cards, I have used them exclusively since 2003.
thank you.. i am too scared to do this.. update.. i really would be very upset if i messed up my camera .. i will send to NIkon and have them tune it up and firmware the upload.. i read it is pretty easy to do.. but so scary too..

That is your call but the instructions are pretty clear on the download site. Never the less, if you haven’t cleaned the sensor might as well have Nikon do that for you as well.
I have cleaned it on by way of camera.. is there another method involved too.. I read the instructions.. yes it does seem relatively easy.. although it says downloading and doing this could be a problem on your camera.. that made me hesitate..

The builtin sensor cleaning function works but does not remove oil or moisture spots, just light surface particles that can be shaken off. But the question then begs, where do those shaken particles go? Some get stuck to an adhesive like seal around the sensor glass but others can and do fall into the mirror box. Additionally, changing lenses can create very small metal particulates that fall into the mirror box and as the mirror flips up and down during a shutter opening sequence, then can and do get airborne and make their way onto the sensor glass.

Nikon will use a wet cleaning method or sticky swab to clean the sensor glass so those troublesome little specs don't cover up photo sites during exposure. FWIW, cleaning the sensor glass is by magnitudes more nerve racking than a firmware update, one miss step and you end up with a scratched sensor glass for life unless you pay $$$ to have it replaced. There are lots of best practises tutorials on cleaning and many essential tools required which does imply an investment.

thank you.. i am too scared to do this.. update.. i really would be very upset if i messed up my camera .. i will send to NIkon and have them tune it up and firmware the upload.. i read it is pretty easy to do.. but so scary too..

That is your call but the instructions are pretty clear on the download site. Never the less, if you haven’t cleaned the sensor might as well have Nikon do that for you as well.
I have cleaned it on by way of camera.. is there another method involved too.. I read the instructions.. yes it does seem relatively easy.. although it says downloading and doing this could be a problem on your camera.. that made me hesitate..

The builtin sensor cleaning function works but does not remove oil or moisture spots, just light surface particles that can be shaken off. But the question then begs, where do those shaken particles go? Some get stuck to an adhesive like seal around the sensor glass but others can and do fall into the mirror box. Additionally, changing lenses can create very small metal particulates that fall into the mirror box and as the mirror flips up and down during a shutter opening sequence, then can and do get airborne and make their way onto the sensor glass.

Nikon will use a wet cleaning method or sticky swab to clean the sensor glass so those troublesome little specs don't cover up photo sites during exposure. FWIW, cleaning the sensor glass is by magnitudes more nerve racking than a firmware update, one miss step and you end up with a scratched sensor glass for life unless you pay $$$ to have it replaced. There are lots of best practises tutorials on cleaning and many essential tools required which does imply an investment.
I will let Nikon do all of this.. My camera means everything to me!! It is great that am getting this knowledge,,, and for this i am thankful!!

when i deleted photos on my Nikon D 500 i used my computer to wipe the SD card clean,, when i went on a short trip i decided to wipe the card clean manually .. well it says do you want to delete all photos on the camera.. i say "yes" it does not do it.. I say "No" and it wipes it clean... i contacted the person i purchased the camera from and they said it sounds like a software problem.. i should install updates from Nikon.. does this sound logical... I went to the site and it has many updates.. i don't know which one to choose from the list... thanks for any help offered..

Are you seeing the right function being hi-lighted? it maybe a misinterpretation of what the screen is showing you.

I do my own sensor cleaning pretty easy when you just take your time and be very mindful of the mirror on the DSLR. I had to do a wet clean on a brand New D610 and was def not a dust bunny but a lubricant stain. Dust is a pretty easy to clean sometimes just a rocket blower does the trick but lubricant stains is more difficult and can be a PITA plus streaking on sensor from to much wet solution or a poor quality cleaner. My local Camera shop was offering a bring in your camera for a free sensor cleaning which I thought was great for people not comfortable trying to do this them self.

Last edited:
when i deleted photos on my Nikon D 500 i used my computer to wipe the SD card clean,, when i went on a short trip i decided to wipe the card clean manually .. well it says do you want to delete all photos on the camera.. i say "yes" it does not do it.. I say "No" and it wipes it clean... i contacted the person i purchased the camera from and they said it sounds like a software problem.. i should install updates from Nikon.. does this sound logical... I went to the site and it has many updates.. i don't know which one to choose from the list... thanks for any help offered..

Are you seeing the right function being hi-lighted? it maybe a misinterpretation of what the screen is showing you.
I go to delete.. on playback menu then it takes me to selected or delete ALL..i say ALL and it takes me to SD Card ...then it says all images will be deleted.... OK? Cureent..yes or no ... i say yes... nothing happens.. i say No then it goes to DONE

i have to let Nikon do it.. too nervous for this..

Not a bad idea to just let Nikon handle the issue, update the firmware and clean the sensor and the turn around time should be pretty quick too.

Not a bad idea to just let Nikon handle the issue, update the firmware and clean the sensor and the turn around time should be pretty quick too.
Thank you..yes i made up my mind..At least i learned what i need to know about the repair and tune up.. i know what to ask for..lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back