I have a problem with my Nikon D500.. please help

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Photo Lady, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Photo Lady

Photo Lady Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i can only use one card ,, just the SD card...never bought the XQD card... so i can only use one card at a time.. thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As other s have mentioned, NEVER format a memory card with your computer, ALWAYS do it in camera. Additionally, when you want to start with a fresh card format it in your camera, this writes file directory data to the root level of the card so the camera knows where to file images.

The next step is to reset the camera to factory defaults, format a card, take a few photos, transfer them via card reader or camera to your computer, make sure you EJECT the memory disk before yanking the cork or pulling the card out. If you use Nikon ViewNX-i for transferring, there is an option to eject the card after transfer in the preferences, I highly suggest using it to avoid pulling out a card while still mounted on your computers OS.

BTW, which brand of card are you using?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    do you think it is the card... do you think i need to update firmware... i use sand disk cards.. mostly.. but a couple others as well.. which is the cards you use.. i will look up viewNX,, i have just been using windows 10 photo editing.. thank you

4. JBPhotog

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your firmware looks like it is not up to date, see this page:
    Nikon | Download center | D500

Sandisk are quality cards, I have used them exclusively since 2003.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    thank you.. i am too scared to do this.. update.. i really would be very upset if i messed up my camera .. i will send to NIkon and have them tune it up and firmware the upload.. i read it is pretty easy to do.. but so scary too..

6. JBPhotog

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is your call but the instructions are pretty clear on the download site. Never the less, if you haven’t cleaned the sensor might as well have Nikon do that for you as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RowdyRay

RowdyRay Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I definitely think you should try a different card. Doesn't have to be a new one. Preferably one you haven't used in this camera and/or may have done the same thing to. (Make sure there isn't anything on it you want to keep because, it will be gone.) Format it in the camera right away and see what happens.

As far as the firmware update is concerned, I doubt that's the issue. I see nothing about memory issues.

Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.15 to 1.20
    • • The camera now also supports direct Wi-Fi connections to devices running SnapBridge. For more information, see the “Addendum to the User’s Manual” in which this feature is described. Before using this feature, upgrade to the following version of the app:
      • - SnapBridge version 2.5.4 or later
    • • Fixed the following issues:
      • - The camera sometimes had trouble focusing on subjects in the focus points at the edges of the frame.
      • - The camera would sometimes stop responding during shooting in continuous high-speed (CH) release mode.
      • - The camera would sometimes not turn off after the power switch was rotated to “OFF”.

As far as doing the update yourself, it can be a bit daunting. I was nervous at first. I won't lie. But, there are some great tutorials on Youtube. I strongly suggest watching it several times first, so there are no surprises. Then just follow along and pause it whenever necessary. Think I've done about 10 now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    I have cleaned it on by way of camera.. is there another method involved too.. I read the instructions.. yes it does seem relatively easy.. although it says downloading and doing this could be a problem on your camera.. that made me hesitate..

9. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    very good info.. yes i was watching on you tube..trouble is my speakers on pc are not working.. just ordered new ones.. very scary trying to read lips.. lol..thanks

10. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    I just want to take time out here and thank all of you for extra ordinary help.. i know now that this is not a serious issue.. can most likely be fixed with updates.. i appreciate all your informative replies.. have so much more understanding of the issues now even though i am still working on a fix.. thank you all

11. Photo Lady

Photos OK to edit
    a few new cards are on the way.. i will definitely be following this specific guide when i get them... thanks!!!

12. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1