I have a problem with my Nikon D500.. please help

Never format a card on a computer and stick it back into the camera. I would say just put another card in and remember to format it in camera only. Another thing, don't delete images off your card when in camera.

Never format a card on a computer and stick it back into the camera. I would say just put another card in and remember to format it in camera only. Another thing, don't delete images off your card when in camera.
I always delete images from my cards while in camera- usually "delete all images"- never a problem. But I do always format the card in camera.

what exactly does the firmware update do to improve the camera.. just curious.. but i will right now do the factory settings.. i think i will also purchase a couple new memory cards.. i won't lose any photos because if i do the opposite that it asks.. do you want to delete all photos..i say NO.. then it deletes all the photos... i thought maybe this was a flaw within the camera.. do you think this will change this flaw...thanks again.. i appreciate it very much....yikes i just reset the settings.. it would not reset when i said yes reset.. i said no and it reset... now i find two items with the same problem

The changes in firmware are usually described on the downloads page. Let's go through this reset, because what you are describing still doesn't make sense to me. Go to the little wrench in menu then use the multi-selector to get to the "Reset all settings" menu then push the OK button to see 2 items, reset (gray background) and Do not reset (yellow background). Use the multi-selector (up) to turn the reset item to yellow then use the multi-selector (right this time) to see the menu "! All settings will be reset. Once reset, settings cannot be restored. OK? " Use the multi-selector (up) to turn the Yes to Red then hit the OK button in the lower left corner of the back of your camera.
Yes all this happened except i had to choose no for resetting instead of yes...once i clicked no then the camera told me it was reset to original settings.. i am so baffled that this is happening.. how can i trust any of my settings now..PS..thank you for such a easy accurate description of steps to follow..your a good teacher..such patience... i have all this..but still happening what i described earlier...

Sorry this didn't work. I know my D500 inside and out and I am as baffled by the problem as you are. One last Hail Mary. Did you try taking out the battery for about 30 seconds then putting in a fully charged battery?
Doing this now..will try later again when it is light out...very upset when camera is not right..

I always deleted photos both ways...

My routine, Shoot, take card out of camera and put in computer and transfer, process shots, return card to camera and format. No problems yet.

My routine, Shoot, take card out of camera and put in computer and transfer, process shots, return card to camera and format. No problems yet.
yes thats exactly what i have been doing.. thats why i think this issue i am having is not related to this process... thanks

Not a good idea. Just as the PC will mess up the file allocation table (fat table), deleting files in the card from the camera can do the same. Think of it this way, if you formatted your card in camera, bits of the images are still allocated inside, hence you can actually perform a rescue and recover them even if you formatted. The camera literally will save the information of the images until you start shooting again and that info will be over written. Example: your on a shoot and take 20 images, downloaded them on a computer, put the card back in the camera, and format it...there is data from those 20 images still on it that you can recover using software on a computer. It will still be there until you have taken 20 more images.

When you format the card in a computer, it is much more sophisticated and handles that fat table differently. The camera handles that fat table in a much less sophisticated way. That's why your camera didn't know what to do.

I used to do data recovery and it is much more complex than I am stating, just trying to simplify it for you. I once had a woman bring me her computer, she wanted to find out what her husband was doing on the PC, she didn't think I could find out because he cleared his history and deleted files. Um, I recovered all of his history going 6 months back, plus recovered documents and images.

I recently recovered a micro sd card in a phone for a friend. She was deleting her images on her phone and it messed up the fat table on the card. She was devastated because all her images were on there and she didn't back it up on line. I recovered all her images ( well over 2000). We then put a new card in the phone, formatted it in phone, and set up a Google account to back it up moving forward. I also uploaded all her old images on Google photos. She will never have that issue again.

Last edited:

Not a good idea. Just as the PC will mess up the file allocation table (fat table), deleting files in the card from the camera can do the same. Think of it this way, if you formatted your card in camera, bits of the images are still allocated inside, hence you can actually perform a rescue and recover them even if you formatted. The camera literally will save the information of the images until you start shooting again and that info will be over written. Example: your on a shoot and take 20 images, downloaded them on a computer, put the card back in the camera, and format it...there is data from those 20 images still on it that you can recover using software on a computer. It will still be there until you have taken 20 more images.

When you format the card in a computer, it is much more sophisticated and handles that fat table differently. The camera handles that fat table in a much less sophisticated way. That's why your camera didn't know what to do.

I used to do data recovery and it is much more complex than I am stating, just trying to simplify it for you. I once had a woman bring me her computer, she wanted to find out what her husband was doing on the PC, she didn't think I could find out because he cleared his history and deleted files. Um, I recovered all of his history going 6 months back, plus recovered documents and images.

I recently recovered a micro sd card in a phone for a friend. She was deleting her images on her phone and it messed up the fat table on the card. She was devastated because all her images were on there and she didn't back it up on line. I recovered all her images ( well over 2000). We then put a new card in the phone, formatted it in phone, and set up a Google account to back it up moving forward. I also uploaded all her old images on Google photos. She will never have that issue again.
WOW>>>>> I have alot to learn...... and it just gets more and more complicated. So how exactly do you do this.

WOW>>>>> I have alot to learn...... and it just gets more and more complicated. So how exactly do you do this.
I just read the entire article on formatting the SD card.. i will do it this way from now on.. for the most part it is suppose to save the card for usage longer.. but this still does not solve my big problem.. i checked over and over for all the other settings to be accurate and it seems they are just fine.. i wonder if this was a genuine flaw in the camera.. i purchased new.. made in USA but there could have been a hidden flaw .. whether it be chip or what...? This morning i took this photo.. Not bad..if i ever decided to sell the camera someday this will be hard to explain so whether i ever correct it or not i still want to find out why.
DSC_0059 (3).JPG

I just read the entire article on formatting the SD card.. i will do it this way from now on.. for the most part it is suppose to save the card for usage longer.. but this still does not solve my big problem.. i checked over and over for all the other settings to be accurate and it seems they are just fine.. i wonder if this was a genuine flaw in the camera.. i purchased new.. made in USA but there could have been a hidden flaw .. whether it be chip or what...? This morning i took this photo.. Not bad..if i ever decided to sell the camera someday this will be hard to explain so whether i ever correct it or not i still want to find out why.View attachment 198645 ..

Did you try a new card?

I just read the entire article on formatting the SD card.. i will do it this way from now on.. for the most part it is suppose to save the card for usage longer.. but this still does not solve my big problem.. i checked over and over for all the other settings to be accurate and it seems they are just fine.. i wonder if this was a genuine flaw in the camera.. i purchased new.. made in USA but there could have been a hidden flaw .. whether it be chip or what...? This morning i took this photo.. Not bad..if i ever decided to sell the camera someday this will be hard to explain so whether i ever correct it or not i still want to find out why...

I don't think this is a hardware problem ... as the software (firmware) controls what code options are displayed and triggered.

I just read the entire article on formatting the SD card.. i will do it this way from now on.. for the most part it is suppose to save the card for usage longer.. but this still does not solve my big problem.. i checked over and over for all the other settings to be accurate and it seems they are just fine.. i wonder if this was a genuine flaw in the camera.. i purchased new.. made in USA but there could have been a hidden flaw .. whether it be chip or what...? This morning i took this photo.. Not bad..if i ever decided to sell the camera someday this will be hard to explain so whether i ever correct it or not i still want to find out why.View attachment 198645 ..

Did you try a new card?
I used a 3rd card that had been lightly used... still the same

I have to agree with jcdeboever. It's a card issue. I know you said you tried a new card. Did you format it?

ANY card you place into your camera has to be formatted to THAT camera before taking a picture. I've used multiple cards between cameras and transferred images via cable, WIFI or card reader. Never a problem.

ALWAYS format the card in the camera. No matter how you transfer the images. EVERY post I've read about this involves formatting the card in the PC. Every one. Don't do it.

I have to agree with jcdeboever. It's a card issue. I know you said you tried a new card. Did you format it?

ANY card you place into your camera has to be formatted to THAT camera before taking a picture. I've used multiple cards between cameras and transferred images via cable, WIFI or card reader. Never a problem.

ALWAYS format the card in the camera. No matter how you transfer the images. EVERY post I've read about this involves formatting the card in the PC. Every one. Don't do it.
If i buy a new card and format it do you think it will solve this issue..going to order one now..thank you

I have to agree with jcdeboever. It's a card issue.

The initial description was that the camera delete program asked Yes or No ... yes was chosen by the OP and it did not delete ... no was selected and the images were deleted.
How would this be caused by the Card ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back