I just bought a D700!!!!

Thanks everyone! As soon as I have it I will post test pics for C&C!!!

Congrats on the new purchase... its time to update your sig and yes I am very jealous :(

Does anyone have a guide on how to justify spending 2300$ on a hobby purchase to the wife?

Here's how I'm justifying mine: I just bought him a hobby car...an '85 Rx7 and he's looking to rebuild that thing with a new turbo engine of some sort that's gonna run me another $1500 just for the engine...let's not mention the body work and cool add-ons he's gonna stick on that thing too.

But even with that justification, I still feel guilty...prob because I remember the pain of earning every single dime.

And I just got a tax refund of 2200$ but it has to go towards our family vacation in Europe for a month.... and you also bought hubby a hobby car :) yay I need one of those too.

Because you had a D200, the button and contols layout will be virtually identical.

You now have a much more usable, upgraded auto focus module, and any DX lenses you have will not project a large enough image circle to use the entire image sensor.

Enjoy.

Will not or will now?

Not.

I'll give you $50 for the 55-200 :D

ETA... The DX lenses will mount and function on your D700, they may just have some image issues towards the edges of the frame. The DX lenses, in my understanding, project a smaller FOV on the sensor area, anticipating a cropped sensor.

You can use them. You will more than likely have to crop.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new purchase... its time to update your sig and yes I am very jealous :(

Does anyone have a guide on how to justify spending 2300$ on a hobby purchase to the wife?

Here's how I'm justifying mine: I just bought him a hobby car...an '85 Rx7 and he's looking to rebuild that thing with a new turbo engine of some sort that's gonna run me another $1500 just for the engine...let's not mention the body work and cool add-ons he's gonna stick on that thing too.

But even with that justification, I still feel guilty...prob because I remember the pain of earning every single dime.

Congrats, it's refreshing to see somebody saving the money to buy a purchase that makes them happy. Too many people would just throw it on a credit card. Oh, and yes, it's perfectly normal.

Where did you find a D700 in stock for $2300? Seems everywhere I have looked lately, the price is much higher and it's out of stock.

Because you had a D200, the button and contols layout will be virtually identical.

You now have a much more usable, upgraded auto focus module, and any DX lenses you have will not project a large enough image circle to use the entire image sensor.

Enjoy.

Will not or will now?

Not.

I'll give you $50 for the 55-200 :D

ETA... The DX lenses will mount and function on your D700, they may just have some image issues towards the edges of the frame. The DX lenses, in my understanding, project a smaller image on the sensor area, anticipating a cropped sensor.

You can use them. You will more than likely have to crop.

OIC....thanks for the clarification...but I get that fall off now with the 50mm G and D200?...what's up with that?

Not sure if you have seen my other thread regarding the 55-200...but it's half broken...the zoom sticks....

Congrats, it's refreshing to see somebody saving the money to buy a purchase that makes them happy. Too many people would just throw it on a credit card. Oh, and yes, it's perfectly normal.

Where did you find a D700 in stock for $2300? Seems everywhere I have looked lately, the price is much higher and it's out of stock.

LOL it's kind of a funny story....

I bought it from Ebay from a guy...

So I was making a bid at the last minute on this camera yesterday...and I was going to bid a max of $2390 for the camera...unfortunately I was sooooo nervous that my hand hit an extra 0 and made my max bid at $23,900...in two seconds the auction ended and I had won it at $3,470!!!! I panicked...OMG...I had this horrible cold panicked feeling and was freaking out. I messaged the seller to let him know what happened and that I could pay $2390 for the camera. He agreed to cancel the auction as he said there was another bid that was higher. He was very nice and I apologized profusely. Today he messaged me and said that he had not heard back from the other bidder and asked if I still wanted it for $2390...he would drop it to $2300 and I said SOLD! I paid $8 for shipping.

Worst roller coaster ride of my life...it has 442 clicks on it and he is a verified seller in the US from down south I believe with awesome buyer feedback, otherwise I would have never bothered buying from Ebay. *whew!* He just messaged me to say he shipped it today and I should have it in 3-4 days!

Not sure if you have seen my other thread regarding the 55-200...but it's half broken...the zoom sticks....

Ok then, $10. :lol:

That's OK, I was 95% kidding anyways. I was just throwing out an asshattishly low number assuming you wouldn't take me up on the offer.

Have fun with the D700, and color me jealous! Also remember, that the steps that lead under the Stone Arch Bridge are now open for the season. That skyline shot with the bridge and water, at dusk would be a good place to try out your new baby if you haven't been down there before!

Wow! Is this brand new?! How much is shipping?!

Internationally? More than likely prohibitive compared to domestic. Maybe not though.

Besides... after all you put that poor eBay seller through, you aren't seriously thinking of pulling the plug on that auction, are you?!? :gasp:

Enjoy.

Will not or will now?
Apparently, you didn't do very much research before you bought the camera.

Your D700, in default mode, will only use the central 5.1 MP of the image sensor when a DX lens is mounted on the camera.

Wow! Is this brand new?! How much is shipping?!

Internationally? More than likely prohibitive compared to domestic. Maybe not though.

Besides... after all you put that poor eBay seller through, you aren't seriously thinking of pulling the plug on that auction, are you?!? :gasp:

LOL...that would be hard to do...I already paid in full! He he he...

Enjoy.

Will not or will now?
Apparently, you didn't do very much research before you bought the camera.

Your D700, in default mode, will only use the central 5.1 MP of the image sensor when a DX lens is mounted on the camera.

Thank you much for the edumacation. I thought you might be saying will now wince I am experiencing that fall off (black edge) on come of my photos when I have the 50mm at 1.4? Maybe I'm doing something else wrong....yeeesh!

Ok then, $10. :lol:

That's OK, I was 95% kidding anyways. I was just throwing out an asshattishly low number assuming you wouldn't take me up on the offer.

Have fun with the D700, and color me jealous! Also remember, that the steps that lead under the Stone Arch Bridge are now open for the season. That skyline shot with the bridge and water, at dusk would be a good place to try out your new baby if you haven't been down there before!

Holy snaps I just realized we're neighbors! I have not been there before...location please?

Most reactions

Back