I need to vent about my camera return.....

I'm done talking publicly about the details. However, I will say that the issue will apparently be left unresolved. If anyone is actually interested in the details they are welcome to PM me.

That is really a shame JJ, I'm terribly sorry to hear it. I guess I'll need to re-evaluate a few of my future planned purchases as well as possible future recommendations on where to buy to the new folks. Don't get me wrong, so far I've never had any problems with Adorama myself but then again I've never been in a situation where I've had to return anything either.

I don't think the Vendor is to blame :D

I am so irritated right now. As you probably know, I returned my d7100 a week or so ago. Since I bought it online, I am dealing with an online returns dept. A condensed version of our correspondence is below:

store: We received your shipment, but due to the memory card being open we will refund you minus $50 for the card
me: will I get the memory card back?
Store: I told you, we did not receive the memory card. If you sent it, where is it?
me: You told me it was open. It was in the camera bag. if its not there, check the assessory box of the camera body. I am positive I sent it back
store: I will forward this email to the returns dept.
Store: Im sorry, we did not receive the camera bag, the memory card, or the filter set and we now have to charge you $105. would you like the filter set and the camera bag shipped back to you?

:banghead:

Seriously?! SERIOUSLY? You either HAVE it, or you DO NOT have it. Which is it?

We don't have a camera store in our town (or within 2 hours that I know of), and I try to support online photo stores when I can, but from now on I guess I am going to have to just go with best buy because I can return in the store.

Vent over.

Never buy a package deal.

I'm done talking publicly about the details. However, I will say that the issue will apparently be left unresolved. If anyone is actually interested in the details they are welcome to PM me.

That is really a shame JJ, I'm terribly sorry to hear it. I guess I'll need to re-evaluate a few of my future planned purchases as well as possible future recommendations on where to buy to the new folks. Don't get me wrong, so far I've never had any problems with Adorama myself but then again I've never been in a situation where I've had to return anything either.

Whereas I don't think it's about blame, I think it's about providing quality customer service. If I can't be sure an outfit will do that, well then I tend to shy away from buying from them and recommending that other people buy from them. It's pretty easy to provide great customer service when everything goes as planned - what really seperates the companies out there in my mind is how they handle things when things go awry. But hey, feel free to spend your money anywhere you want. I'm just saying I tend not to spend mine with companies that want to step over a dollar to pickup a nickel. Just doesn't make good financial sense to me.

I can't wait for the next vent when you get your next camera
I hope this is more humor that I just don't get. I shipped everything back as required, so I'm not sure how the blame lies on me.

thanks robins. It's obviously impossible to tell where the fault lies, but I know with 1,000% certainty, the items were in the box that I shipped. It's really a shame that they would loose a customer over "free" items.

This whole story makes me rethink my plans to ever order anything from adorama

The thing with Adorama is most people have a great buying experience. Those that don't tend to receive lousy customer care until they take it to an online forum that's being scoured by Helen and other service reps. Only then will you have your concerns addressed and it sounds like in this instance, the customer service is lacking.

.......Seems a lot more likely that someone at Adorama unboxed it and failed to document the items properly (since the bag and card wouldn't not have an obvious serial # on it I doubt they could verify which was which after the fact). Again, might just be me.

A complete stock check was carried out for these 3 items. Our inventory balances 100% on all 3. We did not receive the items

......I shipped everything back as required, so I'm not sure how the blame lies on me.

thanks robins. It's obviously impossible to tell where the fault lies, but I know with 1,000% certainty, the items were in the box that I shipped. It's really a shame that they would loose a customer over "free" items.

They may be 'free' to the customer, but they come at a cost to us.

You said yourself that you double-checked your house - presumably because you weren't sure if you'd left them out? You also said that your husband dropped the box at UPS on his way to work, where it was re-packed - and he was in a hurry. You said you don't know if he watched the box being sealed.

Our stock tallies.

It isn't my job to apportion blame, but to get to the bottom of a problem - and as far as I'm aware we are still in communication about this. So I find it surprising, and not a little disheartening, that as far as this thread goes, Adorama is already dead and buried in the water.

I can't wait for the next vent when you get your next camera
I hope this is more humor that I just don't get. I shipped everything back as required, so I'm not sure how the blame lies on me.

Well to be fair you should give them a chance to consider that information and respond, as will I. But if they won't resolve it for whatever reason, well it will wind up costing them more than just one customer.

When I do upgrade my 5200s to 7100s I can't see much sense in spending a couple of grand with a company if I think that it's possible I might run into problems if for whatever reason I have to do a return.

So far for me at least I've never had to return anything I've purchased, but for me that's a lot of money to spend and I can't do that with a company if I can't have confidence in their customer service.

But like I said, best to wait and see if this can be resolved before jumping to any final conclusions.

The thing with Adorama is most people have a great buying experience. Those that don't tend to receive lousy customer care until they take it to an online forum that's being scoured by Helen and other service reps. Only then will you have your concerns addressed and it sounds like in this instance, the customer service is lacking.

Not at all. And I'm at a loss to understand how you have reached that conclusion. According to my in box, 64 emails have been exchanged between me, the Distribution Center, the OP, my Manager, the receiving manager, the stock-checker and another member of the CS team.

And yet I sent them, you are are charging me $138 when you originally said $102. $138 for FREE items. The cost of the camera with and without the items on your website is the same. I was originally told an item was opened. Then three items were missing. Yes, the items were OPENED, but they WERE in the box. I have done nothing but try to come to an agreeable middle ground, and you have met me nowhere.

It seems to me, that you are accusing me of keeping these items. I have no use for filters that don't fit a camera I own. I have no use for a camera bag too small to fit my camera, and if I had kept them, WHY would I have asked for the memory card back when I was originally told I would be charged for it being OPENED?

This is an absolute unfortunate situation on both sides. No one knows what happened, and neither of us can prove what happened. Yet it is I, the customer being charged an absolutely ridiculous price for "free" items.

Not at all. And I'm at a loss to understand how you have reached that conclusion. According to my in box, 64 emails have been exchanged between me, the Distribution Center, the OP, my Manager, the receiving manager, the stock-checker and another member of the CS team.[/QUOTE]So there is no possibility your people who recieved the items made a mistake?LoL

And yet I sent them, you are are charging me $138 when you originally said $102. $138 for FREE items. The cost of the camera with and without the items on your website is the same. I was originally told an item was opened. Then three items were missing. Yes, the items were OPENED, but they WERE in the box. I have done nothing but try to come to an agreeable middle ground, and you have met me nowhere.

It seems to me, that you are accusing me of keeping these items. I have no use for filters that don't fit a camera I own. I have no use for a camera bag too small to fit my camera, and if I had kept them, WHY would I have asked for the memory card back when I was originally told I would be charged for it being OPENED?

This is an absolute unfortunate situation on both sides. No one knows what happened, and neither of us can prove what happened. Yet it is I, the customer being charged an absolutely ridiculous price for "free" items.

'I' am not charging you anything - any issue of charges is completely separate from trying to establish exactly what happened to the missing items. And once again, 'free' items are not 'free'.

I asked you to check with the UPS office, but have not received any feedback from you regarding that.

I advised you that we would carry out a stock-check - as you are well aware from my email to you earlier, we JUST completed this. In situations like this there are clear procedures to follow.
IF a claim is to be submitted to UPS we have to show that those procedures were followed to the letter..

They may be 'free' to the customer, but they come at a cost to us. You said yourself that you double-checked your house - presumably because you weren't sure if you'd left them out? You also said that your husband dropped the box at UPS on his way to work, where it was re-packed - and he was in a hurry. You said you don't know if he watched the box being sealed. Our stock tallies. It isn't my job to apportion blame, but to get to the bottom of a problem - and as far as I'm aware we are still in communication about this. So I find it surprising, and not a little disheartening, that as far as this thread goes, Adorama is already dead and buried in the water.

I doubled checked my home because you asked me to, and I was trying to comply with your process, not because I doubted it was in the box.

In our last communication, you asked me questions that you should already know the answer to. Did I insure it? It was Adorama's prepaid label. So you tell me, was it insured? Any insurance claim would need to come from Adorama, since they paid for the shipping. You also completely ignored my request about information concerning the extra $30 charge. You completely ignored my request to have it credited towards a new camera. Yes, these small "free" things cost your company money, but Obviously not full retail price. Yes, I am frustrated that it's been weeks, and I seem to have gotten nowhere, and yes I have much better things to do with my time than debate this topic in a public forum. I look forward to seeing a response from you in my inbox, and I look forward to updating this thread with a happy ending.

Most reactions

Back