I need your feedback for my film exploring website

I was responding to the OP,shootfilm...who has posted three times in about 2.5 months... I wonder if the OP will ever return?

OP returned. I was unfortunately very busy doing uni-stuff, so I had little to no time catching up with you guys!

I really appreciate all your feedback so far. Thanks so much!

What do you guys think about the characteristics I am displaying?

Am I missing something? Any suggestions which could help people especially beginners to help them guide into the right direction?

In that regard, you could either shoot the samples yourself or ask folks to supply such.

the kicker is that there is literally endless number of variations.
Including 100 sp. film that looks like 25 spped and other shots looking like 400.

Digital in comp. to film is so variable that itll be something simplistic to display.

I suppose you buying all sample film and shooting the same shot with lots of color and variables and then processing them through the same company at the same time. Then you have to scan them all the same. Seems very difficult to do.

i think choosing what type of photography your interested first then showing the kinds of film normally used for your chosen area would make it easier to navigate, the very nature of someone going to the site implies they don't have much knowledge on which films are best suited to landscapes, portraits etc, so have to click thro them all to read what characteristics they have.

i think choosing what type of photography your interested first then showing the kinds of film normally used for your chosen area would make it easier to navigate, the very nature of someone going to the site implies they don't have much knowledge on which films are best suited to landscapes, portraits etc, so have to click thro them all to read what characteristics they have.

Thanks thats great advice!

**Update**

Hey guys, the first version 1.0 of the website is now finally live!

You can check it out here: Filmtypes - Explore the world of analog film

The site now allows you to find out about the variety of analog films by exploring the characteristics, photo examples, written & video reviews and engage in discussions. Over the coming weeks, I will off course add more films so that the database truly resembles the current state of analog films. Regarding the photo feedback, you were all right. I am well aware that developing times, scanner quality, monitor display, etc. affect the final outcome of the picture, so I thought to minimize the outcome of the automatic pictures pulled from flickr I have to pick the best fitting ones manually. I ended up selecting six photos for each film manually as well as manually picking the written reviews since there are better and worse ones out there. In the end, it was more work than I thought off but it was definitely worth it!

I would love to know what you think!

And thanks again for the feedback guys!

Hi just a thought. Have you tried contacting the different film makers for a print/sample file. That way you would get the a standardised sample that’s not affected by labs differences. It’s been a long time since I used film my chosen was fp4 pulled to 100asa/iso. Maybe you could add if different films are available in bulk eg 5mtr lengths I used to use between 5 to 10 metres at a time. I like the site, wish something like this was around in the 80s

I agree with original katomi.

A sample of the diff. films would be in order so that one can see what effect.

ideally it would be the same image, but that would be an enormous and costly venture.

You would think that film manufacturers would welcome a web site that promotes film they could give you all the spec,s of their products.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back