I was shooting over her shoulder, I was up and down stairs, standing on furniture, climbing on things, and was like stealthy ninja monkey.
First off...EXCELLENT photo...I can't wait to see more from the day.
Secondly, I wanted to give you mad props on actually finding a use for the term "stealthy ninja monkey".
Was it strange telling people what to do with everything? I'm doing two friend's weddings this summer (as a secondary photographer, thank god), and am kind of stressing out about it, as it will be my first actual "professional" shoot. (I'm far from professional, but thats the only word i could think to use there)...
But overall, I like the shot, can't wait to see what you get done with it in PP.
Cheers,
TBG
Haha! Thanks! For the situation, it was just slightly awkward telling people what to do because the bride is a very good friend of mine. It's easier for me to photograph strangers than it is for someone I know. I've worked in a studio for almost 2 years and have photographed countless sessions (I really don't want to know how many, but it's in the thousands), so telling people what to do, adjusting clothes, and props is second nature. Before we started shooting in that room, I moved a lot of things around. I took gaudy pictures off the walls, moved knick knacks, piled pillows on the window seat, and moved anything that looked out of place. Just remember to leave everything as you found it. I also dusted off the dresser that was in the room as well.
This was my first wedding shoot, and I went into the bed and breakfast sight unseen. I just wish my brain was working faster for me. One thing I do absolutely recommend is to get plenty of sleep the night before. I was running on 3 hours sleep and caffeine and stress which made my hands really shaky, and I missed great shots because I couldn't steady my hands. I even used breathing methods used by snipers (shooting photos isn't the only thing I like to shoot), and it helped some, but I know I could have done better! Just go into your wedding shoots, be yourself, and have FUN! I had to remind myself of that a few times because I was nervous since my friend (the bride) is a professional photographer with 15 years experience, so I knew I had to do a good job.
I have a second wedding shoot at the end of June that's located a few states south of me, and I have been researching places online for photography spots so I have a better idea of what to do and how much time I have to shoot. The bride for my second wedding I also know (she's my ex-sister-in-law).
Also, don't forget to feed yourself! I didn't eat anything until later in the evening, which also added into why my hands were so shaky and why I wasn't moving fast enough both physically and mentally. Also, wear professional clothes that you can move around in easily and wear shoes with a grip on the soles so you too can be like stealthy ninja monkey!
hum....
I'm not sure I like this pose, I am about the brides size and IMO I would never show this one to anyone because of the boob fat and arm flab that you see...
Her body shape and that pose IMO, are not flattering, but maybe she will like it?
The shot is good but being about the same size and having the same body image as her, I would not like that particular picture.
The bride is very comfortable with her size and isn't too self conscious. She's showed me pics of herself from before I knew her, and she's proud of her weight loss. She is also 5 months pregnant in this photo. I tried to get her to stretch out a little for several photos (I had planned for her to actually lay on the couch for this one, but she compromised by crossing her legs, for example), but she was just too uncomfortable. I was also trying to get a little higher than her eye level for most photos, but she is about 5 inches taller than I am. For the photo you see here, I was standing on the window seating and the other photographer was to my left and closer to the bride than I was, so I was shooting around the other photographer as well. If I could have gotten higher and thrown out the other photographer, I definitely would have. Not sure if you have read my other posts in this thread, but I mention all that. If I would have moved to my left to take this photo, I would have gotten the reflection of my feet in the picture hanging on the wall.
The bride has seen this photo, and she really liked it. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. So, yes, I agree with you that I would have done a few things differently.