I think I've nearly cracked it!!!???

istaycrisp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

I got a bit of grief for posting numerous shots of the same scene a few weeks ago, unfortunately this took away from the point that I wanted a bit of help on. I found that with my Samsung PL201 Point & Shoot I could either capture the bright sunset at the correct exposure, or the darker buildings, but not both on the same shot!! I've taken everyones advice and I've been out practicing all week, landscapes, portraits, and I've even been trying a touch of panning, but most importantly not posting every single shot that I've taken! Still though the 'shot from my window' was really bugging me! So I dived into some research and came across HDR images! I figured that the dynamic range that could be displayed would help me to capture the bright sky and dark buildings etc on one good shot!!! I used the exposure bracketing function on my camera and came out with 2 shots that I actually quite like... (please don't reply with something like "STOP POSTING THE SAME SHOTS" this is a very different thread to the others as I had a clear motive on this shot, and wanted to specifically achieve something rather than just sticking the camera out of the window) :)

1) A more natural feel
004_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

2) A bit more surreal
001_2_3_tonemapped1.jpg

The first one looks pretty damn good... definately like it more than the 2nd one mate.

With all of this practice shooting out your window you should be pretty good when the time comes and your parole officer lets you off of that house arrest thing.

Scoody said:
With all of this practice shooting out your window you should be pretty good when the time comes and your parole officer lets you off of that house arrest thing.

I see your really holding onto the parole officer house arrest joke there mate! Lol. But thanks...I think

Virtuosos said:
The first one looks pretty damn good... definately like it more than the 2nd one mate.

Thanks! At first I preferred the 2nd one but now I definitely agree with you!

Wow... this is your first attempt at HDR? I tried it once and gave up because I just couldn't figure out how to put it all together. I've learned quite a bit more about photoshop since then so maybe I'll give it another go. You've inspired me =)

Oh, I like the first one btw... the second one doesn't even compare.

BekahAura said:
Wow... this is your first attempt at HDR?

Yes it was my first attempt but I do have an entire folder on my desktop that is full of failed attempts! I used a program called photomatix, check it out! I'm not sure whether or not it's deemed as cheating by the photography community, but I found it very easy to use and got results that I'm happy with. Thank you very much for your kind feedback!

Yes it was my first attempt but I do have an entire folder on my desktop that is full of failed attempts!

All of them shot out your window, no doubt.

Scoody said:

OK everyone is very aware that you have made a joke! Surely even you are getting slightly bored of it now!? And I'm pretty sure that you have repeated said joke far more times than I have shot out of my window so maybe you might leave your place and take some shots rather than sitting at your computer mocking me! Yet again you're managing to take away from the actual topic of the thread. This said thank you for at least taking the time to look at my shots.

If it is any comfort, your HDR efforts are much better than mine.

Scoody said:
If it is any comfort, your HDR efforts are much better than mine.

Thank you! I knew we could play nicely...eventually :-D

Definitely better than your previous posted! And I like the first one alot...good job

The first is a good HDR processing job. I do see some strange saturated blues on the left roof and a bit on the house in the back, but no other halos... nice.

Scoody said:

OK everyone is very aware that you have made a joke! Surely even you are getting slightly bored of it now!? And I'm pretty sure that you have repeated said joke far more times than I have shot out of my window so maybe you might leave your place and take some shots rather than sitting at your computer mocking me! Yet again you're managing to take away from the actual topic of the thread. This said thank you for at least taking the time to look at my shots.

:thumbup: You'll be ok on this forum :)

And your photography is already improving. And, no, using Photomatix is not cheating. It actually is the software of choice for HDR from what I understand (I don't do any myself.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back