I want to buy a 4k camera for video

Sony A7S II, maybe...

Sony A7S II, maybe...
I really like it but it's 3000$ compared to 1400$ for the A6500, but the A7 ii is 1700, that is the other camera I am contemplating.

It' true, 3k$... But the model A7S is les expensive.

I bought the A7ii maybe two monts ago and I love it !!!

You can de-lock the aperture ring for movies. After, the ring Works In continue, without click.

The a7s is 12mp and the a7r is 42mp. That's a huge difference. I like using the a7r and like the results, but the batteries don't last at all, carry several spares, and the ergonomics just plain suck on it. The Nikon D5 is a nicer feel but lowe pixel count and the Canon 1Dx mk2 is also decent quality.
For a mirrorless consumer model the a6300 Sony is a good little camera.
If you dont like any of those the Panasonic HC-X1000 is a decent low cost camcorder.

Pixels of the 7aS are bigger. I saw the samples and it's impressive !

I have a built in ND filter that I have to try out. Not sure what filter factor it is. Thanks for the info.

So I'm videoing with a 1 inch sensor on my P&S. So I could switch to manual and set shutter for 1/60, 30 frames per second and largest aperture opening. Just to decrease DOF. Then the Auto ISO would have to adjust for correct for exposure. Does this make sense? Contrast
; I believe you meant to say "increase" the settings to increase contrast. Yes?

Would 24fps be better than 30f? (Then set shutter for 1/50 rather than 1/60)??

That´s generally speaking correct. Even tough you can´t expect wonders from a 1 inch sensor I´m afraid.
But for outdoor shootings an open aperture and 1/60th (or 1/50th for 24fps - which is better in regard to film look, yes) lets quite a lot of light in. Too much to compensate with ISO only. That´s where an ND filter comes in handy. It reduces the light in order not to overexpose the footage.
Does that make sense?

And regarding contrast: it really means decreasing to get a more soft, flat look. Sounds weird, but movies usually have less contrast. That gives you a better dynamic range too and it´s easier to capture highlights as well as shadows.

And finally don´t forget about focal length. The further you zoom in, the more shallow the depth.

I have a built in ND filter that I have to try out. Not sure what filter factor it is. Thanks for the info.

So I'm videoing with a 1 inch sensor on my P&S. So I could switch to manual and set shutter for 1/60, 30 frames per second and largest aperture opening. Just to decrease DOF. Then the Auto ISO would have to adjust for correct for exposure. Does this make sense? Contrast
; I believe you meant to say "increase" the settings to increase contrast. Yes?

Would 24fps be better than 30f? (Then set shutter for 1/50 rather than 1/60)??

That´s generally speaking correct. Even tough you can´t expect wonders from a 1 inch sensor I´m afraid.
But for outdoor shootings an open aperture and 1/60th (or 1/50th for 24fps - which is better in regard to film look, yes) lets quite a lot of light in. Too much to compensate with ISO only. That´s where an ND filter comes in handy. It reduces the light in order not to overexpose the footage.
Does that make sense?

And regarding contrast: it really means decreasing to get a more soft, flat look. Sounds weird, but movies usually have less contrast. That gives you a better dynamic range too and it´s easier to capture highlights as well as shadows.

And finally don´t forget about focal length. The further you zoom in, the more shallow the depth.

That´s one of the biggest advantages of camcorders vs. DSLRs and mirrorless. No need to carry and change all those screw on ND-filters. It´s only for outdoor use though, so bernyneedshelp won´t make any use of it (just to answer the question before it is asked ;)).

Pixels of the 7aS are bigger. I saw the samples and it's impressive !
At what size enlargement?

True, I work with both A7SII and A7RII, and I need to admit that I prefer the A7RII even for most videowork. Yes, the sensitivity of the A7SII is better, but when you compare the image quality at the same size (resize the bigger to match the smaller), much of the advantages are gone. The A7RII has the far superior autofocus - that alone would make me jump the R. Even for my tutorial videos in the studio I use the A7RII on autofocus, because when I move forward and back, it will track. That is not possible with the A7SII. Filmpeople are used to manual focussing, but there sometimes is a big advantage of having a decent continuous autofocus. If you want to watch the videos: they are shot in 4k at ISO 1250. I don´t think you´ll see much grain on the A7RII footage.

Always compromise...and needs. A camcorder is for movies, a camera for pictures :joyous:

Bizare forum....Just received an email about this post...

Amazing ! :laughing:

Most reactions

Back