I'm Done. Delete Account.

Thanks! I will clean up. I don't do any games or quizzes, but my friends do and my name has been on their list.

The other problem is friend requests from 50ish men who all happen to be engineers in the middle east. Their pages are new with only 2 or so photos and no posts. Fake! Last month I flagged yet another guy to FB as a false account. Got a reply from FB saying the person's page is legit and to just block him. There was a comment section option for me to reply to FB why I thought his account was fake. I told him I ran the guy's profile photo in google images and several references about a fake account.

I really don't want to give up on FB. We have hosted over 50 grad students in the past 15 years and good to stay in touch. Friends with their families too. Also good to stay in touch with family.

Thanks! I will clean up. I don't do any games or quizzes, but my friends do and my name has been on their list.

The other problem is friend requests from 50ish men who all happen to be engineers in the middle east. Their pages are new with only 2 or so photos and no posts. Fake! Last month I flagged yet another guy to FB as a false account. Got a reply from FB saying the person's page is legit and to just block him. There was a comment section option for me to reply to FB why I thought his account was fake. I told him I ran the guy's profile photo in google images and several references about a fake account.

I really don't want to give up on FB. We have hosted over 50 grad students in the past 15 years and good to stay in touch. Friends with their families too. Also good to stay in touch with family.
It sounds like your account is Public Searchable if you are getting those type of friend requests.

I have my account as not Public Searchable. Only Friend of Friends can find me. Unless I know them from outside of FB then I'll link up to them because usually the other persons' security isn't as locked down as mine.

I have apparently know this for a long time, and disabled all of that stuff years ago. I just checked phone and computer, and yup, it's all disabled.
Same here. Never allowed any of that stuff in the first place.

I use FB to see what my friends etc are up to.
I block all the news & game popups by using the option to Hide Ads, etc.
I also NEVER use FB to log in to any other website/app. NEVER
I also NEVER use any apps/games through FB
All posts are NOT Public searchable, only friends of friends. etc etc.

So my FB is clean.

I also put as little personal information on that as possible.
This ^^^^^, in all respects.

@Overread I do all of these plus I refused to download the FB app even on phone or tablet.
I use the FB apps on phone and tablet, because they're much more efficient than a browser interface on those devices. And, because I'm using Apple devices, FB is a lot less able to get to things they should not.

I'll continue to use FB, but everything Google has either been eliminated or is facing the chopping block RSN--including YouTube.

It sounds like your account is Public Searchable if you are getting those type of friend requests.

I have my account as not Public Searchable. Only Friend of Friends can find me. Unless I know them from outside of FB then I'll link up to them because usually the other persons' security isn't as locked down as mine.

Thanks! I checked my settings and you are correct. Thanks for the tip!

I think I have a FB account, but I never use it. Do they still profile me?

It kinda varies from ad to posting, but basically like this to get rid of all the junk in your "News Feed" as a lot of your news feed is from your friends Liking stuff.

Say you don't want to see stuff from GMC any more, or a news outlet, or any of those weird things that get you to click on it.

#1 - click on those 3 dots to the right
HideAd1a.jpg

#2 then select Hide Ad. This may vary from different types of posts.
HideAd2.jpg

#3 - select one of the selections - this also varies depending upon the type of post. The most annoying selection for the ad/link as what you really want is what is behind to the left "Hide all ads from GMC"

HideAd3.jpg

#4 Then click on the Hide all ads from GMC. And you shouldn't see any anymore from this poster until FB resets stuff.
HideAd4.jpg

You'll have to do it to all the annoying things in your News Feed. But your News Feed should be fairly clean after you do this for a bit.

Last edited:
But your News Feed should be fairly clean after you do this for a bit.

I've been doing this for sometime, and I now have few if any ads. Just checked the apps, and had 6 which I already knew were there and didn't have an objection to them.

(from the story) "Alexandra Kleeman, in her Staten Island apartment, said that “the idea that my data could be used for purposes that I expressly don’t want, that freaks me out.”

That has been done to me for years.

Not just data, but my tax dollars as well.

I admit to a certain amount of anger and frustration, but it has never "freaked me out".

I say; welcome to the club.

Not just data

I always have to chuckle at the bubble heads that put naked photos of themselves out in cyberspace, then seem shocked when they get "exposed":cupcake: LOL

(from the story) "Alexandra Kleeman, in her Staten Island apartment, said that “the idea that my data could be used for purposes that I expressly don’t want, that freaks me out.”

Not just data, but my tax dollars as well.

I admit to a certain amount of anger and frustration, but it has never "freaked me out".

I say; welcome to the club.
people don't read the fine print,
nor do they actually read the large print.
They just click Load, Yes, and continue on.

Eww Cheryl, sorry you were getting that! Luckily I had mine set only for Friends of Friends.

I'm not going to flee the sinking ship yet, I do keep in touch with people and have always had mine set for friends who are people I actually know on planet earth. It's mostly the annoying things that sneak into the news feed that I get tired of, just don't spend as much time on there lately and try to minimize the dumb stuff. (edit - Darn I seem to have missed all the naked people out in outer space, or cyber space, or wherever those nuts hang out! never see that stuff.)

I wonder if she uses Google (Alphabet) anything and has read their TOS and privacy policies?

It's pretty simple: If you're not paying for it you're not the customer, you're the commodity.

I have more on my profile here, than on my FB profile. I also use a browser extension that not only kills fb ads, but allows me to filter out a lot of other crap (like "Redskins" during football season and <enter candidates' names and parties> during the election cycle.

You're being profiled/tracked on FB no matter what you do with your account.

Read the Facebook "Terms of Service." When you signed up you gave them the right to take any information they want about you. They also own everything (photos, words, etc) that you upload to FB.

Ultimately FB makes billions of dollars on their members' information by selling targeted advertising.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back