I'm Done. Delete Account.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by KmH, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Cortian

Cortian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The "it" you can't transfer is your rights, not your IP.

No, the license you grant them is a non-exclusive RTU. You're free to sell your IP to somebody else, but you cannot abrogate the agreement into which you already entered with FB. I.e.: You cannot post it to FB, then later sell your IP to somebody else on an exclusive basis, because you, yourself, no longer have exclusive rights. You could, however, sell a non-exclusive RTU to somebody else.

2. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You can license your content to someone else so long as you retain copyright. If you was to upload a photo to Facebook and then SELL (not license) your copyright, Facebook would have no agreement with the new copyright holder and would be liable to action from the new holder if anyone looked at your Facebook page. You could delete the uploaded photo and then sell your copyright as once you delete the photo your licence with Facebook ends.

3. compur

compur Been spending a lot of time on here!

No, that's not what it says as I pointed out above and don't wish to repeat endlessly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. compur

No you can't. Not without consent of FB. The TOS says,
    "You will not transfer ANY of your rights or obligations under this Statement to anyone else without our consent."

What does "any" mean?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. john.margetts

john.margetts No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    There is a difference between transferring your rights (where you would no longer have those rights yourself) and licencing your rights (where you retain those rights yourself as well as allowing someone else to use them).

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

6. compur

That's true but, in my opinion, it is of little value in the real world. If someone has your IP and has the right to use it any time they want and for any purpose they want and they can license it to anyone they choose and any money made from that won't be shared with you and you can't sell (transfer ownership) of it to anyone else then who really owns it?

It doesn't matter that they say that you own it. If a crook takes your wallet and tells you that you still own it, it's just words. Where is the wallet and who is in control of it?

Yes, you could license your IP to someone yourself but who's going to want to pay for it once Facebook or its sub-licensee has already published it?

You supposedly have control over your "privacy settings" but these are not specified in the TOS itself which also contains this little clause:

"This Statement makes up the entire agreement between the parties regarding Facebook, and supersedes any prior agreements."

So, if the TOS is the entire agreement and the TOS does not specify what the privacy settings are, then that aspect is really just a puff of smoke.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  7. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  8. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    They still have your info even if you do delete your account now.

Apparently the Clinton side had tonnes more information that they just bought out right the difference being the trump side used it better.

So say media in Europe anyway and BTW I'm not american.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mishele

mishele Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't know you liked ferrets.

10. Cortian

Cortian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    IANAL, but I suspect that's incorrect. I expect that kind of thing is exactly one of the things FB's TOS is designed to prevent.

I bet that's not true, either. How many friends, and, possibily, friends of friends, and, possibly, friends of friends of friends, and, possibly... you get the idea... have a copy? In order for FB to comply they'd have to locate every copy on their servers and remove them. Given the size of their user base, and the size of the dataset, that would be a Herculean task.

Again: Selling a non-exclusive RTU to somebody else is not "transferring your rights." When you license somebody to use on a non-exclusive basis you retain your rights. If you grant another a non-exclusive RTU, you are not affecting any other non-exclusive RTUs you've granted.

Did you know you almost certainly don't own the software you purchase? Read the license agreement. It's almost certainly a non-exclusive RTU. E.g.: Sun Microsystems' software always came with a big card that was clearly labelled "RTU License." You had to have one on-hand for every software installation you had. You could destroy all the duplicate copies of the installation media, but you had to retain those cards. If you sold a system with the OS installed, a RTU license card had to go with it, otherwise the new owner had no right to use the software installed upon it. When software maker sells you a non-exclusive RTU, they don't lose any rights.

That may be your opinion, but your opinion isn't the same as law or legally binding agreements.

You originally claimed "They also own everything (photos, words, etc) that you upload to FB." They do not. They possess an unlimited RTU. You retain ownership. The difference may be moot, to you, but it is a difference. In law it's a big difference. Are you thenceforth constrained? In that you cannot sell your ownership or otherwise arbitrarily modify your agreement with FB: Yes. But you're still the owner.

And, with this, I'm done with this subject. It's getting tedious.

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    WAIT A SEC

you mean you missed the ferret thread?!!?! HOW!?

• Like Like x 1
  12. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit