Ricardo Loureiro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I’m an amateur photographer and I have a canon 550D and 6D mark1. I really like both cameras but I started working far from home and I want a camera to replace my 550D in a small format to more easily carry around. I was thinking in entry level mirrorless cameras but I can’t decide in which system invest my money since, from my research none of the systems are perfect for what I want. That why I’m here asking for help.

So let me fill you in, I want a camera only for photography and I don’t care about video quality or functionalities and my budget is small so price is a big factor into consideration. I like to photograph portraits, cityscapes, landscapes, pets, and the moon (I know, this last one is very specific but, ahah). For this and with the new camera I will probably by a wide prime lens, and a telephoto lens (for the moon).

My camera candidates are from canon, fujifilm and olympus but here is when the things get complicated.

For canon I was looking at the M5 and M50. The problem for me is that the EF-M mount doesn’t have that many lenses. Sure, I could use an adapter and to use EF normal mount lenses (and use some canon lenses I already have) but then the camera would be almost the same size as my canon 550D making it not worth buying.

For Fujifilm, I was looking at the x-t100. I really like fujifilm cameras, the design the image quality etc but, fuji doesn’t have any reasonably priced telephoto lens so with this my noon photos are compromised. I could buy an adapter and use my canon lens just for the moon but I don’t know if the adapters are reliable.

For olympus I was looking at E-M10 mark 2. This camera has almost everything I want. Has a big range of lenses, has telephoto lenses, since its micro 4/3 the crop factor works in my advantage for the moon photos, the camera is cheap. I was almost decided to by this camera but I notice that more and more people think that micro 4/3 as no future. And that makes me nervous to invest in this system.

I only look at this cameras but I don’t mind other options like used cameras with 4 or 5 years old as long as they give me better quality images for the money.

I could also consider sony cameras but I don’t like the look of the a6000 series. The a7 mark 1 is really reasonably priced right know and it’s a full frame camera but it’s a big camera body.

In conclusion, I really like fujifilm and olympus cameras but I’m opened to all suggestions! Can you please help me decide on the best system and camera for my needs?

Thank you for the time,

Ricardo Loureiro

Oh you'll get so many different views, as we all have our favourite systems!

For me I'd go for a Fuji X-T20 on a deal now that the X-T30 is due. Or even an X-T2 now that the X-T3 is out. Ignore list prices and ask for their best price.

For a low cost Fuji zoom, look at the XC 50-230, it may be plastic, but it's great and light.

Any of the following would be great for stills photography out of these Fuji`s, X-T20-X-T2 X-T3 or even the X-H1. Then pick up either of the two Fuji XC lenses, might be plastic build but they are great.

I would suggest you look online at the cameras that

A) Have the features/specs you want.
B) fit within your budget.

The next step is to go to a store and put them in your hand. All the awesome specs and recommendation mean nothing if the camera feels wrong.
Bring some media cards so you can take some shots and view the images at home to compare.

With this approach you will have the greatest chance to get the best camera for you.

Oh ya. Welcome to TPF.

Don't listen to some of the BS that people say of the M4/3 if Olympus meets your needs the most go for it and as of right now mirrorless is going strong and with the 4/3 there is a lot of great lenses to keep you busy for years and years, i would go for the Olympus if it meets your needs and sounds like it does. I have a Panasonic GX85 m4/3 and its amazing how the image quality holds its own against My Nikon DSLR in some cases far better.The native L-monochrome B&W SOOC jpeg engine kicks the snot out of my DSLR.

Last edited:
fuji doesn’t have any reasonably priced telephoto lens

Used Fuji Xt2’s are a good deal right now.

The Fuji XC 50-230 is a very affordable option that never comes up in these discussions. It’s a “plastic” build so it’s very lightweight and small profile. I don’t hesitate to recommend it unless you’re really tough on your gear. Not sure what type of moon photos you take? I don’t do much night photography but I do have one moon photo taken with the Xt2 and 50-230 at 230mm, handheld at ISO 200. I think it did a good job picking up detail in the moon’s surface and I’d imagine with s tripod it would’ve been better.

I’ve used an inexpensive converter for some Nikon lenses with the Fuji Xt2 and have found it to be a valid option if you don’t mind manually focusing.

I use to have a fuji XT10 what a lovely little camera that was, the jpegs where so good i never wasted any time on raw files but i sold it to put towards other things for my DSLR. I had the Fuji grip on it gave it more to hold on to and felt comfy in the hand. The two kit lenses that came in the package deal was the 16-50 and the 50-230 they really where sharp and contrasty.I may pick up another fuji XT-1 maybe undecided right now.

Last edited:
The Fuji XC 50-230 is a very affordable option that never comes up in these discussions. I

..... never comes up, apart from the three other posts above recommending the XC lenses. :)

I think it's almost unanimous - the OP should get a Fuji X-T body and the XC 50-230.

Next question please, move along, nothing more to discuss here ....... :)

The Fuji XC 50-230 is a very affordable option that never comes up in these discussions. I

..... never comes up, apart from the three other posts above recommending the XC lenses. :)

I think it's almost unanimous - the OP should get a Fuji X-T body and the XC 50-230.

Next question please, move along, nothing more to discuss here ....... :)

Yes I was referring more to the online comparisons of models and lenses than this forum. I didn’t even know the 50-230 existed until someone mentioned it in a forum post.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back