info on photography

photo_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys i'm a newbie here, want to go into the field professionally, would like to know what type of slr is recommended for beginners and if i can get training and where can i get this and as much advice as possible, i would have the cash to start off but just wanna know what direction to go in 1st!
thanks in advance

Wait...you want to be a "PRO" photographer yet you do not own a camera? What's your budget?

(classic thread!)

would like to know what type of slr is recommended for beginners
A digital one

and if i can get training
yes

and where can i get this
Local school, college, or adult-ed facilty

and as much advice as possible
Schools, colleges, adult-ed facilities, camera clubs, libraries, on-line research

i would have the cash to start off but just wanna know what direction to go in 1st!
North by north-east

So, in order to avoid being buried under a further avalance of sarcasm and caustic replies, perhaps you could expand a little bit on your OP: How old are you, what is your education level, what sort of photography are you interested in, what is your knowledge level, what is your knowledge/business experience? Do you plan to buy a camera tomorrow and start charging for your services next Monday, or is this a one, two, five or ten year plan?

How do you learn best? I've picked up everything I know off the internet, but that's not a method that works for everyone. I'm not a pro, because that doesn't interest me, but I think the technical understanding I've acquire just from the internet would be sufficient. (Of course I've been reading about this stuff on the internet for 10+ years) Local colleges will offer photography classes as well. Even if you don't want to be a full time student and get a degree, you can still take classes. Additionally, once you know your way around a little you can apprentice with or assist a pro in your area.

So.. direction to go first is to figure out the fundamentals, then you can start thinking about what camera is right for you. Going from newbie to pro is a many years adventure...

My advice is to spend the least amount of money as possible and start shooting and researching. Get some experience and see where that takes you.

hey guys i'm a newbie here, want to go into the field professionally....
Define 'professionally'. How much cash do you have to start with? $500? $5000? $50,000?

The direction to go in is forward.

When I see a post typed in all lowercase like this, with these kinds of extremely broad, unfocused questions, my first thought is that the person writing the post is not very motivated, and my second thought is the person has done zero research on their own.

Newspapers and magazines started firing their professional photographers about 10 years ago. By now most of theose photographers have moved on to 'other opportunities'.

Freelance commercial photographers have been going out of business at a prodigious rate.

Many retail photographers today are part-time only MWAC's who's average photography income is below the poverty line, so they have to support their 'fauxtography business' with other income.

Bestbuy and facebook produce professional photographers daily
bigthumb.gif

Wait...you want to be a "PRO" photographer yet you do not own a camera? What's your budget?

(classic thread!)

What is wrong with some of the people here? Yes, a person who's name is Photo_KID posts that they are very interested in photography and dream of doing it professionally, and that's what you have to say to them?

Photo_Kid - have you been using a point-and-shoot? Have you ever tried someone else's camera? It might be best to start with some lessons before choosing your camera. Your school might have a photography course, or your local photo shop might have an introductory workshop. Try out your school's camera, or a friends, if at all possible. Don't invest in a DSLR until you've really done your research and figure out what's best for your path.

By the way, Trever1t, the first image on your flickr page is completely out of focus, and the second is dull and flat. I stopped scrolling there.

By the way, Trever1t, the first image on your flickr page is completely out of focus, and the second is dull and flat. I stopped scrolling there.

Awesome! You're one of "those".

I stopped scrolling there, and then put you on my ignore list.

I think that you are missing a lot of opportunities to eat popcorn.

If you don't understand why I made that comment to him, then good riddance. There are a lot of people here who offer helpful advice and criticism here. Then there are some who just think they are better than everyone else and make themselves feel better by putting KIDS down for absolutely no reason at all, and don't even have a portfolio to back up their trash-talk. Good on you for encouraging that. The kid may not have a camera yet but hope to become a "pro photographer" someday... well, Trever has a big camera and... that's about it. What, he can be blunt, but I can't?

@The_Traveller - Remember, photography's for grown-ups. Have fun mocking people and putting them down. Lovely, encouraging place, this is.

Thanks for the unrequested C&C. I merely asked the OP what his budget was, I never claimed to be a great photographer nor did I post with dreams and aspirations of becoming pro even before I owned a camera. You are obviously much more talented an individual, I bow down to your infinite wisdom! Now you can kiss my arse! :D

Most reactions

Back