iPhone 5, meh....

Every other phone sucks compared to the iPhone thats the reality of it gang. Android is a security nightmare thanks to all their open source goodness. I do not want a phone the size of a brick or a tablet. I want a phone to talk on and occasionally look something up on or read an email. Thats it, the iPhone does that perfectly. The slightly larger screen is nice but not necessary the turn by turn is something I may or may not use but again its a nice addition and the great part is, like all iPhones it will work.

As much as everyone may want to complain about the iPhone the truth is they control the bulk of the market in sales. That means they must be doing something right !

I'm so disappointed that Apple and most of their copycats have hit a brick wall on innovation.

The GS3 has a lot more things to excite than the iPhone 5. Apple has lost their WOW. Everything is an incremental improvement now.

Never thought I'd say this, but the Nokia Lumia 920 looks VERY cool.

Rotanimod said:
I never contended the iPhone 5 won't sell. Despite it's disappointing lack of features after 2 years of waiting, I'm still considering it.

What I'm saying is there's no oomph to the announcement. No "oooo, ahhhhh..." moment like Apple has been so good at in the past. When Apple announced the 4s, I remember a lot of people were disappointed that it wasn't the iPhone 5. Now, expectations were higher than ever for Apple to deliver a revolutionary new product considering they had an extra year to build it, and my reaction is much the same as to the 4s..... Meh...

For the iphone 5 announcment, Everyone expected the bigger screen and thinner body. Those specs have been rumored and expected for 2 years.

The camera is the good camera in the 4s, but no significant upgrade there (panoramic is gimmicky, there are plenty of third party apps that already do that).

The iPhone 5 has a faster processor, that's great, but the competitors in the market already have all that and a bag of chips. Apple just seems to be behind in this regard.

4g, shmore-gee... Have you seen what Verizon and AT&T have been charging for data. ZOMG. It's probably better to get data at 3g speeds so Verizon and AT&T can't rape you as fast!

Bear in mind that I've had a 4G capable phone with unlimited data since Sprint rolled them out 2 years ago. I've also had a 4 inch screen and a fast processor. So this iPhone 5, 2 years later, isn't making my jaw hit the floor. I've been looking forward to this phone for 2 years (since I got my Evo 4) and had a bit higher expectations. ;)

There is no more luster to Apple because it died when Steve Jobs did (RIP). Besides Samsung G3 + Google*s jellybean, pre 4g capability, open platform ..sounds like Samsung win to me.

Last edited:
I will be upgrading to the iPhone 5. There is no doubt it's not the best phone on the market but I love how easy it is to use and being an apple user (MacBook, iPad, apple tv) really like how well they all work together.

Rotanimod said:
I never contended the iPhone 5 won't sell. Despite it's disappointing lack of features after 2 years of waiting, I'm still considering it.

What I'm saying is there's no oomph to the announcement. No "oooo, ahhhhh..." moment like Apple has been so good at in the past. When Apple announced the 4s, I remember a lot of people were disappointed that it wasn't the iPhone 5. Now, expectations were higher than ever for Apple to deliver a revolutionary new product considering they had an extra year to build it, and my reaction is much the same as to the 4s..... Meh...

For the iphone 5 announcment, Everyone expected the bigger screen and thinner body. Those specs have been rumored and expected for 2 years.

The camera is the good camera in the 4s, but no significant upgrade there (panoramic is gimmicky, there are plenty of third party apps that already do that).

The iPhone 5 has a faster processor, that's great, but the competitors in the market already have all that and a bag of chips. Apple just seems to be behind in this regard.

4g, shmore-gee... Have you seen what Verizon and AT&T have been charging for data. ZOMG. It's probably better to get data at 3g speeds so Verizon and AT&T can't rape you as fast!

Bear in mind that I've had a 4G capable phone with unlimited data since Sprint rolled them out 2 years ago. I've also had a 4 inch screen and a fast processor. So this iPhone 5, 2 years later, isn't making my jaw hit the floor. I've been looking forward to this phone for 2 years (since I got my Evo 4) and had a bit higher expectations. ;)

There is no more luster to Apple because it died when Steve Jobs did (RIP). Besides Samsung G3 + Google*s jellybean, pre 4g capability, open platform ..sounds like Samsung win to me.

Lots of fail in this logic. Lets see which phone sells better in a couple of months...

SamSpade1941 said:
Lots of fail in this logic. Lets see which phone sells better in a couple of months...
Not understanding, I had a 3gs and had to dowload third party software to mod my phone. Or had to use itunes to use their ringtones. The i5 is going to sell because it's more user friendly and a lot of hipsters are into Mac..more power to them. But I will not be restricted to a phone that should have been 4g back on iPhone 4. Or their first gen death grip phone. And to put the icing on the cake, you have to pay 99 bucks to register your app before it hits the market. If I'm going to do that i may as well pay for Xbox live.

Last edited:
who gives a $%&! about what phone does what better, or has a bigger market share...just like giving advice to someone buying their first camera...do some research, then go to the store, play with a bunch of them, and buy the one that best suits your needs and budget. an *&$% what anyone else thinks about your choice. they don't have to use it.

Galaxy S3 FTW BABY!!!

SamSpade1941 said:

The i5 is going to sell because it's more user friendly and a lot of hipsters are into Mac..more power to them

See you just hit the nail on the head right there. That's why the iPhone sells and sells like Johnny cakes on a Sunday morning. Most people in general do not want their phone to be an exercise in complexity. The Android OS from a security standpoint is horrible, needs an AV solution , is easily corrupted by its users, and the Android App store does not do a very good job vetting applications to insure you are not getting nasty surprises on your phone. All those cool features everyone talks about for the Android phones those are kind of like megapixels more is not always better....

Sometimes more is not always better.

I just want my phone to work reliably .... not be brick sized or take 20 megapixel raw file images. Its a phone....

As much as everyone may want to complain about the iPhone the truth is they control the bulk of the market in sales.

Something like 90% too right?

Correct.
No, not correct. Read the link I provided and pay particular attention to Table 2.

World wide, Apple has about 19% of the cell phone market and it's falling each quarter. Android phones dominate with about 64% of the cell phone market and it's increasing each quarter. Every other OS/maker (windows, blackberry, etc.) takes up the remaining 17% or so.

Apple does this every time they come out with something. They dominate for awhile, then others push them aside until they're irrelevant. It's why they nearly went bankrupt and why Bill Gates stuffed a bunch of money down Jobs' panties. At present they only have 3% of the desktops and laptops out there in the real world, even though there was NOTHING when they introduced theirs to the world. Now that everything electronic plays MP3s and has plenty of storage, you don't see a lot of iPods being sold. iPads are headed the same direction; Early dominance, followed by upstarts chipping away, and now there are far more Android-OS tablets being used out in the real world than there are Apple iPads.

As a company, yes, they sell more cell phones than any other single company at present, but do the math, and you'll see that's temporary, just like it's always been with Apple products.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back