Is older Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 D still good lens?

Oh I forgot to mention that if you're buying the 80-200mm, the non AF-S version may not work with your camera body. And sorry if I missed any mention of your body in previous post(s). Just wanted to mention that in case.....

It looks like he has a D7100 so it will work - and compliment that camera well.

What are the major differences Between push pull, and two-ring AF and AF-S? Are there any big differences in quality?

And thank you for the confirmation that it will work with my camera.

Last edited:
What are the major differences Between push pull, and two-ring AF and AF-S? Are there any big differences in quality?

Push-Pull means you don't turn a ring to zoom in and out- you slide the barrel of the lens forward and back. AF-S has a motor inside that drives the autofocus of the lens, while non AF-S uses the motor in the camera to focus the lens. Non AF-S focuses slightly slower, just as accurate though. In terms of image quality, they will be the same. Some people prefer push-pull zooms- it is an ergonomic preference, but also a major price difference.

I did notice that price difference is significant between push pull and two rings. That's why I might end up getting push pull.

I did notice that price difference is significant between push pull and two rings. That's why I might end up getting push pull.

I know several photographers who prefer push pull because it is easier to zoom in and out without having to constantly twist their hands. It's a preference. Cheap push pull zooms are loose and zoom creep if you hold the lens upsidedown, but the 80-200 push pulls generally have very good friction while zooming so they do not do this.

Af-s focuses faster and quieter but is less reliable (focus motors go bad after a while).

The push pull focuses quite slow the two ring is much better but not as fast as the afs.

Optics are the same on all of them.

Personally I'd go for the two ring, or an afs that has had the focus moter replaced recently.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back