just getting started...

doylie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone! I've wanted to be a photographer since I was little, but never really had a camera. My husband bought me a Nikon D40 for christmas, and I've had it in my hand since! I have an 18-55mm lens, telephoto lens, wide-angle lens, UV, FLD, and polarizing filters. My problem is though, that I really don't know anything about it or photography. I know some terms, and I know how to take a good picture when I see something I like. But how do I learn all the technical stuff?? Any suggestions on book or websites or classes that I should take to learn? Any and all imput is greatly appreciated.... :)

READ THE MANUAL. Guy at a camera store I went to yesterday told me to READ MY MANUAL lol. I have the same camera as you do, it's awesome!

Aside from that, do sign up for courses. I signed up for a beginner's course thru the local schoolboard myself.

Ya I got a Nikon D40 for christmas as well and I absolutely love it!! I've just been reading a lot of photography books. I love looking at photography magazines too, cuz they always seem to offer new ideas and suggestions.

I believe that there is a recent post from a day or so ago that outlines a lot of good reading. I would also suggest posting pictures on here a lot. The more you post the more input you will get the more you can learn from the people on here as well. Just remember that its a lot of personal taste when it comes to photography.

I don't know how to link to a thread in here so I bumped the thread i started a few days ago. Its titled best online source for beginners and has lots of links to start learning from. My camera is supposed to be here tomorrow so i've got some reading to do myself.

READ THE MANUAL. Guy at a camera store I went to yesterday told me to READ MY MANUAL lol. I have the same camera as you do, it's awesome!

Aside from that, do sign up for courses. I signed up for a beginner's course thru the local schoolboard myself.

Where at? I've been seeing a lot of good things about focal point and langara.

I was in the same situation recently. I ended up buying a book called Understanding Exposure at the recommendation of some other sites and it was a great read. it was simple to understand and it really helped to understand how everything works together.

While there are plenty of great Websites out there, I highly recomend two books to get you started. The first is the new manual of Photography by John Hedgecoe, published by DK, copyright 2003, ISBN 978-0789496379. You can buy it on Amazon used from $8. Fantastic book. You can probably find this at your local Borders Book store though.

The second is a must-have by Rick Sammon, Rick Sammon's Complete Guide to Digital Photography 2.0: Taking, Making, Editing, Storing, Printing, and Sharing Better Digital Images Featuring Adobe Photoshop Elements, copyright 2007, ISBN 978-0393329148, published by W. W. Norton.

Both are wise investments that are not overwhelming. The second is easier to ready.

Good luck and welcome to photography!

-Nick

Thank you! I'll be posting questions pretty often, I'm sure. :)

Dont forget that while you are reading all the books, manuals, websites, etc that a lot of information is to be used only a guide .. not a rule .. make plenty of time for just playing with the camera and experimenting with breaking the rules to help develop your own personal style. :mrgreen:

hi there,

I'm a newbie as well. I just wanted to ask how long some of you have been photographers and what kind of cameras do you use?

hi there,

I'm a newbie as well. I just wanted to ask how long some of you have been photographers and what kind of cameras do you use?

I got my first pro Nikon setup in the late 80's when I was around 12 (my dad was a photographer) Now I shoot with Nikon D200 & 300 setups

Wow....you have been in the biz for a while now. Well I hope it's not as complicated as I'm making it seem. When it comes to taking pictures I can do it all day long. When it comes to editing now thats a different story ...lol

Well I'll put it this way .. it's a lot easier to learn starting out now than it was 20 years ago .. standard knowledge back then extended into mathematics and chemistry plus it was way more expensive .. people complain now about photoshop being $600+ ... our darkroom in the house had $12,000 invested in it and it wasn't uncommon for us to go buy $300 in chemicals, paper and film then a week or 2 later think hmmm we need to go buy more supplies ... and that was just for our personal photography. Photoshop is way easier and faster than working in a traditional darkroom too.

Hi Doylie,

Check out the field guide for you particular camera, as well as reading the manual.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D40x-Digital-Field-Guide/dp/0470171480/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231975492&sr=8-7[/ame]

Hi Shutterinsect, are you taking, or have you taken the course through the Vancouver School Board? I am planning on taking the beginning course this month and would love to hear feedback if you have any!

Thanks = 0 )

Most reactions

New Topics

Back