Lens advice

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by ceemac, Jan 19, 2018.

1. ceemac

ceemac No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm thinking of purchasing a used FF camera, probably looking at the Canon 6D(not MKII). One is body and buying a Sigma 24-70 f2.8. The other is body with canon 24-105 f1.4L The sigma looks like a great lens. The Canon 24-105 f4L is described as a good kit lens, but I can't find any info on the f1.4L (It does say 1.4L on the lens). I will be doing mainly landscapes, street scenes and non portrait shots of people. Love to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks

2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    It's not a f1.4 lens if it's 24-105. It's f4. A 24-105 f1.4 lens would be about a foot long and probably weigh 3kgs.

I can't speak for the sigma but it's hard to go wrong with a 24-105 f4 for range and outright convenience. I don't think fullframe cameras need the f2.8 as much as they used to now that the cameras can comfortably shoot at much higher iso than older cams

Ymmv

3. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The 1.4 is actually written 1:4 which basically is another way of writing f number

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^ it says 1:4, not 1.4

1:4 = f/4

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. centauro74

centauro74 TPF Noob!

FYI, Sigma makes a 24-105 f4 that is sharper than the canon 24-105.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Today, I would go with the wider range 24-105 as a General Purpose (GP) lens.
    I would find myself switching out the 24-70 often, to get a longer reach. Going out to 105 would be a lot more convenient for a GP lens, and reduce the need to swap out for a longer lens.

7. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Canon is much more than a "kit" level lens. Here's some info.

Let us know what you decide.

-Pete

8. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The Canon lens is an "L" series lens. These are Canon's top-end lenses and are generally hard to beat. Most cost more than $1000 ... only a few are less. The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM was the original but there are have been a few updates recently. That lens was often bundled as the "kit" lens with full-frame Canon cameras (don't let the term "kit" fool you... when you get to full frame you're in a high-end category and the "kit" lens is also in a high end category).

Though I think the purchase price was around $900 to buy that lens stand-alone (it's one of the few lenses that was less than $1000) you could commonly find it for as low as $600 as a "white box" lens. This is because when Canon comes out with a new camera, initially they only sell the "kit" (camera + lens) and those who want to upgrade want the "body only" -- but would have to wait several months before Canon makes it available. So stores will open the box, remove the lens (which comes with it's own warranty card) and re-box it into a generic box so they can sell just the camera body alone. This made it an especially good deal (if you could find one) because it was technically "new".

I never owned this lens, but many people loved it. When I went full-frame, my conundrum was between the 24-105 f/4 ... or the 24-70 f/2.8 (which was more expensive.) But since I ended up also buying the 70-200mm f/2.8, I figured I'd do the 24-70 + 70-200 and have the whole range covered at f/2.8 and skip the 24-105 f/4. HOWEVER... if you were to ONLY buy ONE lens... then I'd recommend the 24-105. It'll be a bit more versatile as a single-lens solution until you end up acquiring more glass.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Cortian

Cortian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Ken Rockwell on the Canon Zoom Lens EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

Even with my short exposure to DSLRs, I find myself not necessarily in agreement with everything KR says, but I have found his site and his evaluations quite useful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ceemac

ceemac No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you all for your advice. It was f4, hard to tell from the picture. Guess I need full frame eyes. The reviews were helpful. I've read Rockwell's reviews on other lenses. I forgot about him, thanks.

You're right Tcampbell, "kit" does make it sound mediocre. It sounded like it would cover enough range for now. Nice to know it's a good lens.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I bought a Canon 5D kit for around $3,800, back when that was a hot, new full-frame d-slr! The huge box that the kit came in had...ta dah!...the 24-105 f/4 L IS USM lens inside! That lens made for a perfect general-purpose, one-lens, walk-around rig!

Yeah...it's got some distortion on the wide end...sure...but overall, a VERY useful focal length range. On full-frame, 24mm is quite wide! 28mm is less wide, yet still wide, but with less distorting of things at the corners and edges of the frame; 35mm is a wonderful lens length, a very useful semi-wide or pseudo-wide lens length; 45 to 55mm is very normal; 60 to 85 is short telephoto; 85-105 is moderate telephoto. The lens is not especially small, but it's quite,quite manageable, and on a 6D or 6D Mark-II, would be a good choice for a one-lens day at the sea shore, or the zoo, or on vacation, as well as adequate for studio pictures of many things.

12. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I'd also pick the Canon 24-105 over the sigma
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless