Lens advice

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by ceemac, Jan 19, 2018.

1. ceemac

ceemac No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What's your opinion of the 5dMKII? and the 6D? especially for low light

2. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The only problem issue the 6D had was that this was Canon's first DSLR that had built-in GPS. Since it can take a GPS several minutes to acquire a position fix, Canon feared that users would switch off the camera briefly (say... to change lenses), then switch the camera back on and start shooting... then get upset if the images weren't tagged with GPS data because it didn't have a position fix yet.

SO... they designed this camera model such that if you go into the menu system to enable the GPS ... the GPS is ON as long as there is a battery in the camera. Note I did not say anything about whether or not the camera is powered on... because that doesn't matter. If the battery is in the camera and the last time you used it, the GPS was on, then the GPS is still active and draining the battery EVEN with the power switch 'off'.

There are only two ways to disable the GPS. One way is to power on the camera, navigate to the menu page, and disable the GPS. The other way is to remove the battery (don't store the camera with the battery inside).

Users would forget to do this, and within a day or two of the last time they used their camera, they grab the camera and discover they had a completely dead battery.

In newer models of Canon DSLRs that have a GPS, Canon learned their lesson. They now offer an option to disable the GPS when the power is off and they offer a mode that puts the GPS into a mode where it just does very infrequent position fixes (so it's technically 'on' but not draining the camera as fast.)

The only other issue that stood out for the 6D was that the glue they use to attach the mode dial plate... seems to be weak or... maybe they just don't use enough. It just occasionally falls off (only for some users). That seems to be an uncommon issue (most 6Ds don't have their mode dial plate fall off). But considering we absolutely NEVER hear about this happening for any other model camera (Canon or non-Canon), Canon clearly did something different with the glue on this particular model.

Apart from that... the 6D technically has a slightly better sensor for low light as well as better low light focusing (actually it is one of the best cameras in the industry for low-light focusing.)

3. ceemac

Photos OK to edit
    Thankyou, Tim. I ordered the 6D, but as the store is closed today, I won't get confirmation they still have it in stock until Monday. In the meantime I bought the used lens EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM. I couldn't pass up the deal, supposedly in excellent condition, but I can return it if it's not. comes with a B&W UV filter and hood for 660 can.

4. photoflyer

photoflyer No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    This summer I purchased the 6D mark II and got the 24-105 F 4. It is strange to me that they call an L series lens a "kit" lens. It is fantastic. I use it for landscapes and it is a great on a full frame camera. I value speed and have faster lenses but for landscapes f 4 is normally fine - in fact one would normally shoot at a higher aperture setting anyway. Also, 24mm has been more than wide enough (for me) on a full frame body.

I see this is what you got. I think you will really enjoy it.

5. fotografdenunta

fotografdenunta TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you have the money buy the new Canon EF 24-105 f4 L II IS. It's better and it has super silence image stabilisation.

6. ceemac

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you both for your comments. The lens I got is the EF 24-105 f1.4L IS USM. I probably wouldn't notice a quieter lens. My wife says I'm going deaf because I don't hear (listen to) her like I used to. :02.47-tranquillity:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Enjoy the new camera and lens. It will help you make great photos. The 6d is so under rated. On paper it's specs are underwhelming. On photo paper it's image quality is super.

Great lens too

8. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Selective hearing comes with age.
    My mother had trouble hearing, then she surprised me by commenting on something that I whispered to my wife. So much for being hard of hearing.

9. ceemac

Photos OK to edit

And that's an important lesson to learn. Women can hear through walls !!! It will really help your marriage.

• Agree Agree x 1