Lens Help

seanbreaux1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi so i bought my 30D and i want to get a lens now. I already made a post about this but i decided i dont want to spend over 200 dollars for a lens that can see things far away. I looked at the canon ef 75-300 but i hear the image quality is not good i also was thinking about the canon ef 100-300 i heard that has a better picture quality. I dont know if there is an older lens that is better than those that i can buy for cheap or what

Thanks

Sean

soylentgreen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used the 75-300 Mark III i believe it was. Was showing a coworker how to use it with his XT. Not a terrible lens, just lacks the frills and whistles that would make it decent. Hence the $180 price tag. It takes photos, but really up to you if it matches the standards you want image quality wise. It is soft wide-open so stopping it down will improve its performance. Already a f4-5.6, it unfortunatley becomes an extremely slow lens at f/8 -11 that requires either a flash or a lot of natural light to obtain any usable shutter speed. You can jack-up the ISO also but than things can get noisy. With the 30D you should get decent results up to ISO 800.

Deadeye008

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hamblinphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had the Canon 100-300 USM and enjoyed it. Definitely not L quality but it is a decent lens. A little soft wide open and at the long end of the zoom. USM AF was very nice and fast.

Most reactions

New Topics