lenses for d90

Greg Oden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i am going to be purchasing the nikon D90 within the next few days. i am a beginer but i live by the saying "go big or go home". i want a good macro lens and a good telephoto lens. the camera comes with a 18-105mm. will that work well for either and/or what are my options. thx

You'll need to define some budgetary limitations here. When you talk about 'good' with relation to lenses, you're also talking expensive. A good telephoto is the 400mm f2.8 VRII; that will set you back about $9000.00. Something a little more practical might be the 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 which I think weighs in at a more reasonable $450. For macros, there's the 60mm ($600) or the 105mm ($850), HOWEVER before you do any of that, I would suggest get used to your new camera first. Find out what the pros and cons of the kit lens are, and go from there. Don't forget to consider used lenses as well as third-party. Tokina, Tamron and Sigma all make some pretty nice glass, and often an equivalent third-party lens will const significantly less than it's Nikon cousin.

i think that is the way to go. i should play around with the lens kit given. it will give me a chance to better myself by focusing on one area of photography compared to multiple areas. i was told by a friend that if i purchase the d90 i may have an option to get other lenses at an extra cheap price. i guess kinda as a throw in for the purchase. not sure the truth to the that yet. thx tirediron

D90, i have one

are you happy with the purchase and any other info you have. is the price coming down soon? anything helps. thx.

D90, i have one

How are you liking it?

I'm going to have to go down to the camera store here tommorow to check them out. The clerk told me last week that the weren't relesing them till Sept 30. Hmmmm, frustrating

The 105 macro is a fine piece of glass, I was shooting with one we have in stock the other day.

The 70-200 f2.8 offering from sigma is a, in my opinion, superb offering that can be had for ~800 new. I would go that route and find a quality teleconverter if you need more lens. Tele's are not the BEST alternative, but a good tele is better than a bad lens...

I love my D90, and have had the 70-300mm Nikon lens for awhile and it's fantastic for shooting the kids soccer games etc. Does a fine job. Went to a shoot last weekend with the kit lens and found it to be real nice... much more versatile than the 18-55 that came with the D40 i had. Here's a crop from a shot, strait off the camera with the 18-105 kit lens:
crophalfrez_0298.jpg

I'd say play with the kit lens and get a feel for what you'd like, further or closer.
JMO, and I'm a noob...

HTH
-Ted

You'll need to define some budgetary limitations here. When you talk about 'good' with relation to lenses, you're also talking expensive. A good telephoto is the 400mm f2.8 VRII; that will set you back about $9000.00. Something a little more practical might be the 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 which I think weighs in at a more reasonable $450. For macros, there's the 60mm ($600) or the 105mm ($850), HOWEVER before you do any of that, I would suggest get used to your new camera first. Find out what the pros and cons of the kit lens are, and go from there. Don't forget to consider used lenses as well as third-party. Tokina, Tamron and Sigma all make some pretty nice glass, and often an equivalent third-party lens will const significantly less than it's Nikon cousin.

well... he did say GO BIG OR GO HOME....

So... I suggest....

Nikor 12-24 F4
Nikor 24-70 F2.8
Nikor 70-200 F2.8

and a throw in a few primes

Nikor 50mm F1.4 AFS
Nikor 85mm F1.4
Nikor 105mm F2.8

and if you need longer... they don't really have anything mid priced so I guess you can get by with the

Nikor 70-300mm F5.6 VRII

Have fun with you D90 and your new lenses!!!

How are you liking it?

I'm going to have to go down to the camera store here tommorow to check them out. The clerk told me last week that the weren't relesing them till Sept 30. Hmmmm, frustrating

Try Wolf/Ritz stores if they have them in your area. Seems they got a touch of a jump on everybody else.

We got the D90(a ritz store) in on a Tuesday after some of the online places were showing them on Monday.

Kinda surprised everyone when three of them just showed up in a ups delivery.

Try Wolf/Ritz stores if they have them in your area. Seems they got a touch of a jump on everybody else.

Thanks...

I'm on Vancouver Island right now I don't think we have that store. I checked in today at the camera shop and they said definately not until the end of the month so I guess I'm SOL. I'm still undecided about what camera so have to wait and see I guess. I went and handled the D 300 today and the D80 again though definately missing my camera.

If you're in Van go to Black's or Kerrisdale camera's on the mainland. Best spots to grab stuff price wise, island will rip you off.

The Sigma 10-20mm is a wicked lens for the D90 and allows some cool video options as well.

Thanks...

I'm on Vancouver Island right now I don't think we have that store. I checked in today at the camera shop and they said definately not until the end of the month so I guess I'm SOL. I'm still undecided about what camera so have to wait and see I guess. I went and handled the D 300 today and the D80 again though definately missing my camera.
Or mail order from The Camera Store in Calgary, shipping is reasonable to Victoria, and no PST :p

But yeah, not until the end of the month/early oct until they have the D90 either.

Most reactions

Back