Liberty Dollar Coin - SOOC to Final Review

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by waday, Jul 27, 2017.

1. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nice work, and I really liked the processing walkthrough. My only VERY, VERY minor nit(s) are the small reflections under her nose, on and under lips and at the point of her chin. The one under her nose especially looks like she has a runny nose. A half-second with the clone tool and you'd have this nailed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. waday

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the comments! I didn't notice those, but now that's all I can see! I'll revisit this tonight. :smile:

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nice macro shot and adjustment.

One of my other hobbies is collecting coins, mostly older ones but still a lot of modern ones. On a coin forum we have large discussions about, well, every coin. LOL The Liberties are nice and some in the past have had large premiums after hitting the market.

• Like Like x 1
  6. waday

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you!

Nice! This is meant as a keepsake for our daughter. I always enjoyed coin collecting as a kid.

...Actually, on second thought, what I bought is the 1 oz medal, not the coin. What is the difference? I'm assuming the coin can be "spent", whereas the medal is for show?

7. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The medal does not have a valuation stamp on it. This makes it more of a bullion coin.
    The Liberty coin is the gold 1oz version of it which does have a $100 valuation stamp on it.

They both can be spent. Technically you could take the Liberty Coin 1oz Gold to the bank and cash it in for $100 dollars. Technically a grocery store could accept it for $100. With the Silver Medal you would have to go to a type of silver dealer (Local Coin Shop, etc) and convert the medal 1oz silver to spot price of silver to convert it to cash.

The above ignores the numismatic valuation of the coin/medal, which is far more. You would have to go to a local coin shop or numismatic shop to gain more of the true valuation of it. If you could sell it directly to a collector you can then gain more above selling it to a shop who will buy it at wholesale or even spot price valuation.

people will have variations on what they think about the medal vs coin and valuation, etc. too.

It's like if you had a Morgan Silver Dollar.
    People have been known to go to the local convenience store and use it as a One Dollar. Silver-wise is worth about $17. Numismatic valuation depends upon the year, mint location and condition and may be worth multiples more.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. waday

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for the detailed explanation! Very interesting!

9. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So you took some liberties with the Liberty, did ya? ;)

Love the final edit (though I do agree with John's comment about the reflections under the nose) and I appreciate the discussion and walk-through of the processing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the original, the golden tone with the cyan/blue highlights; I think it has more depth or dimension. (edit - Maybe a bit more vintage? or historic? or something.) Either could make for a lovely photo for a girl's room... hmm I'd be thinking mats and frames...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. waday

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you!

I'm glad you appreciate my wordplay. Sometimes I get a bit too dry, and people miss my humor. Heck, sometimes I miss it! :boggled:

Very interesting observation! I'll see if I can find a good balance with the golden tones. I'll look at it again tonight. I can understand and appreciate the vintage/historic aspect. :smile:

Interestingly, in some of these, the angles of the coin to the camera actually created a rainbow across her eyes, which I thought was oddly serendipitous. You can somewhat see it in the SOOC shot. If I remove the golden tone, you can see it much better. It's more pronounced in other shots.

• Like Like x 1
  12. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Not sure if they still do it since closing down original location and reopening in another (thanks UofM). But Crazy Jim's Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor would give you $50 cent piece, $1 dollar coins, and $2 bills in your change if it required it. I have had places deny the $2 bill thinking it's fake. :aiwebs_016: