Lighting too harsh?

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
I posted this over in the general gallery as well, but I really want to tear this one apart, specifically. I think it could be an astounding photo, but something's still wrong with it. For one thing, the DOF was way too short and I ended up out of the DOF, so I know that's probably going to require a reshoot. But what else can be done here? I think something is wrong with the lighting, but I can't put my finger on it...too harsh maybe??

IMG_2445_edited_RS.jpg

you have lost all detail in your hair, that was the first thing i noticed. the jpeg artifacts also distract me from the picture. and it seems a tad soft.

I really like the idea, but im not sure where you are looking? maybe it would be better if you were looking at her stomach... ;)

It's a little soft...need to stop down a bit more. Also lighting isn't quite right...might be better if lighting was oblique to get some shadows...

I find the pic a bit dark quite honestly.

Having said that, I also think I'd be happier with it (if it were my shot of myself and a pregnant wife) if I somehow managed to capture the look of awe on my face - awe at the fact that inside there is a new life... awe at the fact that a woman can carry a baby... awe at nature....

Hope you get what I mean mate. I think you need to "muck" with facial expressions and post a few shots. This one will not be easy my friend.

(although I admit I might completely be barking up the wrong tree.)

The direct lighting is making everything flat with no defining shadows. You used on-camera flash, right? I'd move the main light to the left and try to go with a stronger light source. You're getting too much drop-off as you move back into the picture, which is why it seems so dark.

markc said:
The direct lighting is making everything flat with no defining shadows. You used on-camera flash, right? I'd move the main light to the left and try to go with a stronger light source. You're getting too much drop-off as you move back into the picture, which is why it seems so dark.

Honestly I don't remember for sure--it was either a softbox direct-flashed or a full-flash bounced off the ceiling. Judging by the catchlights I'm guessing this was a softbox.

Someone noted that it's a bit soft, and I agree wholeheartedly--the problem came in because I had way way too big an aperture set, and the DOF didn't catch me--it focused on her belly and I didn't notice it until I'd already downloaded the photos into the computer.

hi well i think it's a pretty cool picture, what everyone has suggested about the light also sounds about right but i was wondering if the composition needed changing, but only slightly, it's a little too straight down the middle (in my opinion) and seems a little too tall, you could crop a bit more or try various frame positions over the top to see what looks best, or alternatively show a bit more of the scene, whatever suits the mood you're going for. hope that was some help i expect you have thought of all that already!

Shark said:
Honestly I don't remember for sure--it was either a softbox direct-flashed or a full-flash bounced off the ceiling. Judging by the catchlights I'm guessing this was a softbox.
Do you mean a softbox over an on-camera flash? The catchlight looks like it's too small to be anything larger. The top of her tummy is in shadow and there's light under your brow, so I don't think it's bounced. The softbox will help reduce the harsh glare of a direct flash, but it reduces the flash output even more. This is where off-camera lighting wouldl make a big difference. You don't have to put out a lot of cash for a pro strobe. A hot-light with an umbrella and reflector would do the trick.

Most reactions

Back