Looking for a film camera or a FED or medium format camera.

Pumpedupkicks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I started a thread about looking for a FED camera I am looking for a FED camera or a medium format camera like a Kiev 88 or something like that. I am looking to learn more about film. I am a senior in high school and in the fall I am looking to start college. I wanted to major in photography. My blog is My Life In Photography please tell me what you guys think about my pictures. I wanted to choose a career that I liked and I love photography but I don't know if my photography is good enough. Like I said I wanted to buy a film camera and try medium format! Thanks

I started a thread about looking for a FED camera I am looking for a FED camera or a medium format camera like a Kiev 88 or something like that. I am looking to learn more about film. I am a senior in high school and in the fall I am looking to start college. I wanted to major in photography. My blog is My Life In Photography please tell me what you guys think about my pictures. I wanted to choose a career that I liked and I love photography but I don't know if my photography is good enough. Like I said I wanted to buy a film camera and try medium format! Thanks

Not sure exactly what you're asking, here. Are you looking for suggestions on what camera to buy?

I took a look at your blog, and your photos aren't bad at all. They are a bit too instagram-ish to me, but that's just a a matter of personal taste I suppose. As for majoring in photography, I wanted to suggest that you consider majoring in business instead. Photography can be learnt without college, but to be a successful photographer you will need a solid understanding of business practices. Just a suggestion.

For what it's worth, I have a degree in photography, but now work in engineering. I'm glad I studied photography, but could have saved myself ALOT of time & money if I had studied business instead as it would have been very useful for either photography if I had stuck with it, or my current line of work.

I have a Contax G1 with 28mm f2.8 mm lens that i am looking to sell . It comes in excellant shape with manuals nad the lens too is in excellant shape. PM me if interested.

I am just looking for pretty much any film camera.I need to learn how to use a film camera. I will major in photojournalism cause I worked at my local paper over the summer and loved it.

As far as medium format cameras go, any 120 camera will be fine. I have several older cameras that take 620 film, but a roll of 120 film can be sanded down on the ends to fit. It has worked fine for me on many occasions. I have a few kodak medium format cameras that take some great photos. My favorite is the Kodak Duaflex IV. It is a TLR that has a kodet lens. It takes some pretty awesome photos. I picked it up on ebay for around $20. The only bad part is, unless you start to develop your own 120 film, you have to have it sent off for development. I recommend thedarkroom.com. They do a great job with all of my 120 film. If you are looking for something newer so you don't have to rig the film, both Holga and Diana make some nice 120 cameras if you are interested in the lomography look and feel. They will cost you around $40-$60 depending on what you are looking for. Below are photos of my Kodak Duaflex, and the results it produces. I would highly recommend this one. I checked ebay, there are literally hundreds of these things floating around on the internet.

If you don't want to send off your film somewhere, you can always go with 35mm. A great beginning SLR is the Pentax K1000. These go for around $70-$100 on ebay. The price can be cheaper depending on condition. I would highly recommend the Pentax. Some argue it is one of the greatest cameras ever produced. This can be very true, seeing as it was produced for 21 years with very little changes in design. The K1000 is a serious "workhorse", and will never fail you. There are cheaper 35mm SLRs, but if you are really serious about film, you can't go wrong with the Pentax. I like the k1000, because it is tough, and doesn't take up a lot of space in my dorm room. Plus it is easy to take around campus and get some nice shots. My best 35mm camera is the Nikon N8008. I have always been a Nikon person, and this camera is unbeatable. It runs around $300, so it won't be a cheap purchase. On the good side, it is a solid camera that takes fantastic photos. I will include samples of that one as well. The black and white photo I posted was developed in my darkroom, and printed on my enlarger. Pretty good results. The N8008 is also nice for double exposures. Hope this helps. My favorite place to get cameras is ebay. Just make sure you find a good seller that guarantees the function of the camera.

Attachments

• $DSC_0020.JPG
    $DSC_0020.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 149
  • $37280007.jpg
    $37280007.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 141
  • $37280002.jpg
    $37280002.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 166
  • $37280004.jpg
    $37280004.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 132
  • $IMG.jpg
    $IMG.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 131
  • $060800-R1-14-11.jpg
    $060800-R1-14-11.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 133
  • $DSC_0058.JPG
    $DSC_0058.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Wow they looking amazing the only thing is that I do not have a credit card so I couldn't go through Paypal I just have cash money that's why I wanted to see if anyone was selling one were I can just send cash money

Wow they looking amazing the only thing is that I do not have a credit card so I couldn't go through Paypal I just have cash money that's why I wanted to see if anyone was selling one were I can just send cash money

Ah ok. Try lomography.com. They have a ton of cameras like the ones above, including some old ones. As far as I'm aware, they take money orders. This would be simple, because all you'd have to do is exchange your cash for a money order at Walmart or a bank. Try their website, they have a huge selection, and you'd be able to get everything in one place.

You may also want to try a Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity. I went by Goodwill several months ago and picked up a Polaroid for $3. The same ones are selling on ebay for $30. They also had some 35mm cameras in there. You'd be lucky to find anything 120, but as for normal 35mm and Polaroids, Goodwill is full of some old cameras. This would also allow you to use cash, and check the functions of the camera right there in the store. If you do this, you may want to bring several batteries with you. A lot of time, you won't be able to tell if a camera works unless you put batteries in. It would be good to bring some with you, in the event you want to test everything out before you buy anything.

Last edited:
I'd check your local craigslist or pawn shops/thrift stores if you're not being picky.

edit:.. oh.. nreed_94 already mentioned that..

Thank you! Do you have any cameras for sell

>Nikon N8008. I have always been a Nikon person, and this camera is unbeatable. It runs around $300, so it won't be a cheap purchase.

Nikon Autofocus Camera Bodies - KEH.com

15 years ago, a used N8008 might have run $300. Today: they are very cheap. I have an N8008s that "used to be" digital, and another one that still is. They cost a LOT when new.

You are looking at $40 for an N8008s, and another $45 for a kit zoom.

Nikon Autofocus Zoom Lenses - KEH.com

cheaper than the Fed camera. The Nikon N70 is also good, and even cheaper. Used to go for $500. $25 will get a body.

Well I got a Nikon D5100 I got 3 Holga's and also an instant camera and AGFA Speedex Junior camera and NO.2 folding autographic brownie camera I am just looking to expand my collection

Most reactions

Back