Looking to add a lens to my arsenal but can't decide

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into a couple of options for either a new lens and or a macro filter Canon 500D

Im heading to Hawaii on vacation in February and want to be able to take a wide range of shots: Landscape shots, some macro and some portraits

I currently have the 18-55mm and 55-250mm kit lenses.

So what I was thinking of doing was to get the Canon 500D to get some macro capabilities with out breaking the bank and then either getting a wide angle lens for the landscape and other architectural shots or getting the nifty fifty to have a lens that will help with taking some good portrait shots.

What do you think would work best in this situation? I've raided the forums and did some searching but nothing really stuck out.

Thanks,

I would seriously forget the macro lens and prime lens for now. Stick with what you have and also buy a wide angle lens. Take it from someone who has been there before..the landscape opportunities are out of this world.

Actually, if you want sweeping landscape shots, I would suggest going with a prime lens and shooting panoramas. While wide-angle lenses do you get more scene in one shot, they also (unless you're paying $1500+) tend to distort, sometimes a LOT. This is an example of what I mean. While it looks small shrunk for web display, the original (IIRC, 10 images stitched, shot around 35-40mm FL) would print out at about 18" high and 7' long. You don't need to get quite so carried away, often two or three images will make a great shot.

If you want the lens for more than just landscape, then a wide-angle is a good answer, and I would look at the Tokina 11-16.

Thanks fsquare and TireDiron, I do plan to shoot more than just landscapes , although I was hoping to keep it under $500. I didn't realize that wide angle lenses started out so high.

That Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, would it distort the images as much as in the example you provided?

What about the Canon EF 24mm f2.8, would it be worse than the Tokina?

a 24mm lens isn't a wide angle lens on a crop sensor. Why buy a 24mm lens when you can already shoot at 24 on your 18-55?

The 11-16 is a VERY good wide angle lens, and doesn't distort much at all. A word to the wise about shooting wide angle though: How to Use Ultra-Wide LensesYes, I just linked to a Ken Rockwell article. But hey, he actually has some great advice in this one for once!!

Destin said:
a 24mm lens isn't a wide angle lens on a crop sensor. Why buy a 24mm lens when you can already shoot at 24 on your 18-55?

The 11-16 is a VERY good wide angle lens, and doesn't distort much at all. A word to the wise about shooting wide angle though: How to Use Ultra-Wide LensesYes, I just linked to a Ken Rockwell article. But hey, he actually has some great advice in this one for once!!

Thanks for the link it was a good read and you have a point with the 24mm, didn't really think of it that way, definitely something to keep in mind.
Must admit that I like the possibilities a wide angle could provide although it means I'll probably have to wait before I buy it at $750.

Another question relating this, does a BW UV filter help when taking lanscape shots ex: Mountains etc?
If I'm not mistaken I've read that it helps take away some haze in the distance?

Found a deal that I might go with and need to know if the UV filter is actually good for anything other that protection.
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM and
B+W Filters 52mm UVa 010 MRC XS-PRO Slim with Front Thread for $400. I can get the lens new for $440 and that filter for $90 and the guy says they are both in mint condition.

Can anyone shed some light?

Yes, UV is for haze in the atmosphere.
My other favorite filter for landscape is skylight. It gives you amazing skies, fall colors and cloud definition.
What does adorama or B&H charge to ship to Canada? It's $359 USD at Adorama. B&H will be the same. The filter runs $46 USD new at Adorama.
If it's new, why would someone say it's in mint condition? Sounds used to me?
It's not going to be the highest quality filter, but it's not a $10 junk one either. I am not a filter for protection kind of person, but MANY are. That's a decision you have to make.
As for the haze cutting effects-you can see a difference in the summer when the haze is heavy. Is it HUGE? No.
I probably wouldn't do the filter PERSONALLY, but that's me. Hard to make the call for you, KWIM? I'd probably try out a cheap filter first and see if it's really making a difference and you feel you NEED a good one. Then again I have thrown $50 away on dumber things.

No, you already have a UV filter built into the camera that sits on top of the sensor. An additional UV filter will do nothing on a digital SLR. As far as protection goes, some people won't use them at all, some people swear by them. I don't use them personally, but feel free to search the threads here as that debate has been had many many many times. No need to repeat.

Btw, that is not a good deal for that lens. Ignore the filter. You should be buying that lens used around $325. That's how much I paid for mine with a cheap UV filter and it is spotless.

Nor do I think that lens would be beneficial for your upcoming Hawaii vacation. You most likely don't need the extra speed or the small DoF it can provide. For portraits, it is a fantastic lens. But it's uses are fairly limited. For you, I would highly consider getting a wide angle zoom like the Tokina listed above. I also remember hearing good things about the Sigma wide zoom. I have the Canon 10-22 and it's ok. The corners get a bit stretched and soft at 10mm, even at medium apertures, but it's a VERY useful focal length range for landscape. On a crop sensor I don't believe it is considered to be "ultra wide".

Sorry for chain posts but take a look at this....

Canon 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 $726 @ amazon vs. Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 $479
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens Image Quality

The IQ quality is very similar according to this test.

Canon 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 vs Tokina 11-16mm $699 @ amazon

The Canon appears to be better quality to me.

Canon vs Tamron 10-24 $469 @ amazon

Tamron seems to have the slight edge on the Canon.

Notice that these tests are all at f/16 which is where you'll probably be doing most of your landscape wide angle stuff. Feel free to compare other aperture and focal length combinations. The conclusions may be different.

To me the decision is clear... the Tamron is the best price, best quality, and largest range of FLs and fits into your $500 budget.

On top of that, you will want to consider getting a Circular polarizer filter. It's difficult to describe the affect it has on your images exactly, but it can strengthen or weaken reflections (whichever you want), cuts down on glare from glossy surfaces, darkens clear skies when shooting perpendicular to the sun's position etc.... I don't recommend you skimp here either. If you are serious about landscape, go for the gold and get the $180 77mm multicoated B+W. It's quality glass, quality engineered. I loved mine (until I cracked it on a rock). I have two or three different brands and models since and they have all been HUGE disappointments for one reason or another.

Thanks MLeek and bazooka,

I wasn't new, I meant I could get it new for $440 at a store in town.
As the filter is concerned, I wouldn't use it for protection as I'm very anal when it comes to taking care of my things, especially electronics.
I looked on B&H and I could get it shipped for $380 including customs, so thank you for guiding me there. I'll refer to it from here on in.
The reason I was looking at the 50mm was mainly for price and I felt it was an upgrade over what I already have.
I would to buy the Tokina wide but as it stands I don't have the extra cash to get it, I guess it might be better to wait then and see if I can get it used and or save up.

Funny as soon as I finished posting I found the Tokina ATX 11-16mm for $500 used and in mint condition here in town... Would that be a reasonable price?

Funny as soon as I finished posting I found the Tokina ATX 11-16mm for $500 used and in mint condition here in town... Would that be a reasonable price?
Yes and it would probably be a better range for landscape than 50. Put your kit lens at 50mm and walk about shooting ONLY at 50mm. See how it feels. Probably going to be fairly tight feeling to you.

Sorry for chain posts but take a look at this....

Canon 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 $726 @ amazon vs. Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 $479

The IQ quality is very similar according to this test.

Canon 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 vs Tokina 11-16mm $699 @ amazon

The Canon appears to be better quality to me.

Canon vs Tamron 10-24 $469 @ amazon

Tamron seems to have the slight edge on the Canon.

Notice that these tests are all at f/16 which is where you'll probably be doing most of your landscape wide angle stuff. Feel free to compare other aperture and focal length combinations. The conclusions may be different.

To me the decision is clear... the Tamron is the best price, best quality, and largest range of FLs and fits into your $500 budget.

On top of that, you will want to consider getting a Circular polarizer filter. It's difficult to describe the affect it has on your images exactly, but it can strengthen or weaken reflections (whichever you want), cuts down on glare from glossy surfaces, darkens clear skies when shooting perpendicular to the sun's position etc.... I don't recommend you skimp here either. If you are serious about landscape, go for the gold and get the $180 77mm multicoated B+W. It's quality glass, quality engineered. I loved mine (until I cracked it on a rock). I have two or three different brands and models since and they have all been HUGE disappointments for one reason or another.
\

No worries I appreciate the input. It would end up at $515 with shipping and customs.

Thanks for taking the time to show me these options.

Yes and it would probably be a better range for landscape than 50. Put your kit lens at 50mm and walk about shooting ONLY at 50mm. See how it feels. Probably going to be fairly tight feeling to you.

You bring up a good point. I could do that for now and and adding a wide angle will give me a wider range of possibilities. (pun intended lol)
Oh and that lens has sold already :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back