Mac Pro or PC

He is a professional artist. He has no business using a windows box. Come on people, really? He is getting paid to deliver and windows is on the cusp of being gone anyway. The hardware and software drivers alone make this question a no brainer. People always think it is the hardware but it isn't, that is what drives the industry.

There are a ton more hardware options than Mac's.

Which is why Windows is inherently less stable than OS. Microsoft trys to make it work with ever piece of hardware out there be it good, decent or some crap Bob and Larry put together in their basement.

I guess being a tech I prefer to choose the hardware I want. And Windows 7 and Windows 10 are very stable. At work we deal with over 5,000 PC's that we manage. Sure Mac OS has some good things going for it but it is nowhere as flexible.
I am not saying Windows is better or Mac is better, its personal preference. But there is nothing that Mac can do that Windows can't and stating that a professional has no business using Windows is the biggest BS.

Here are 7 for starters.

1 - Back-Up Your Files and Data hassle free.

2 - Quickly Preview The Contents Of A File with quick look.

3 - Defrag you hard drive on the fly.

4 - Uninstalling Apps seamlessly.

5 - Retrieve Something You’ve Deleted From Your File with ease.

6 - Move and Rename A File, Even When It’s Open In Another App

7 - Multi-Touch Gestures.

He is a professional artist. He has no business using a windows box. Come on people, really? He is getting paid to deliver and windows is on the cusp of being gone anyway. The hardware and software drivers alone make this question a no brainer. People always think it is the hardware but it isn't, that is what drives the industry.

There are a ton more hardware options than Mac's.

Which is why Windows is inherently less stable than OS. Microsoft trys to make it work with ever piece of hardware out there be it good, decent or some crap Bob and Larry put together in their basement.

I guess being a tech I prefer to choose the hardware I want. And Windows 7 and Windows 10 are very stable. At work we deal with over 5,000 PC's that we manage. Sure Mac OS has some good things going for it but it is nowhere as flexible.
I am not saying Windows is better or Mac is better, its personal preference. But there is nothing that Mac can do that Windows can't and stating that a professional has no business using Windows is the biggest BS.

Here are 7 for starters.

1 - Back-Up Your Files and Data hassle free.

2 - Quickly Preview The Contents Of A File with quick look.

3 - Defrag you hard drive on the fly.

4 - Uninstalling Apps seamlessly.

5 - Retrieve Something You’ve Deleted From Your File with ease.

6 - Move and Rename A File, Even When It’s Open In Another App

7 - Multi-Touch Gestures.

Don't waste you time. I could add to that list, the file system alone that Windows dreams of doing. Just because he has 5k PC's alone has nothing to do with an artist executing an image visually and physically. Windows print system alone is the worst thing in computing and is antiquated. Gates knows it too. The secret is in the sauce. MS is McDonalds and Apple is @Gary A.'s coffee and barbeque sauce, precision.

Trevor, if you do go with a Mac get this book. The wife was a long time Windows user and for quite a while for good reason, she had to have Office products at home.

Microsoft Office products were Windows driven for many years. Microsoft recognized the market they were loosing and have done much to upgrade their office products for Mac including Outlook. Now you can run Office 365 on a Windows machine or and Apple Machine.

The only basic business product that they did not offer until 365 was Access. Frankly having used Access and File Maker Pro, there is no comparison. Access has a huge learning curve while FMP is very much drag and drop. We could teach a newbie how to set up a data base in FMP in an hour.

She got the dummies book when she got her MBP and was amazed to find a ton of little known things you can do with OS. It makes the transition much easier.

I'm not going to get in an argument which is better. It comes down to personal preference. Back in the day you were probably correct but this is old nonsense. Adobe products and other graphic design software work both the same whether on PC or Mac's.
I work for a University and the 5,000 PC's my dept manages include lab computers that are used with everything from CAD, GIS and Graphic Design. We deall with both PC's and Mac's and I know them pretty intimately.

I knew I'd get some replies here, lol. I'm only investigating for now, any upgrade is going to be late summer after I move into the new home.

Thanks for the link to the book, I'm a bit apprehensive about the transition. I have iPad and iPhone but never used Mac OS.

Lots of things to mull over!

On WIndows...can you do a System search, and determine WHICH, exact, specific files or filders are the very best images? Which are second-best? Which are third-best? Which files have been backedup up to external drives or media? Which files or folders are "In Progress"?

Does Win 10 have file and folder labeling, by the user?So that users can search and find files that they have labelled, and I mean labelled as categories, not re-named or specially named?

File and folder labeling is something Mac OS had for a loooong time; then the French dimwits Jobs brought back from NEX decided to eliminate labneling in early OD X variants; file lkabelking is now back, and has been back for 12 years or so.

To ME, the ability to color-code files and folders, and to organixe and to search for files and folders based on the labels I have assigned them, is one of the core features I use in Mac OS.

Once you understand the ability to "categorize", in a generic sense, without re-naming things, this Mac feature becomes a powerful tool.

On WIndows...can you do a System search, and determine WHICH, exact, specific files or filders are the very best images? Which are second-best? Which are third-best? Which files have been backedup up to external drives or media? Which files or folders are "In Progress"?

Does Win 10 have file and folder labeling, by the user?So that users can search and find files that they have labelled, and I mean labelled as categories, not re-named or specially named?

File and folder labeling is something Mac OS had for a loooong time; then the French dimwits Jobs brought back from NEX decided to eliminate labneling in early OD X variants; file lkabelking is now back, and has been back for 12 years or so.

To ME, the ability to color-code files and folders, and to organixe and to search for files and folders based on the labels I have assigned them, is one of the core features I use in Mac OS.

Once you understand the ability to "categorize", in a generic sense, without re-naming things, this Mac feature becomes a powerful tool.
Well said.

[QUOTE="I guess being a tech I prefer to choose the hardware I want. And Windows 7 and Windows 10 are very stable. At work we deal with over 5,000 PC's that we manage. Sure Mac OS has some good things going for it but it is nowhere as flexible.
I am not saying Windows is better or Mac is better, its personal preference. But there is nothing that Mac can do that Windows can't and stating that a professional has no business using Windows is the biggest BS.[/QUOTE]

I'm a tech for the State of California and I couldn't agree more with this ^^^ My Windows machine, which I built, can do anything a Mac can and I use it professionally for my photography. Saying a professional has no business using a Windows system is like saying the camera, NOT the photographer, determines the quality of the photograph.

Trevor, I'm going to let you in on a little secret about adapting to Apple OS. We don't tell this to everyone because we are some what particular about the people we want in the club. We took a vote and I am happy to tell you that we would love to invite you into our group.

Here's the thing, the biggest roadblock to transitioning to a mac is thinking about it.

Many don't realize that Apple released the first GUI while Microsoft was still DOS based. In fact Apple had and still has the real trash can. Bill borrowed if for his GUI, got sued and lost. Ahhh those were heady days to be sure.

In many ways the basic GUI is a mirror image of what you are using in Windows. Instead of a red yellow and green square in the upper right hand corner they are circles in the upper left hand corner. The tool menu is the same, File, Edit, View etc. The finder is a bit different as it is more complex with more choices, but if you like the windows finder style you got it.
We always save the best for last................no Registry System like Windows. :bouncingsmileys:

Thing is, If my 5 year old Granddaughter can do it you can. She's a window user at home as her dad is a Programmer for a very large medical software firm. Medic is probably using some of that software in his job. She can sit down to the iMac and go to town. I dare to say that San Jose CA must have an Apple store or two nearby. Go give an iMac a spin around the block but be careful. They have lots of pretty shiny things in the store as they like to keep the latest coolest hardware on the shelves. :biggrin-93:

I work for the provincial (State) Hospital network. Since a patients life is "NOT" important we settle on unreliable PCs. (If you can't read the satire in that statement.... I'll spell it out for you :) S A T I R E)

Look, Mac and PCs have their pros and cons. To state PCs are "on their way" out and not dependable machines though is simply wrong. We all have our anecdotal stories of "I had a Mac/PC that lasted 75 years and still running today on the original steam engine it was built on...." but come on, individual stories mean nothing. I've seen Macs fail and PCs fail.... Each one has had it's stellar models and it's flops. There are pros and cons in the software as well. If you grew up on Mac you'll rarely ever love a PC as much and vice versa. (Yes some people switch, but I've seen as many switch both ways). I thought most forums banned these discussions.....?

And I agree with DandL....... saying a professional has to be on a Mac is like saying he has to be using a Canon/Nikon... (Fill in with camera of your choice). Nobody on this forum or any customer will look at a photographer's portfolio and say... "A heck he produced those photos with Unix machine running.... what kind of photographer does he think he is?" :)

"On WIndows...can you do a System search, and determine WHICH, exact, specific files or filders are the very best images? Which are second-best? Which are third-best?"

Yes, including searching 300 different details which include all exif data, resolution, ratings, flags, etc, etc , etc.

"Which files have been backedup up to external drives or media? Which files or folders are "In Progress"?"

The in progress status is a sore point. They had it but for some reason got removed. There is a push to get it back and it looks like Microsoft will.

But it will also do file versioning history so you can restore previous version. Backup and backup history works great in Windows 10

"Does Win 10 have file and folder labeling, by the user?So that users can search and find files that they have labelled, and I mean labelled as categories, not re-named or specially named?"

Yes it does.

"To ME, the ability to color-code files and folders"

There are a lot of free File Explorer add-ons to do this.

" and to organixe and to search for files and folders based on the labels I have assigned them, is one of the core features I use in Mac OS."

Yes you can.

My son is the IT Manager of a Federal agency, because of the ongoing debate on which is better, they pretty much have to accommodate both. As a personal opinion he likes the latest released Macs and has tried to convince me to switch, though he favors the Cube successors.

Last edited:
Anecdote; We had Macs in the 1980's then since I wanted to learn CAD, I bought a PC computer for home use. Then I got a job where it was all PC, and taught myself Windows. After 20 years on PCs, I decided to get an iMac, primarily for editing photos. The transition could have been easier, but since I had been away from Mac for so long, I found it confusing. I bought one of the David Pogue books as listed here:

Amazon.com: mac os the missing manual: Books

I'm sure I still need to learn more, but I have enough for now.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Coming from a standpoint of cost (since I build windows based PC's and have used Mac based systems in a semi-professional capacity) windows based PC's win. To get the same performance you will spend quite a bit less for a windows based PC. If however you are looking for seamless cross platform integration then Mac wins. If you are out of warranty and something goes bad and needs to be replaced PC wins due to cost and availability of parts. If you are looking for a specific feature either side wins. So it all comes down to personal preference. Or you could just go Linux on a 3 year old recycled machine and beat both of them :)

Coming from a standpoint of cost (since I build windows based PC's and have used Mac based systems in a semi-professional capacity) windows based PC's win. To get the same performance you will spend quite a bit less for a windows based PC. If however you are looking for seamless cross platform integration then Mac wins. If you are out of warranty and something goes bad and needs to be replaced PC wins due to cost and availability of parts. If you are looking for a specific feature either side wins. So it all comes down to personal preference. Or you could just go Linux on a 3 year old recycled machine and beat both of them :)
Sorry have to disagree about the out of warranty thing. The old iMac was well out of warranty when the display began to go bad. Took it to the Apple store and was told it's out of warranty but let us look at it. Called the next day by the tech and sure enough the display was going bad............BUT...........he found a tiny bit of contamination so Apple replaced the display free of charge.

Have an apple watch, the black space version. The band started wearing. Called apple watch support and they had me send them an photo of the wear on the band. Two days later I had a brand new $500 band on my doorstep again free of charge. They didn't want the old band back. I wear the old band for everyday and put the good band on for dress.

Cheap pc parts may be nice but FREE is nicer. Apple support is good to their users in my experience.

Most reactions

Back