Maternity shoot - please advice on lighting

Leftyplayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of the family is pregnant and, when I suggested she get some professional maternity photos done, she said she really didn't want to. She, however, agreed to pose for me as a favor. I made certain that she knew that this would be a learning experience for me, and encouraged her to also get professional photos, as I think she would never regret having pics of her pg. It goes without saying that I'd be happy if she gets some nice pictures out of our shoot. We'll be doing the shoot next week.

We will be doing half the shoot outdoors and I'm pretty confident with that. However, I'd like to take some shots indoors and am thinking through ahead of time some of the barriers involved in that. She lives in a small apartment (largest room about 12x12), where the lighting is not the worst, but not the best either. I have a strobe, umbrella and reflector. I know there's a corner in the apartment with two windows - that should help with some of the photos I'm envisioning.

But I'd also like to take some shots in this lighting style: Maternity Profile | Flickr - Photo Sharing! What I understand about the technique (in a non-studio setting) is to set the aperture so the environment is dark, and then illuminate the subject while avoiding spill into the room. I've used a tiny snoot on my flash to do this, and it has worked nicely on smaller subjects, but it would be stretching it with a whole person.

Any tips on set up and/ or gear for this type of low-key shot?

What else should I keep in mind or prepare to make the experience a good one for the momma?

Materinity shots are all about the client being comfortable and relaxed. If she's tense, uncomfortable, or not happy, it's going to come through in the images. Your primary job will be to help her relax. As for the image you linked to, that's not a one-light shot. It's done with two lights; one up and about 20 degrees subject right, and the second directly behind acting as a hair light. You can probably get something fairly close (and IMO, perhaps even nicer) by setting your key light up as it is in the photo, and then using a reflector to bounce some of the light from the key onto her back and hair. This will give it a softer, more diffuse look.

You can probably get something fairly close (and IMO, perhaps even nicer) by setting your key light up as it is in the photo, and then using a reflector to bounce some of the light from the key onto her back and hair. This will give it a softer, more diffuse look.

Thank you for that tip! Definitely something I can give a shot (and will practice BEFORE the shoot).

You can do the same with one (or both!) of the windows in her apartment, however, you may want to gel your flash to match the window light. It will be quite a bit cooler or more blue than your flash unless it is straight sunlight. If you haven't, read up on off camera lighting at strobist.com. Check out the Lighting 101 course.

Thanks, bazooka. I love strobist.com and am currently working my way through Lighting 102.

Most reactions

Back