Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras? Opinions? Favorites?

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've been looking at these types of cameras, thinking one day I may actually like to have one, something smaller than my Nikon D5100, but also have some of the same qualities. Then I stumbled onto the Olympus OM-D, I was thinking this was a beautiful camera, and then I saw the price tag :thumbdown:. Either it seems to be a pretty good camera from what I saw in a review.

So what else is out there that is good, what are you guys favorite MILCs?

I can only recommend the Panasonic GF3, I bought it earlier this summer as a compliment to my bigger D200 and I can only say I love that little thing!

The quality of the images from it is really good. A big plus is the size, they are real easy to take it with you wherever you go(especially with a pancake lens as the 14mm 2.5 or something like that.)

And I can only agree on that the Olympus OM-D is a beautiful camera.

I am starting to get an itch to get one of these Micro 4/3 cameras.

I really like the Olympus EPL line.

If 4/3 is a little too "micro", Sony NEX, Canon EOS-M, Pentax K-01, Certain Ricoh GXR modules, such as the A12, all have APS-C sized sensors.

Keep in mind that micro 4/3 is a pretty small sensor.

As far as I know, the smaller sensor performance has been catching up to very acceptable levels, meaning the smaller sensor in the Micro 4/3rd systems might actually be pretty good for walk around, street, and general photography, since you wouldn't have to lug around a larger DSLR, even I would consider my Nikon D5100 a little on the large size. The limit of camera I would take around would probably be a Nikon D300s, on a day I was planning on shooting on, but for the most part I think I'd like to carry around a nice Olympus OM-D or EP3 with 1 or 2 lens.

smaller the sensor, lesser depth of field

Because you require more working distance to achieve similar magnification, i.e. you have to step further back to fill the subject in the frame.

Why working distance and DOF are related, I'm unsure.

In the long run, I expect EVF to completely replace SLRs, even for professionals.

That would require though that the EVF would have the same resolution as the fotosensor. Then the EVF could display exactly the image you'll get in the end. Right now the best EVFs only have 2 Mio resolution and I think thats even counting every pixel three times (once for every color).

The EVF would also need to be fast enough to operate in realtime, with no noticeable delay.

A third condition is that Autofocus systems for mirrorless cameras would have to be performant enough.

Once EVFs are of really high quality, they will only have one disadvantage over SLRs: they will require current.

Otherwise you'll be able to see 100% what picture you'll get - something even SLRs dont offer, where the final image might still look wildly different from what you can see through the optical viewfinder. So, in theory, EVF > SLR.

Also, lenses can be made smaller and more lightweight without the extra distance to the fotosensor because of a mirror.

I think people will accept this trade. They already accepted they need a lot more current for digital cameras, after all, than with film cameras. A bit more for the EVF wont be a dealbreaker, not even for professionals.

My favorite system right now in existence is the Fuji X one. It still is full of problems, but in 1-2 years it might be ready that I will switch to it. The combined OVF+EVF is the best compromise available for a mirrorless system, given the fact that EVF are still far from where they hopefully finally will end up. And unlike all the other systems, it actually focusses strongly on maximum picture quality.

Most reactions

Back