Mirrorless sales closing the gap on DSLR.

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by fmw, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

For me it was all about looks. I purchased the XP1 based entirely on looks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I went through my honeymoon photos today from 3 yrs ago. All I brought was an olly Em5 and an underrated 12-50 f3.5-6.3 lens. I am very happy with these and even have a few taken by passers by, a lot of the time the shutter was quite slow, but the shots are still very good.

I sold this camera a while back, but boy I am sorry now. A grand small light and great imager. I wouldn't give up dslrs yet but the M4/3 cameras are a great small system. I'll likely be in the M4/3 stats soon enough again (recently purchased a second hand unit, but this 4k photo is intriguing)

3. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  4. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is the reason (size and weight) that I got a m43 (Olympus OM-D E-M1) to use when I wanted something lighter than my D7200 to carry. The Nikon 1 system had limited lenses, and I did not like the add-on EVF of the V3, so I jumped ship to Olympus. The Olympus/Panasonic lenses are a GREAT line up to choose from.

I could have gotten even lighter with the E-M10 by about 90 grams, but I found a good deal on the E-M1 mk1 and went with the older top line camera.

My E-M1 + Panasonic 12-60 weighs about the same as a Nikon D3400 + 18-55 lens. So I get a better body and wider zoom range lens for the same weight. And that is 44% lighter than my D7200 + 18-40 lens. The Olympus is is coming on vacation with this old man.

5. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the performance gap between mirrorless and DSLR's is getting smaller and smaller every year.

i know im usually a little bit of a Nikon fanboy (having shot nikon for so long) but if they dont step it up a notch and get with the mirrorless program (you know, more seriously than the nikon 1) they are going to be seriously behind the curve if DSLR sales continue waning. they are losing out on a growing segment of the camera buying populace.

6. Fujidave

Fujidave They Call me the wanderer Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think that in maybe ten years time it will all be Mirrorless, glad I moved from Canon to Fuji but I did always know Fuji colours were and are great.

7. Jeff15

Jeff15 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It does not surprise me. There must be lots of people like me who got tired of lugging all the DSLR gear around.

8. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I’ve been waiting and waiting and waiting for Nikon to enter the segment and not protect their DSLR sales. Their high end fixed lens mirror less that they do have is lacking.

The rumors are still out here but rumors don’t equate to sales.

9. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They just lost me.
    I jumped ship to the Olympus for mirrorless.
    Though for now, I am shooting both DX and m43.

10. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If I had the spare cash and energy I would have swapped over to Fuji already. Was originally going to go to SONY but their star eater thing stopped me in my tracks then other priorities cropped up.

11. pixmedic

pixmedic The Mustached Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    we sold all our nikon gear when we stopped shooting weddings. when we decided to go mirrorless it came down to fuji or sony. i liked the sony option because i could go mirrorless and stay with a full frame camera but....i absolutely hated dragging the nikons around with the big lenses so it didnt make much sense to go FX again and have to deal with FX glass. plus...sony is expensive!
    I considered going olympus but i was soooo underwhelmed with the PEN5 i had that i just couldn't seriously consider them...however, given that the PEN5/kit lens was a cheap setup i shouldnt have been surprised the low light performance was craptastic at best.
    ive been reasonably impressed with fujis low light performance, even on their super low tier cameras like my A1.
    i eventually want to upgrade my x-e2 and get rid of the A1.

12. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

This. Exactly this.

And I fear that Nikon will end up defunct and eventually go the way of Kodak. This would cause my expensive Nikon lens collection to lose value very rapidly.

This combined with my desire to have a lighter kit for hiking/backpacking to landscape photo spots has me *seriously* considering selling off my entire Nikon kit and jumping to Fuji X series. As it stands my Nikon kit is worth enough to find a pretty inpressive Fuji kit, but I’m worried I won’t like it.. I’m not sold on EVF and I really love my D810.

I’m planning to rent and X-T2 in the very near future to help make the decision.

• Like Like x 1