Mirrorless sales closing the gap on DSLR.

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by fmw, Aug 5, 2017.

1. pixmedic

pixmedic I am the Lord thy Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    we have the x-e2, which is not even close to their top tier line, and it has the option of using EVF or optical viewfinder.
    i really do like evf. its nice seeing the changes immediately in camera when changing ISO or aperture.

2. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

right, there's plenty of rumors on Canikon full frame mirrorless
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

3. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If low light shooting (like your astro photography) is your thing, going crop sensor will not help.
    For a given level of technology, the larger FX sensors will always be better than the smaller DX or m43 sensors, because the pixel is larger, and can gather more light.

One option is to selectively use 2 system, to get the best of both systems.
    This can be expensive because there will be a certain amount of duplication between the systems. Especially if you go with pro glass on the mirrorless.
    I decided to go this way with my DX D7200 and m43 Olympus OM-D E-M1. At some point in the future, I may switch over to m43, but right now it is my secondary system, when I don't want to carry the bulk/heavy DX kit.

4. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    With Astro one has to think of how it's being used.
    yes a FX sensor gathers more light than a DX sensor
    If you are running a fixed camera/lens scenario then time is your limit, and FX gives you more time.

But if you are attaching your camera to a tracking telescope the scope itself also garners much attention here.

For example, if you are running a 5 inch scope it's gathering far less light than a 12 inch scope.
    To me a FX on a 5 inch is more valuable than on a 12 inch. I'm running a 12 inch and finding a 24mp DX is more valuable for distant nebula photography than the cropped 24mp FX image, which was better than a 16mp DX. For general sky/star stuff on a tracking scope I guess it really doesn't matter except for the focal view width you need.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    For a lot of things, viewfinders work better than LCD displays. For me, that matters. I've got a couple of mirrorless cameras, and they are great for things they do well.

But when I put on a long telephoto on a sunny day, it just works better with a viewfinder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I find this discussion of mirrorless and DSLR interesting. I am sure at some point I will get a mirrorless but for now I just like the feel of a DSLR better...it has nothing to do with perfomance.

To me it is like a the comparison of a traditional newspaper and the digital edition. Technically the digital edition is much better. I get the Wall Street Journal everyday this way. My mother gets it in print and when I am visiting her I often grab a cup of coffee and page through an edition I have already read digitally.... and find items I had not seen previously. And, there is something about the act of having a cup of coffee while paging through a real newspaper.

Let's not forget that photography is still in large part art and while the technical aspects of the equipment are important, how the photographer "binds' with the equipment is perhaps more important.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Building on that, I don’t think any mirrorless manufacturer has found a way to match the incredible ergonomics that the popular high end DSLRs are offering.

I get that this is subjective, but most mirrorless cameras seem much less comfortable to hold and use. The form factor isn’t where it needs to be yet for many people to switch.

8. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I should also be clear in that I am in no way suggesting that an individual can only "bind" with a DSLR. I know photographers who have gone mirrorless and prefer it. Also, there are some in our ranks who still prefer film. It really come done to whatever gives you the most enjoyment and the results you want to achieve.

• Like Like x 2
  9. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Not many remember but Pentax not only debuted a mirroless K-01 in 2012, but it was compatible with all Pentax lenses, so you didn't have to completely start over. It lasted less than a year before it was discontinued. Not knocking Fuji or Sony but at my age I'll stay with what I know.

10. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Expanding on my earlier comment. Here's a side by side comparison of the K-01 vs the XT2, Pentax K-01 vs Fujifilm X-T2 Now admittedly the XT2 is more advanced on some levels, but you have to consider that the 01 was released 6 years prior. In technology 6 years is an eternity. Check out the physical size and weight comparison, only 4 ounces difference.

I can't really explain why it failed, whether it was ahead of its time, it's appearance, lack of features compared to dslrs at the time, or typical Pentax run & gun marketing.

11. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Hmmm, let's see. Weight, physically bulky, noisy, non-stealthy, heavy-weight lenses, price. Funny how those considerations seem to be offsetting DSLRs' "incredible ergonomics" in prompting the switch to MILC systems.

12. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Yes and no.

I just bought into the Fuji mirrorless system because it’s so light and compact. And for certain uses that outweighs ergonomics, especially if you plan to have it on a tripod most of the time.

But for me at least, I don’t know that a camera that small is something I’d ever want to use for weddings/events. While my Nikon gear is heavier, it also fits my hand like a well worn in glove. There are no hard edges, no pressure points, etc.

Holding a Fuji (or Sony) camera for more than 5 minutes just feels uncomfortable in my hand. They have hard edges that dig in after a few minutes and no real hand grip to speak of.

For something where I’ll be shooting handheld for an extended time, my D810 isn’t going anywhere. And I’ve spoken to or read of many other photographers who have this same issue with the smaller mirrorless cameras.

Again, this is all subjective. There’s no wrong answer. For some, the smaller body may be more comfortable. But from what I’ve seen from many reviewers, this isn’t actually the case.

Also, price is comparable between DSLR and mirrorless at this point if you’re comparing the same sensor sizes against one another. Mirrorless actually may be more expensive, especially Sony stuff.