Motorcycle Challenge...

Perrys_Girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to this forum & an amateur in the wonderful world of photography. I have been shooting for my own personal enjoyment for the past 5yrs & I find I still have sooooo much I want to learn to create better images. My husband & I purchased a Harley Davidson a couple years ago & ever since I have been so let down by the all the shots I have taken of our bike & bike events...I just can't create the 'WOW' image I know can be created. I shoot with a Canon 50D, Canon 70-200 L f4 & Tamron 28-75. I really want to learn the best way to photograph a motorcycle & the people who ride. I feel my biggest area of weakness is LENS choice & possibly composition...(although composition isn't a problem when I am shooting other subjects) I just am not sure how to show the beauty of the bike & pose the riders in an attractive, non distracting way. I anyone could help me with this dilemma I would greatly appreciate it!!! There is an empty space on my wall that is crying out for an image of our bike...:sexywink:

I feel my biggest area of weakness is LENS choice & possibly composition

No matter what the subject is you can find a plethora of info on these to topics on google and youtube video that will help you improve your pics
google.gif

I'm a nooB too, my friends and I take pics of each other with a little different flare than the HD poses. I searched "panning" in youtube and figured it out somewhat:

DSC_0120.jpg

If the bike isnt crashing, probably not me. I am the guy behind the camera :)

I kinda like this one. It was taken not by me but a fellow rider.

busted.jpg

First: Do you want a picture of the bike moving, or stationary? What kind of bike is it, and one or two people?

If it's moving, it's easy, go for something like examples posted by Schwetty or 2Wheel. I would try for something that will give you a 3/4 view, preferably coming out of a curve; use the road to lead the eye to the bike and rider(s) and make sure that they dominate the scene.

If it's stationary, then I would go for a 3/4 view again, shot form fairly low, and probably with a wide angle. If it's a sport bike, have the rider in a casual forward lean, one hand on the handlebars (far hand) and the other holding the helmet on his (her) knee. If it's a chopper/Harley/ "black leather" bike, than have the rider astride the bike, leaning back. If it's a cruiser, I would look for something casual, say standing beside the bike, one foot on the peg.

We ride a Soft Tail Deluxe, which has that "Old School" look & alot of Chrome...definately the "Black Leather" bike. The images I am having the hardest time with are stationary & I really would like to set up the shots & jump into place & use my remote to snap the pic that way I can honestly say "I created this image"... at this time I only own the two lenses mentioned before & I just cant help but wonder if maybe I should be using something else to shoot bike shots with... what would you suggest??

It's always been my thought that motorcycle photo's should be in motion. I was never a fan of static shots. Maybe you can find a poplar local riding area and practice with other riders. I currently own 17 motorcycles but I shoot 95% off-road.
DSC00983-1.jpg

... what would you suggest??
Without knowing what sort of look you want ("Badboy", happy, "biker and his woman", or whatever) it's really hard to say. My suggestion would be to search the Internet for "Harley photos" and similar terms and find ones you like and then try and re-create them. If you're not sure how to set up the shot, just post a link asking for help, and I'm sure that someone here can help you.

Most reactions

Back