My first developed film

Here's a short strip of unexposed film that has been developed:

Depleted%20Fixer%20Results.jpg

On the right is a portion that is not properly fixed due to depleted / exhausted fixer. On the left, properly fixed.

Notice how the properly fixed film is clear all the way across the film. On the right, there's still silver left on the film due to the depleted fixer not being able to remove it. The result looks likes the film has been fogged.

All my Paterson tanks leak a bit ... that's what my sink is for.
I just make sure I put more developer in to compensate.

Paterson needs
Here's a short strip of unexposed film that has been developed:

Depleted%20Fixer%20Results.jpg

On the right is a portion that is not properly fixed due to depleted / exhausted fixer. On the left, properly fixed.

Notice how the properly fixed film is clear all the way across the film. On the right, there's still silver left on the film due to the depleted fixer not being able to remove it. The result looks likes the film has been fogged.

My film looks pretty much like the right side. How do I fix this problem? The fixer is a new bottle.

After reading the link dxqcanada posted, and about cloudy, foggy film, I saw it said 5 min for fixing. I did 3 min. I'll try 5 min next time.

It may be fresh to you, but it may be old stock to begin with. Another possibility is you got the ratio wrong.

All is not lost... you can always 'refex' the negatives. Just start with a good batch of fresh fixer and pour it into a container with the film. In 30 seconds, you should start to see them clear up.

It may be fresh to you, but it may be old stock to begin with. Another possibility is you got the ratio wrong.

All is not lost... you can always 'refex' the negatives. Just start with a good batch of fresh fixer and pour it into a container with the film. In 30 seconds, you should start to see them clear up.

Is it safer to put too much fixer in with water than try to get it right and have too little? Or is that another problem?

I don't know.... I've never been down that road nor have looked into it.

Most reactions

Back