My first pictures – torment time for everyone and not just me!

Ramesses

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone:

With camera in hand (finally) and lens mounted, it was time to become a “photographer” by taking some pictures. Unfortunately, I played the part of photographer and a bad one at that. I have a long way to go both in composition and the technical aspect. I have to start sometime, I guess.

I am also posting these three pictures to test how this thing works. Two of the photos are from the Portofino Marina near my house and the other from the front of my house. What I was trying to do? Only the almighty knows!

Best regards,

Ramesses

Attachments

• $House 3.jpg
    $House 3.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 90
  • $Portofino 1.jpg
    $Portofino 1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 89
  • $Portofino 3.jpg
    $Portofino 3.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 66
Congratulations on your new "toy" and on being (becoming?) "a photographer" now, and thank you for sharing your first attempts at "photography" with us ... the first from right in front of your house has some nice colours (a green tree!), but I feel that one does not really have that much of a focal point or subject matter or whatever is the right word for it. There are some nice colours and flowers, but also houses and a street and that tree ... and it all is just ... erm ... busy and there's not really an "anchor" for the eyes to rest upon.

The other two of the marina are nice but I think I would have either gone for the sailing boats distorted reflections or for their entire masts, trying not to crop those off (you have to in some of the closer by ones sometimes, but in these two I feel that by moving the camera slightly up you'd have "nailed" the subject better).

Congratulations on your new "toy" and on being (becoming?) "a photographer" now, and thank you for sharing your first attempts at "photography" with us ... the first from right in front of your house has some nice colours (a green tree!), but I feel that one does not really have that much of a focal point or subject matter or whatever is the right word for it. There are some nice colours and flowers, but also houses and a street and that tree ... and it all is just ... erm ... busy and there's not really an "anchor" for the eyes to rest upon.

The other two of the marina are nice but I think I would have either gone for the sailing boats distorted reflections or for their entire masts, trying not to crop those off (you have to in some of the closer by ones sometimes, but in these two I feel that by moving the camera slightly up you'd have "nailed" the subject better).
Hi :

Thanks for taking the time and critiquing the photos. It is the only way that one can learn and grow. I fully agree with your comments. I’m neither disappointed with the photos – I did not expect much from them, nor I am elated – they are not good.

The colors and definition are not to my liking at all. However, it is a matter of getting to know and setting the camera properly – it will take time. The composition, in my opinion, is more important. I have lost my touch and it will take some time to get back where I was 15 years ago. It will take lots of patience.

The shot, in front of my house, had a focal point – the car. I forced the shot and what’s the point? A lot of people might say, so what? I’ve seen one of those before. However, what I thought it might be interesting was that the tree provided like a natural window to the outside. It was like looking through a window. The problem is that we see with two eyes and the camera with one. The other problem was the light source in the street or the right side of the picture – too much light compared to the center or left side. That is very hard to handle, especially at this this time when I do not know the camera that well. I shot in P mode with a -5 brightness setting. Shooting and getting the vivid colors of flowers and trees is very simple – point and shoot. They are always dramatic and no big deal there.

The marina is a different story. The colors were not right. Again, I have to learn how to work this camera, because it shoots too light. I believe that there is a problem with the firmware, though. I cannot use the Auto mode, at all. I have to go to M, A, S, or P and disregard the other modes. I will miss the baby mode and especially the baby ****ing mode. :) They are useless.

I thought that the picture with the power plant in the background might be interesting. However, it did not work. Here you have a setting that is really nice and pleasant, to say the least – the marina, sail boats, reflection in the water, nice Nieman painting wall with whales in the background (You should see the other side with the ocean and pier – nice.) That is what I tried to capture. Only to be ruined with an ugly power plant or the present day dilemma and challenges of industry and environment. However, it was not asymmetrical enough, the colors did not work, and the picture did not accomplished what I wanted to do. Nevertheless, I need a lot of work, but this is fun!

Thanks and best regards,

Ramesses

Most reactions

New Topics

Back