My First Strobe Set

Bluffkin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Gooooood morning everyone.

I've recently launched my website srstphotography | The journey of a semi-amateur which is a site/blog to serve the purpose of documenting my new adventure into portraiture photography. I've been reluctant to do so (confidence issues) but now I want to take that step. Friends and family have been on at me to take family shots of them and I'm sure I can do it with the proper equipment. As I am going to be new to lighting, I want to start off with something affordable, I've read other posts here and they seem to take off in a different direction.

My budget is probably around 350-400 GBP. I was looking at something like this to start with?
900w Studio Flash Lighting set Photography Strobe light 3 x 300w Portrait Kit UK | eBay

Is it adequate for me needs? Now I hear you already saying, "But Bluffkin, what are your needs?" As far as I know, they are these:

• Something that will put me on the right track, will help me learn and at the same time produce quality images, friends and family (even the occasional model should I get better)
  • Something that will (I'm hoping) last me around 1 to 2 years? Before I move on to better stuff

Those two are really the main points here. I want to learn it, and I don't want that to effect the overall quality of the shots. I have faith in my basic photographic knowledge, I just want to move it on a bit.

Should I just buy 1 quality strobe, stand, softbox and use that? But it won't really suffice for a family of four shot?

I have no other lighting equipment apart from another Flash. It's name escapes me. Begins with Y and is from hong kong. I was advised it as a cheap starter to move away from the in built flash (Nikon D7000)

I hope this is enough information for you guys and girls. Do let me know :)

Bluffkin

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like plenty of light, and you can do many different setups with three monolights. Have fun learning!

Those will indeed 'do the job' to start with. They're sold by a number of vendors and while they're not exactly professional-quality, nor well built, they will give you lots of light. That said, have you looked for used gear? Used pack & head systems such as Dynalite and Speedotron can be a fantastic value on the used market and it's a great way to get into real, professional gear at a bargain-basement price. You can buy some great kits on eBay for ~$4-500 USD, which is well within your budget. Shipping may be pricey, but IMO, it would be worth it in the long run.

Thank you very much. Could you link some of these used? So I can get an idea? Thank you :)

Thank you. The second one seems out my price range, especially without stands or softboxes!!

Not sure what your country's electrical needs are; you of course need stuff that works on your country's "mains" power. The three low-priced monolights seem like they would get you off to a good start at a reasonable price, and if treated carefully they ought to last at least two years.

Why o why does pretty much every single noob that wants light ask how good some E-bay/cowboy/cheap kit is for their needs? Does no one research any more? When I purchased my first OCF speedlight it was a Vivitar and I did research. I didn't just go to ebay and type "camera light" or something.

And even more so today, there are a ton of resources out there with all kinds of options ranging from relatively reliable budget lights to sets that cost tens of thousands of dollars.

If you're going to invest in monolights, look for a light that you can get serviced and not a vendor that just sells it and will have nothing to do with you then look to see what type of mounting system it has and what future brands you like that it'll work with. Otherwise, after your light cooks itself in the first three months, you're SOL on the hardware then when you decide to upgrade, you'll have to spend even more money to at least change all your mounting hardware on your modifiers that aren't umbrellas.

If you live in the UK spend a bit more google Lencata and get some quality lights for a reasonable price

Very helpful! Puts me on the right track. Thank you. Will take a look and get back to ya

If you live in the UK spend a bit more google Lencata and get some quality lights for a reasonable price

Very helpful! Puts me on the right track. Thank you. Will take a look and get back to ya
Ive got some of their lights and they beat some of the top makes

Yeah I am taking a look at those lights. Appreciate the help.

Having looked, I think I will put in for some overtime at work :)

Now that I know of some quality lights, I can take the specs and features and look more into them individually and even compare!

Last edited:
*thread cleaned of senseless silliness*

You all behave yourselves!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back