My portrait...

GrantH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just want to know what you all think of my portrait. I used two bare speedlites with the "spreader" down on each. One camera left and one camera right. Left was a little less power for fill with the key light being on the right. I personally feel I did okay with what I have, and being a very first attempt. C&C/Comments/Tips welcome.

The one thing I'd like to figure out is the right of my nose has a shadow (left side on image).

First Portrait Copy by ProperStanceImages, on Flickr

It'd be rockin' if there were an image there to look at!

Is this what they call an attachment disorder in psychology? lol!

This has zero editing, simply converted the raw file. I know there is plenty I can do, simply trying to get the basics right now. Ordering a convertible umbrella and stand tomorrow.

It's a bit lacking.

I just want to know what you all think of my portrait.

Well I think since a portrait photo would never be sold or even used without some post processing, then my thinking is why even post it? You want us to tell you what we think...well we think it needs some post processing, but you said that you already know that. Plus you are also waiting to get a convertible umbrella and stand. So how about once you get that and you take some more pics, and you edit them to a "finished product" then you post them?

If you really push us for details now, you wont like what we say it seems...

You look a wee bit sweaty there G. I dunno...this is what relatively hard, undiffused flash looks like...sometimes it's a good look. Other times, not so much. The light is creating a strong shadow on the collar area and the nose shadow you already mentioned...this lighting setup just isn't the "best". I think the main light is a bit too LOW, in relation to your nose, causing the nose shadow to go upward, and to actually touch the edge of the eye on the left of the photo; that's a subtle clue that the lighting is bordering on "horror-film lighting" which comes from "below". When the nose shadow hits the eye...the main light is...too low for the light to be perceived as "flattering", under most situations. Unless we're shooting promo pics for Frankenstein. Or doing promos for one a them zombie films the kids like so much these days...

The umbrella will change the light coming out of those strobes quite a bit--it will convert the SIZE of the light source into a relatively huge source, as compared with the 1.25 x 3 inch size of a speedlight's Fresnel lens and or wide-angle diffusion panel AKA the "spreader" you mentioned in your OP. THat will give a much,much different lighting effect. Less specular, so that slightly sweaty brow of your'n would not show up so much, and softer-edged shadows when used at closer ranges, such as from 2 to 10 feet.

I just want to know what you all think of my portrait.

Well I think since a portrait photo would never be sold or even used without some post processing, then my thinking is why even post it? You want us to tell you what we think...well we think it needs some post processing, but you said that you already know that. Plus you are also waiting to get a convertible umbrella and stand. So how about once you get that and you take some more pics, and you edit them to a "finished product" then you post them?

If you really push us for details now, you wont like what we say it seems...

I don't guess help based on my current equipment is possible, so I will come back when I have gotten my convertible and practiced a little more. Ah well.

You look a wee bit sweaty there G. I dunno...this is what relatively hard, undiffused flash looks like...sometimes it's a good look. Other times, not so much. The light is creating a strong shadow on the collar area and the nose shadow you already mentioned...this lighting setup just isn't the "best". I think the main light is a bit too LOW, in relation to your nose, causing the nose shadow to go upward, and to actually touch the edge of the eye on the left of the photo; that's a subtle clue that the lighting is bordering on "horror-film lighting" which comes from "below". When the nose shadow hits the eye...the main light is...too low for the light to be perceived as "flattering", under most situations. Unless we're shooting promo pics for Frankenstein. Or doing promos for one a them zombie films the kids like so much these days...

The umbrella will change the light coming out of those strobes quite a bit--it will convert the SIZE of the light source into a relatively huge source, as compared with the 1.25 x 3 inch size of a speedlight's Fresnel lens and or wide-angle diffusion panel AKA the "spreader" you mentioned in your OP. THat will give a much,much different lighting effect. Less specular, so that slightly sweaty brow of your'n would not show up so much, and softer-edged shadows when used at closer ranges, such as from 2 to 10 feet.

The dog just HAD to go out, ran from me a bit, and I wasn't so concerned with how I "looked" so much as the lighting. Thank you Derrel, you did exactly what I was hoping someone would. My main light was about the same height as my head, so quite possibly too low in the realm of things. I plan to practice a lot more and get pretty good at this type work as it is something I can do for business cards and such with my families business friends. A quick trip home would pocket me a bit of money. I actually enjoy more than I thought. I look forward to the future.

Try again. Next time find a corner on a room with white walls that have nothing on them. Try out with one flash bounced off the ceiling and the other of the adjacent wall creating two large light sources instead two small light sources.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back