Need a landscape lens under $150

Rafterman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Since I sold my D3100 kit a week ago, I no longer have a lens wider than 35mm. I need something to shoot landscapes, one of my favorite subjects.

I ONLY need this lens for landscapes and nothing else. It must be 24mm or wider and I want to stay under $150. Used is fine, manual focus is fine, and VR is not a requirement. This lens would frequently be used on a tripod anyway.

I've read good things about the old Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 kit lens and can easily pick one up used around $150. I'm also considering an older manual focus prime lens like the 20mm f/4 AI.

Should I just snag an 18-70, or are there any other suggestions?

Since I sold my D3100 kit a week ago, I no longer have a lens wider than 35mm. I need something to shoot landscapes, one of my favorite subjects.

I ONLY need this lens for landscapes and nothing else. It must be 24mm or wider and I want to stay under $150. Used is fine, manual focus is fine, and VR is not a requirement. This lens would frequently be used on a tripod anyway.

I've read good things about the old Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 kit lens and can easily pick one up used around $150. I'm also considering an older manual focus prime lens like the 20mm f/4 AI.

Should I just snag an 18-70, or are there any other suggestions?

I would suggest u go for the older prime.

One and a half c-notes doesn't go far when it comes to good glass.

I totally get that part. However, I just need something right now that's A) wider than 35mm and B) won't cost a fortune. After buying my 35mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8D, my lens funds are tapped out for a few months at least. My 18-55 VR kit lens took doggone nice landscape shots. Maybe I should just get another one of those. Adorama has a used one in "D" condition for just $120 or "E+" for $99.

To be honest, the legacy primes are actually running more than an 18-70 would cost me. For example, a 24mm f/2.8 AI-S in decent condition is going for around $200, while the 18-70's are around $150.

One and a half c-notes doesn't go far when it comes to good glass.

I totally get that part. However, I just need something right now that's A) wider than 35mm and B) won't cost a fortune. After buying my 35mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8D, my lens funds are tapped out for a few months at least. My 18-55 VR kit lens took doggone nice landscape shots. Maybe I should just get another one of those. Adorama has a used one in "D" condition for just $120 or "E+" for $99.

To be honest, the legacy primes are actually running more than an 18-70 would cost me. For example, a 24mm f/2.8 AI-S in decent condition is going for around $200, while the 18-70's are around $150.

Just keep in mind that good glass will stay good for years.... decades even. Bodies, however, have a lifespan of 3-5 years max. So I gotta ask you:.... do you want to buy a lens just to have the focal length, or do you want to invest in a lens?

Another question..... do your plans include going to FX format? If so, you might try to find a lens capable of being used on an FX body. That way, when you DO make the transition, you're not starting all over. Yeah, I know.... it'll cost more money. But that cost will be more than recovered in the future if you go to FX.... hence the 'investment'.

do you want to buy a lens just to have the focal length, or do you want to invest in a lens?

No, I just want to buy something wide. I don't consider a $100-150 lens an investment by any stretch.

do your plans include going to FX format?

Not anytime soon, to be sure. I just bought my refurbished D7000 on January 2nd with only 200 actuations on it. I'm going to be on the DX format for a LONG time. Hence the reason I also just bought the DX-only 35mm.

If you've got your heart set on a prime, there's 24mm 2.8 AI Nikkors lenses on ebay selling withing your budget all day long.

What's wrong with the old stand-by kit lens, the Nikkor 18-55?

If you've got your heart set on a prime, there's 24mm 2.8 AI Nikkors lenses on ebay selling withing your budget all day long.

Have you found any under $150 that don't look like they were run over by a lawn mower?

What's wrong with the old stand-by kit lens, the Nikkor 18-55?

:er:

My 18-55 VR kit lens took doggone nice landscape shots. Maybe I should just get another one of those. Adorama has a used one in "D" condition for just $120 or "E+" for $99.

poo poo these all you like but their optical quality is tough to beat.

Not poo-pooing them at all, especially since I'm considering buying another one.

However, several factors make me want the 18-70 over the 18-55:

• 70mm long end vs. 55mm (should I want to use it as a walk-around lens)
  • 3.5-4.5 vs. 3.5-5.6 max aperture
  • Instant focus override vs. switch-operated
  • Fixed filter ring vs. rotating
  • Metal mount vs. plastic
  • Rubber mount gasket vs. no gasket

Have you found any under $150 that don't look like they were run over by a lawn mower?

Well, considering they quit making 'em back in, like, 2005, you expect to find a new one cheap?

Besides, who cares if they look like were run over by a lawn mower.... as long as they still work and produce sharp images.

I had a 28mm for sale for weeks for $135. No one seemed interested so it went onto ebay. Sold for $158.

I had a 28mm for sale for weeks for $135. No one seemed interested so it went onto ebay. Sold for $158.

And after eBay's fees and PayPal's fees, you ended up with the original $135 you had listed it for here. ;)

True, but that's why I listed it for $135 here... I knew I wouldn't have all those fees. Either way, it's sold.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back