Need Vintage styled digital camera recommendations

Chodis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So basically I am very new to photography, as in I have zero experience at all, besides taking a few pictures with my phone xD.
I'm looking into buying a camera that can do the job and take a good quality picture. I am not looking to buy an expensive camera as I doubt I will be taking up photography in any professional manner.

As well as the camera taking a decent quality picture I am quite keen to use it as a fashion accessory, as in I'm looking for a nice looking everyday camera.

I really like the vintage/retro styled digital cameras and would appreciate it if somebody could help me find a decent camera for my needs as I honestly don't know what to look for in terms of specs.

My budget is preferably around a few hundred dollers, preferably a cheaper but still viable option.

This type of style is what I am looking for:http://modculture.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451cbb069e2013487852e82970c-pi

But I would much rather have a coloured one such as:Rakuten: VIVITAR vivicam T327 12.1MP retro style digital camera rechargeable- Shopping Japanese products from Japan

Any help at all would be wonderful :). Thank you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well first off I said I was looking for a camera that took a good quality picture, aswell as being something nice to look at, of course I'm not solely using it for a fashion accessory. But I guess that wasn't clear enough. The reviews on the product above are shocking and a few customers said it took a horrible photo, I am looking for a camera that has the vintage look and can take a quality picture.

I am looking for a camera that has the vintage look and can take a quality picture.

$Hasselblad_500_CM.jpg

Well first off I said I was looking for a camera that took a good quality picture, aswell as being something nice to look at, of course I'm not solely using it for a fashion accessory. But I guess that wasn't clear enough. The reviews on the product above are shocking and a few customers said it took a horrible photo, I am looking for a camera that has the vintage look and can take a quality picture.

Old cameras were built like timepieces.. quality materials and precision.

Not too many digital cameras are built to that same ideals... they are built like consumable electronics. Ample use of plastics. The few that do, will cost a little premium due to the extra care place in the design.

The next thing that comes to mind. High end P&S that has a metal body, leather cover, and takes decent photos. My wife has one and she likes it... she thinks the camera itself is "pretty". Fortunately, it has dropped quite a bit in price that hopefully falls in your budget. The case designed for it is also quite "pretty"... leather materials. The camera and matching case comes in red, brown, and black leather.

Fuji XF-1

Amazon.com: Fujifilm XF1/Blk 12MP Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Black): Camera & Photo

or perhaps an used Fuji X10.

Others that come to mind quickly blow what I perceive as "few hundred" in terms of price. Budget should be included in your response.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The photo link to the body style you like is for a $1300

How much control do you want over your images?
The link you gave to the vivitar is a point and shoot and will give almost no control.

If your budget is only a few hundred dollars then you are going to be limited to a point and shoot digital that gives you no control.

You should know that peoples on this forum tend not to shop for point and shoot cameras as they want to take control over their images, so it is unlikely that you will get many recommendations on point and shoot cameras.

To get a camera that will give you control over your images and has a vintage style you are going to need to start your budget at $500 and preferably at about $1200

However you can find plenty of old film cameras that fit your style wants and budget.

Let me ask you a blunt question...

If you are looking for a fashion accessory, why not just buy a vintage film rangefinder camera???? or a necklace, or something that IS a fashion accessory??

The OP didn't seem to say he or she ONLY wanted a fashion accessory, but just that a certain look was preferable to the modern styling. And my vintage film rangefinder is anything but a fashion accessory. It's actually a kick-ass camera. :)

You're probably better off looking at mirrorless cameras. That Fuji that you linked to has gotten excellent reviews, but if your budget is just a few hundred, it'll be out of your price range if you buy new. You also will probably have to sacrifice some of the vintage look you prefer. The Pentax Q seems to fit your stated budget and have a little bit more of a 'retro' look than, say, a Panasonic, but it gets average reviews.

I suggest you search for mirrorless digital cameras and check for reviews, and also consider buying used if you find something you like that is too expensive to buy new. You can try keh.com for used cameras.

If it's a point-and-shoot, I've had good experiences with the Canon G12.

Thankyou for the help guys I'm kinda getting the idea, but seeing as I have zero experience in buying a camera I wasn't sure what their price range was. I understand now that to get a decent vintage styled camera I will have to pay a bit more than if I was to get a normal camera due to the design costs. With that in mind I am willing to spend up to around 700 dollars, if I can get a decent long lasting camera. The majority of the pictures I will be taking are of nature/landscape as I go hiking a lot and want to document my journeys. I'm not sure what type of camera I will need for that but by the sounds of it a point and shoot camera won't be sufficient. So what is the next uhh tier of photo shooting I guess, sorry don't know any of the lingo.

Oh and I am definitely looking for a digital over a film camera, I know that much.

$700 should be enough for a Fuji XF-1 (see my link) or X10 or X20. If you want a unit with interchangeable lenses, Fuji also makes a X series body that probably will blow your budget but worth considering.

G-series Canon is also there... but its not as "vintage" in style as the Fuji.

Could you explain what the F1, X10, X20 etc mean ? Is it just the quality of lense?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back