Supercool0076

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

I am a Student and really like travelling and meeting new people. Since I travel a lot, I click lots of pictures. I am a novice and doesn't know much about the technicalities of cameras but know little. I am looking for a budget camera (200 - 350 euros) with manual focus (basically for blurry backgrounds..(sometimes) ) and decent optical zoom. I was going through web and cameras like Nikon l840 .. sony rx100 seems to me as good options. If you guys could help me out and suggest, it would be a big deal. Thank you.

Manual focus has little to do with producing blurry backgrounds. Aperture, the size of the sensor, the focal length, and the closeness of your focus point are for most intents and purposes what you need to think about when you are looking to produce blurry backgrounds.

Do note that there are four iterations of the Sony RX100 (i, ii, iii, and iv). Do not make the mistake of reading a review for the Sony RX100 iv, and then purchase a cheaper Sony RX100 i, ii, or iii. They're older models. I have read that the 4k (video) feature built into the RX100 lasts for 5 minutes of video, and then you have to wait a while or it will overheat. I'm not sure if this has been fixed. I also hear it's a fairly good compact camera.

I think either camera you have listed are decent all-in-one cameras.

You are on an enthusiast website. You will get some sound advice. You will get some ridiculous advice. Most will direct you toward investing in a DSLR (a camera that you can put different lenses on). If you are interested in investing more over time and purchasing lenses, that's a possibility. The all-in-one cameras you have listed will do a lot more for you if you just want to buy once and be done, and not spend time learning how to edit photos. It depends on what you want, how much time you want to invest into learning, and how much money you want to invest over time.

Manual focus has little to do with producing blurry backgrounds. Aperture, the size of the sensor, the focal length, and the closeness of your focus point are for most intents and purposes what you need to think about when you are looking to produce blurry backgrounds.

Do note that there are four iterations of the Sony RX100 (i, ii, iii, and iv). Do not make the mistake of reading a review for the Sony RX100 iv, and then purchase a cheaper Sony RX100 i, ii, or iii. They're older models. I have read that the 4k (video) feature built into the RX100 lasts for 5 minutes of video, and then you have to wait a while or it will overheat. I'm not sure if this has been fixed. I also hear it's a fairly good compact camera.

I think either camera you have listed are decent all-in-one cameras.

You are on an enthusiast website. You will get some sound advice. You will get some ridiculous advice. Most will direct you toward investing in a DSLR (a camera that you can put different lenses on). If you are interested in investing more over time and purchasing lenses, that's a possibility. The all-in-one cameras you have listed will do a lot more for you if you just want to buy once and be done, and not spend time learning how to edit photos. It depends on what you want, how much time you want to invest into learning, and how much money you want to invest over time.

Amazing.. I am grateful for such a nice and quick response.

Yes, I know about the the other versions of rx100, but according to my budget the base versions seams to be viable. Yes, at the moment I am not thinking of investing further to purchase any lens. So among rx100 and nikon l840, which one will you suggest. It would cool if you could suggest some other better model in this price range which fits my need.

Thanks in Advance

The Sony RX100 has a 1" sensor, the smaller the sensor the harder its gonna be to blur the background even though the last 2 versions of this camera had pretty fast lenses.
To get good blurring I would strongly advise getting an APS-C camera like Nikon D3300 and add a 35mm 1.8G or 50mm 1.8G
You will see that under roughly same conditions the bigger sensor on the D3300 will give you better low light performance, better dynamic range, and with the fast lenses better Bokeh (background blur)
The D3300 is more expensive but if you can squeeze it a bit then you can get it and I think will be glad you did in the long run.

If not then the RX100 is a good camera too as long as you get one of the last 2 models with the faster lens.

Amazing.. I am grateful for such a nice and quick response.

Yes, I know about the the other versions of rx100, but according to my budget the base versions seams to be viable. Yes, at the moment I am not thinking of investing further to purchase any lens. So among rx100 and nikon l840, which one will you suggest. It would cool if you could suggest some other better model in this price range which fits my need.

Thanks in Advance

I'm not sure what cameras I would suggest otherwise. You named a couple of good all-in-one choices though.

One of the newer RX100's seem like a smart choice.

Getting blurry background needs (a) large sensors (b) large apertures (c) long focal lengths and/or (d) close distances - its actually very simple at close distances.

With a "budget camera" for just 200$ this is really hard, well, basically impossible to do, outside of macro range and unless you are OK with film cameras.

Theres besides nothing wrong with film cameras. Some professionals still use film because they think film gives them better colors. Most people however prefer digital just like most people prefer CDs over vinyl records despite the later still having advantages.

One of the RX100 series of cameras might manage that little bit, but really not much. The RX100 Mark I and II dont have much aperture, and the Mark III and IV lack having long focal lengths.

Your best bet would indeed be the aforementioned entry level DSLRs like a Nikon D3300 or a Canon equivalent and a "nifty fifty" (although only the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 actually is called that). Prime lenses are best for blurry background because its easy to make them have large apertures.

Lomography would be a case to give a thought to. I think the element of being an adventurer and taking alot of pictures would create a beautiful album if you use it creatively. Also, you'll have something more than mere photography :)

I would give you advice with cameras but the others explained it to perfection.

Patrick.

Most reactions

Back