New camera

I agree with @Derrel. Being a Fuji X user, the main issue with adapted lens is CA. I tried an older FD macro lens and others on my Fuji and it wasn't even close to the native 80 or 60 macro for that matter when compared. Even with focus peaking and getting a sharp image, the resolution and CA left a lot to be desired. Now if your looking for something artistic, then you can achieve some desirable results under certain, constrained situations. I think there is a place for the adapted, vintage glass but it is pretty limited from my experience. The glass Fuji is making is far superior to probably most, if not all vintage glass. I suppose there maybe exceptions to the rule, such as high end vintage glass but many of those are in the same price range as their modern, native, Fuji glass. Sure, if you have a vintage Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AIS, it will work but stick on Fuji 50 f/2 and its not even close, you'll end up putting that Fuji 50 f/2 on almost every time, and that's manual or autofocus. And this is coming from a guy that mainly uses manual focus. I like putting on my m42 Tair 135 but it really has to be under a certain situation to obtain the desired effect I'm after. It was kind of fun in the beginning but it wore off real quick. Nothing beats the modern, Fuji, native glass in my opinion.

BrentC said:
>SNIP>>>You are correct that it's best to buy native lenses, especially when it comes to Olympus lenses. These are for the people who have moved from dslr to m43 and have a bunch of nice lenses from their previous system they could use for $400-$700. You are not going to buy one for a one off lens, unless you need a very specific lens that your system doesn't have. My cousin needed a specific Canon lens for his video work and for him it was worth it to get the metabones. The extra stop of light helped a lot as well.

I'd like to point out that, for the umpteenth time, beagle keeps recommending to a newbie, that mirrorless cameras "can use all the d-slr lenses". And glossing over issues, and outright mis-stating BASIC facts. And we have others here, apparently not having read the OP, and emphasizing that a few high-end adapters that cost two to three times the OP's lens budget can work-around being not-native lenses.

Please note the Original Poster's post:

Hey people,
I'm new to the forum and I have a question.
I travel a lot, and I want a good camera. Not even sure what the perfect type of camera would be, but I'd like a dslr. I'm looking for a camera good for both video and photography. The only limitation would be the price, as I'm looking for a max budget of around £1000. In that budget I would get a camera, couple batteries, sd card, tripod, a good all round lens, or two different types of lenses if I'd get a dslr. Not sure if I missed anything there, but I'd like to get all the important equipment for around £1000. Any recommendations?
Many thanks in advance,
Djordje"

Again...the OP is not an experienced shooter, and we have people who are, apparently, not really addressing the OP's post,or his needs, nor his state of experience. But are instead, viewing things from the POV of very experienced shooters...or mirrorless fanatics who seem to want to deny the most-basic issues like poor focusing, no AF, no EXIF, etc.etc..

We're not talking about somebody's cousin...we're not addressing a very seasoned, middle-aged British shooter who owns 150 lenses and multiple camera systems...we're not addressing the £1000 budget the OP has...

The OP even stated, "Not even sure what the perfect type of camera would be, but I'd like a dslr."

Let's try to keep in mind the Original Poster, and his budget, his wants, and the facts. I give up.

OK, £1000 sounds like a reasonable budget
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Hi!
I'm newbie also !
My answer would be something like: "One that they can handle and feel comfortable with". I had the Nikon D5300 for quite a while and I'd say it's one of the best you could get for under $1000. But I would recommend they visit a good retailer and look at different makes. It has to feel right/good, they have to come to terms with the menus etc.

Cell phone is all you need

Snapsort.com will let you compare most cameras against one another. I prefer Nikons, and think the D7200 would suit you. It can be had new, used, or refurbished, along with accessories, and a lens, or two, for what you have to spend. Shop around, a bit, before grabbing one. The D7100 is a bit older, and cheaper, but nearly as good, as is the D7000. Canon, Pentax, and others, might also suit you. If you go Nikon, and get a camera which has a built in focus motor...the D7XXX modesl do, the D5XXX, and D3XXX, models do not...you can find some low cost, older, AF-D, AI-S, and AI, lenses, to use with the camera. Newer AF-S, and AF-P, lenses will cost more. If you try to use the older lenses on a camera without a built in focus motor-such as the D3300, D5600, etc-they will not auto focus. Getting the most gear for your money can be a challenge, and takes some comparison shopping, and a willingness to do without the latest, greatest, items.

Canon's M50 is good in many ways, but a mirrorless, not DSLR, camera.

Most reactions

Back