New friend, new muse. My first portrait shoot in NYC

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my new friend Mikhail. I always seem to crush on the boys that I photograph so it just works out that they become my inspiration and muse. It also helps that the boys here love to have their photos taken.

1377519_636863083001871_1668066013_n_zps285f46fe.jpg

bro is retro.

Nice. Not sure I'm in love with the shorts and the way his legs are, but it does look wanton as heck, which is probably where you were headed here ;)

Great framing here. The brownstone building and the fire escape just scream New York! ahhh, I love it. :heart:

Doesn't hurt that he's a stud, too. ;)

Nice. Not sure I'm in love with the shorts and the way his legs are, but it does look wanton as heck, which is probably where you were headed here ;)
Wanton is the perfect way to describe what I was intending with the pose and perspective.

Last edited:
Great framing here. The brownstone building and the fire escape just scream New York! ahhh, I love it. :heart:

Doesn't hurt that he's a stud, too. ;)
Thanks! I was a little hesitant on framing him through so much railing when I shot the photo, but after viewing it on the camera's screen afterward I immediately loved it. It went from what I expected to be a shot that would get scrapped to being one of my favorites from the entire shoot.

And agreed, total stud. He's also a complete sweetheart. He takes care of me every time I hurt myself on my skateboard. :heart:

I was having difficulty placing this at first - until I realised you weren't in Alaska any more; then it made sense. :) The OOF railings made me blink at first but on further consideration I decided that they fit the image and it works. :thumbup:

The OOF railings made me blink at first but on further consideration I decided that they fit the image and it works. :thumbup:

Agree, the rails in the foreground made me stop and really look and I like that!
I also agree that he's yummy ;) Nice shot!

I like everything about the image except the pose. It reminds me of that one Friends episode. :) (You know that one when that guy has the loose gym shorts on and you can see his junk!

I like this set better. #1 & #2 are the stand outs.

I may be swimming against the current, but I really don't like the OOF horizontal lines in #1. That said, the first one of the second set outstanding, and IMO, the strongest image you've posted. Well done!

I may be swimming against the current, but I really don't like the OOF horizontal lines in #1. That said, the first one of the second set outstanding, and IMO, the strongest image you've posted. Well done!

Thanks for the feedback and compliment tirediron.

Well it sure didn't take you long to find new model friends. Nice work.

Dan's on top of this, but for those of you playing along at home I want to point out how tightly organized the color palette is.

The skin tones, hair, jeans, and backgrounds are all drawn from a quite narrow gold/brown/yellow/orange color palette. I will even submit to you that the pictures you like least are the ones with the least tight palettes, but this is a something you can observer -- or not -- yourself.

Most reactions

Back