newborn shoot help!

MxG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm pretty new still to photography. I was asked by my sister inlaw if I could take some photos of her newborn . Ive been watching videos on YouTube but I still have questions?

Wat lens should I use?
I have 35mm dx , old sigma 100-300 f4, and the kit lens 18-55

Should I use flash or natural light . I have the yn568ex. I live in So Cal and the sun is still shining bright.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated?

Thank you

-Alex

Ps. Camera is a nikon d5200

Im no pro but i have a 1 year old ....make a reflector or if you have one even better anything you can bounce the light off of you dont want to hit the baby with the flash . i read it dosent hurt them but ehhh im just not for it ... a tripod wouldn't hurt they move alot ..but if you can make the light work for you with some bounce you can get a great shot especially in the awesome cali sun i miss it :(... id set up the light on a doll or something then move in the baby when ya feel its good to go .. im sure youll get some more PRO advice here soon :) ..i have the same flash i love it

If you have a nice south-facing window that would be ideal, but don't be afraid to mix a little flash in for fill if necessary. There is absolutely no credible evidence of which I am aware which states that a few speedlight flashes will harm a child of any age.

If the ambient light allows, I would suggest using the 18-55 for the compositional flexibility it will allow, however if you're in a low light situation, then the larger maximum aperture of the 35 will be handy. Whatever you do, review your depth of field tables and based on a estimate of your camera to subject distance, determine a maximum aperture which will ensure the necessary depth of field.

There is absolutely no credible evidence of which I am aware which states that a few speedlight flashes will harm a child of any age.
QFT.

Yet another baseless urban legend. I think the noise a speedlight makes when it flashes evokes an impression of physical force.

A key is that the duration of the flash from a speed light is so very short.
At full power the flash from a speedlight is about 1/1000 of a second.

Thanks a lot for the advice. Ill definitely review dof . Any good sites that you can recommend?

Most reactions

Back