newborn shots - 1st attempt

Dmariehill

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We recently traveled out of state to adopt our son. We were stuck out of town in a vacation condo for 2 weeks waiting to come home when I realized any chance for newborn shots lay with me. I just had my camera and flash to work with. And he was getting too old for the traditional naked laying on his stomach shot. So I had to get a little creative for poses.

This one is my husband's favorite. I couldn't get him to hold his hand the way I wanted with only 1 finger down. He was holding the baby and posing at the same time so it was a bit awkward.
$IMG_5910bw.jpg

I did get a foot shot, although it's a little non traditional. Hubs likes this one but I wish the back foot was also in focus.
$IMG_5885cropbw.jpg

This is my favorite. Although I think it would have been better on the white background.
$IMG_5898abw.jpg

I think newborn photography is not going to be in my wheelhouse - but these aren't horrible. Thoughts, critiques? I need to take 1 month pics soon, so tips on adjusting the lighting or composition etc are helpful.

I rather like the first one; I agree that the hand position isn't quite ideal, but I do like sense of scale. I think however your conversions could use a little work. they appear rather mid-tone rich and lacking contrast.

I rather like the first one; I agree that the hand position isn't quite ideal, but I do like sense of scale. I think however your conversions could use a little work. they appear rather mid-tone rich and lacking contrast.

Is that more of a lighting issue or something I do post processing? Right now, I'm really only using iphoto or picassa for editing so I've been pretty limited in what I can do.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back