Next equipment purchase help

c_pass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,
I currently have the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR & the 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR and I'm thinking about what piece of equipment I should get next. I'm thinking either a flash or a new lens.

The flash I'm thinking about is the "Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash".

The two lens that I am looking at is the "Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens" or the "Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR Lens"

What I want to do?
Be able to take photos in low light scenarios...

Questions I have:
1) I believe if I get the flash, I'll be able to use it with the lens that I already own, to compensate for not having a 2.8 or better lens (assuming I can use a flash where ever I am). Is this correct?

2) Would the 35mm DX lens actually have a focal length of 35mm on my nikon 5100 or does the crop factor play a role in it and its really a focal length at about 50mm?

3) The 50mm is a FX lens, so it will have the crop factor and really have a focal length of 75mm of so on my nikon 5100?

Thanks for any answers or insight you can give.

The speedlight will provide additional light, and help you get some of the shots that you couldn't otherwise without a faster lens, yes. Remember though that flash doesn't solve all of your problems, and it has a limited reach; anything much passed 30-40' and you're going to be out of luck. That said, I believe that a good speedlight is an ESSENTIAL part of any photographers kit.

The crop factor effects ALL lenses; regardless of whether thry're DX or FX lenses. The only difference between them is the image circle, that is the size of the "picture" that the lens projects on the camera's sensor. The 35mm lens will give you an effective field of view of a 50mm lens on a full-frame camera, and the 50mm will give you the effective field of view of a 75mm. My suggestion would be to go for the 35mm since that will give you a field of view similar to what is referred to as a 'normal' lens; that is: One which produces a perspective which is most similar to that produced by the human eye.

If you're going to be shooting a lot of portraits however, you might want to consider the 50mm as the longer FL is considered beneficial in portraiture.

Thanks for the info tirediron!

Nikon D5100

Most reactions

New Topics

Back