Next Lens for after Kit lens on my D7000 for Portrait Sub $500

UBERGAMES

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a D7000 with the 18-105 kit lens and would like to add another lens. I don't want to spend more than 500.

Thanks all!

What do you hope to gain with this new lens that your current lens doesn't accomplish?
What do you like to shoot?
The "right" next lens can differ drastically from one person to another.

Exactly that ^^!! What sort of portraits? Indoor, outdoor? How much space do you have to work in? My personal favorite portrait lens is my 85mm f1.4D; you can find the 1.8 version (used of course) for ~$400. My second favorite is the 70-200 f2.8, but that's not quite in your stated budget. Remember that a new lens isn't magically going to improve your work, and that the 18-105 is actually a pretty decent piece of glass.

Get a 50 1.8 G, you will be good indoor outdoor and you will get the much needed light. that 18-105 is a good a all purpose lens but this lens is flawed with many problems. if you want to do portrait, get the 50 1.8G (about 200$), or even the 85 1.8G (at the top of your budget)

85mm lens is a good option, I personally used the 50mm lens and 60mm lens for my portraits.
I would recommend the 50m 1.4D, beautifuly sharp lens, very fast so it is an added bonus for night photography
The 50mm 1.4D is a great lens and very cheap, I just bought mine in near mint condition for 170$ on ebay.
This will leave you enough money to buy a telezoom like the Nikon 70-300mm VR which can be had for 250$-350$ used.

for an all purpose lens to compliment your 18-105, if you dont need a very fast lens for low light work, I would get the nikon 70-300 VRII lens.
I think its the best consumer grade "bang for your buck" lens. the VR on it works great, and lets you shoot at a pretty slow shutter speed even handheld which will help with low light conditions since it is not a "fast" f/2.8 lens.

I'm saving for the Sigma 17-50 2.8 to go with my 35m and 55-200 shooting on my d5100. The sigma is £319 here in the UK anyone using this lens?

I was looking to do and start more portrait and also just family events/sports etc... I would like a fast lens so I can use it in lower light. I've played around with the 50mm d and didn't find it too bad but I think I might as well get the G and be able to enjoy it for a longer time. I like the idea of getting a 300mm lens also to help with zooming in at sports but I don't want to take away from being able to do portraits with it as well. Is the 70-300mm good for portraits as well?

I was looking to do and start more portrait and also just family events/sports etc... I would like a fast lens so I can use it in lower light. I've played around with the 50mm d and didn't find it too bad but I think I might as well get the G and be able to enjoy it for a longer time. I like the idea of getting a 300mm lens also to help with zooming in at sports but I don't want to take away from being able to do portraits with it as well. Is the 70-300mm good for portraits as well?

Yes, the 70-300 can do portraits and it feels pretty good on a D7000, but then, I’m biased because I have one, and it happened to be the second lenses I purchased for my D7000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back