Nikon 55mm Micro

<< Way back, reversal rings were also used as many lenses work better at close focus when reversed on the camera (Nikon BR1). Then you need a reversal filter ring to use 52mm filters on the lens' bayonet. <<

Nikon still offers reversal rings. The best results are with a reversed wide angle.
With those, the proportion of lens-to-object vs lens-to-film/sensor is larger than in longer focal lengths.
When a W/A lens is reversed, at near 1:1, the optical corrections work the same, only the object is near and the sensor is far.
The correction "don't mind" if light goes through forward or backwards.

"Once upon a time" I bought a 28mm just to be used reversed, for Micro (Ah... 'macro'... no... Micro... :) ).
Sometimes it was about 0.5" from the object. The true coping is getting the object properly lighted, through the small available gap. It's takes careful placement of tiny reflectors.

<< No end to the fun.>> - Indeed...

Ben, if you don't mind, could you identify this image for me? I took in in 1965 and my notes only say 'Jafa Gate'. There was construction about halfway up the steps which I've ps cloned out. I so enjoy this and plan to have it printed & framed 16x24 or so.
JG.jpg

Hi Paul,
Can't point to the street name, but it is in Jerusalem, inside the Old City.
By the type of the renovation, it seems to be in the Old Jewish Quarter.

That Quarter (1 of 4) is not adjacent to the Jaffa Gate, but then, it's just

a short walk from the Jaffa Gate.

Could have you given the 'Jaffa Gate' name to all the pics' on that tour, which started at the Jaffa Gate?

I do hope this helps.

Paul,

I've sent the pic' to someone who is very familiar with the Old City.
Waiting for results... :)

Hey i actually have a 28mm and would look to try this...please send me a link of the reversing ring..id like to purchase one.

would the18-55 work better then the 28mm or not...i guess i could try both...theyre both 52mm filter rings.

Most reactions

Back